Groups

cant recieve phone calls but internet still works ;(

since all this rainy weather started i have noticed a crakling on my phone line,but since yesterday i cant even talk to anyone on it!
    the phone still rings but when i answer there is just loads of cracking and i can hear the sound of a phone ringing faintly as if i am calling someone
    there is no dial tone on the phone either
    yesterday i had problems connecting to the internet but today its fine
    can there still be a fault on the line if the internet is ok?

10 Comments

had that with my cable......internet and tv worked but no phone

engineer came out and said the phone line had worn away at the exchange, so he replaced it

Original Poster

its weird as my phone isnt even registering the calls so i dont know who is ringing me
    but it has rang non stop today which is unusual as i dont talk on the phone much
    we are with utility warehouse,they are not open weekends

PM me your phone number I'm a BT engineer and I'll test it. Sounds like your line is 1 leg dis. Your ADSL can sometimes work through this. PM me your number and I'll advise you what to do next depending on the result.

Original Poster

thanks for your help paddy very kind of u

given u some rep

No problem, let me know how you get on

just had my bt one done friday no dial tone just crackling all sorted now from bt

Where good aren't we working on a sunday, I was at work today time and 3/4's musn't grumble

choc1969;2814351

had that with my cable......internet and tv worked but no phoneengineer … had that with my cable......internet and tv worked but no phoneengineer came out and said the phone line had worn away at the exchange, so he replaced it

Cable don't have exchnages, and there phone and broadband work differently to ADSL (over a phoneline)

I had that once. Turned out, becuase Bulldog had screwed up my contract, we were being cut off.

Hi,
    I had the exact same problem.. I could at first get phone calls with the crackling on the line and internet ok.
    After about 7 days the internet started playing up and would only contact if the landline phone was off the hook.. About 3 days after this the phone line just went dead.
    Bt came out and it turned out the cable line ran through trees and over time they had rubbed there way through the cable until a time where it just cut it dead,they had to replace the cable which was very easy and took them around 20 mins but Bt want to charge us £200 because they say we did not keep the trees trimmed enough (even though we only moved in 4 months ago and the trees are actually outside of our home boundary!!)
    Not sure if this maybe your problem but hope it helps a tad.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions