Expired

Can't post a toy in the UK with batteries in anymore :-/

Found 29th Jul 2013
so i toddled off to the post office with my parcels and the clerk started asking bizarre questions.new ruling that you can only send batteries like AAs etc in the UK if they are new and sealed in original packaging :-/ i used to work for the post office for many years so knew about hazard restrictions etc but this seems a bit beyond silly.
maybe some posties lick the batteries?? rant rant!
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
MiscBatteryToys
23 Comments
I thought it was only lithium batteries that were banned?
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/prohibited-goods-uk

"Batteries that are classed as dangerous goodsClassified in the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organisation’s Technical Instructions. by the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) Technical Instructions are prohibited. This includes wet spillable lead acid/lead alkaline batteries (such as car batteries), used alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH), nickel cadmium (NiCd), zinc-air batteries, and damaged batteries of any type.

Lithium ion/polymer/metal/alloy batteries when not sent with, or contained in/connected to an electronic device, are prohibited.

Lithium ion/polymer/metal/alloy batteries are allowed when sent with or contained in/connected to an electronic device, but are subject to packaging, volume and quantity restrictions. Please see Restricted Goods page.

For more information on lithium batteries please see the IATA Lithium Battery Guidance Document.

Sealed lead acid batteries are allowed in the UK, but are also subject to packaging, volume, quantity and labelling restrictions. Please see Restricted Goods page.

Alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) and nickel cadmium (NiCd) batteries may only be sent when new and in their original packaging. Please see Restricted Goods page."
Batteries - new alkaline, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) or nickel cadmium (NiCd) Including D, C, 9V, AA, AAA and AAAA alkaline batteries. Must be new and sent unopened in their original retail packaging. Surround with cushioning material e.g. bubble wrap. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

royalmail.com/per…eas
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 29th Jul 2013
Don't set me off on these restrictions,very annoying.
Banned
maybe some posties lick the batteries??

ah. so its that kind of toy oO
I wonder how many incidents have occurred for this to come into operation?
I'm supposed to be posting a new battery to my lad in NZ for his mobile phone. How do I get it there now ???
Joey Bloggsy

I wonder how many incidents have occurred for this to come into operation?

probably batteries leaking.
steve1221

I'm supposed to be posting a new battery to my lad in NZ for his mobile … I'm supposed to be posting a new battery to my lad in NZ for his mobile phone. How do I get it there now ???

Just tell them that its in its original packaging then there should be no problems.
Banned
1. Make sure it's sealed.

2. Don't tell them.

3. I'm sure you can buy any kind of battery in NZ - it is not the dark continent.
alanlukeb1

probably batteries leaking.

Also the ones in mobile phones can catch fire if they are snapped in half or damaged.
steve1221

I'm supposed to be posting a new battery to my lad in NZ for his mobile … I'm supposed to be posting a new battery to my lad in NZ for his mobile phone. How do I get it there now ???

Lie about what's in the parcel
Original Poster
there are different restrictions to phone batteries on their website
I see what your saying but how often is that likely to happen. Just looks like a safety first and forget the rest thing to me.

I can understand it if it's used batteries and are in poor condition but to do a blanket ban to me looks like an over reaction.
Umm, just don't tell them, unless the post office Xray all your mail now before accepting it from you over the counter?

Mallinersha

Umm, just don't tell them, unless the post office Xray all your mail now … Umm, just don't tell them, unless the post office Xray all your mail now before accepting it from you over the counter?

No but airports are more likely to, and then customs @ New Zeland
They are getting ready to sell off the Royal Mail. Maybe new regulations would have created any extra overhead in terms of insurance or training costs that may prove unattractive to potential bidders??????????

mclovin9091

.No but airports are more likely to, and then customs @ New Zeland

I'm pretty sure they're too busy looking for drugs and other items to send a battery back to you
Mallinersha

I'm pretty sure they're too busy looking for drugs and other items to … I'm pretty sure they're too busy looking for drugs and other items to send a battery back to you

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/408/1fb/341/resized/haha-meme-generator-ha-ha-that-s-silly-483ecf.jpg
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 29th Jul 2013
They wouldn't send it back, they would just destroy it and charge you for the privilege of wasting their time :O
Mallinersha

Umm, just don't tell them, unless the post office Xray all your mail now … Umm, just don't tell them, unless the post office Xray all your mail now before accepting it from you over the counter?

Everything going anywhere by plane gets x-rayed by the Royal Mail.
It's getting stupid, watch the high street stores laugh their way to the bank.
I believe this problem has arisen from the problem with inferior Chinese quality goods.If one saw fake Britain a short while ago people were maimed and killed because of the bad Chinese batteries.I believe that they are causing fires on planes in flight so we have to thank e-bay for shoddy rubbish as usual.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants