Groups

Capped Broadband Query

My gf is on virgin broadband, still in a years contract but her service has been capped to dial up speeds between 4pm and midnight.

can she leave her contract, don't think she's been in it long though

38 Comments

No not without paying. It hasn't been capped to dial up speeds. The only way she would have been capped to a speed that low is if she has been marked in the top 1% of 6 million users who abuse their connection more than everyone else. If that's true then she deserves it but I doubt whether she is!

I download gigabytes of data and it I get excellent download speeds. If they advertise unlimited broadband then it should mean that and you shouldnt be penalised because of it as this would constitute the supplier breaching the contract with their customer. Unless there is some other intermittent factor then she shouldnt be getting capped at all.

If there is no reason for it then complain to Trading Standards and ConsumerDirect.

Even if they have capped it, she is effectively paying for a service that she is not receiving and they should be lowering the monthly tarrif as well as capping it. That is to say put her on a lower download speed tarrif.

I think Virgin IPs are leased on a 48hour basis so its not as if she leaves it on downloading 24/7, it would disconnect her at some point. She's either doing something (knowingly or not) that she shouldnt be doing. Or Virgin are penalising her for no reason.

Original Poster

I would say that she downloads next to nothing compared to me (*cough 100gb a month, sorry typo ;-)), Probably less than 10gb a month.

there are 3 computers running not always at the same time but only she downloads. Xbox 360 gets bit of hammering but thats come to a standstill now because she's back at uni (3rd year) and needs to concentrate on her work. (I know the amount of computers doesn't matter to the amount downloaded, especially when thy are mainly used for browsing).

I did a speed test last night during the capping and it was struggling to reach 74kb/s

StevenA2000_uk;3106038

I download gigabytes of data and it I get excellent download speeds. If … I download gigabytes of data and it I get excellent download speeds. If they advertise unlimited broadband then it should mean that and you shouldnt be penalised because of it as this would constitute the supplier breaching the contract with their customer. Unless there is some other intermittent factor then she shouldnt be getting capped at all. If there is no reason for it then complain to Trading Standards and ConsumerDirect.Even if they have capped it, she is effectively paying for a service that she is not receiving and they should be lowering the monthly tarrif as well as capping it. That is to say put her on a lower download speed tarrif.I think Virgin IPs are leased on a 48hour basis so its not as if she leaves it on downloading 24/7, it would disconnect her at some point. She's either doing something (knowingly or not) that she shouldnt be doing. Or Virgin are penalising her for no reason.

If you read the small print it's only unlimited if you fit the Fair Use Policy which is fine for most people and in place to stop people running huge server farms or their business from it which has a detrimental effect on other users.

fwibble;3106193

I would say that she downloads next to nothing compared to me (*cough … I would say that she downloads next to nothing compared to me (*cough 100gb a month, sorry typo ;-)), Probably less than 10gb a month.there are 3 computers running not always at the same time but only she downloads. Xbox 360 gets bit of hammering but thats come to a standstill now because she's back at uni (3rd year) and needs to concentrate on her work. (I know the amount of computers doesn't matter to the amount downloaded, especially when thy are mainly used for browsing).I did a speed test last night during the capping and it was struggling to reach 74kb/s

74kps is not dial up though lol. It's roughly just under 1mb. What speed does she pay for?
    Are you certain none of the other computers haven't been compromised and are hammering the connection. Best thing you can do it turn everything else off, reboot the router and the one pc then run the speed test during the day and then again in the evening. If it's still really low in the evening ring Virgin, they will help, they're now 4th best customer service in the UK according to last months Guardian survey. :thumbsup:

SunTzu;3106014

No not without paying. It hasn't been capped to dial up speeds. The only … No not without paying. It hasn't been capped to dial up speeds. The only way she would have been capped to a speed that low is if she has been marked in the top 1% of 6 million users who abuse their connection more than everyone else. If that's true then she deserves it but I doubt whether she is!

Nobody is marked as a heavy user/abuser. Traffic shaping/capping applies to anyone who exceeds pre-defined limits at given times.

This should clears things up virginmedia.com/hel…php

If the user hasn't exceeded any of these limits then the problem lies somewhere else.

Traffic shaping could be in place as you say, also checking the PC for background nasties dominating any bandwidth, but the contention ratio could be a factor.

Sounds like peek time contention issues to me, or someone is leeching of your network downloading.

Have you had official confirmation from Virgin that you have exceeded you usage limit

Oh, and as touched on further up this thread I think, make sure, if it's a wireless connection, that the connection is secure and passworded. If I scan available networks on my computer there are no less than 5 unsecured networks available, any of which I could connect to.

Celticsun;3106328

Sounds like peek time contention issues to me, or someone is leeching of … Sounds like peek time contention issues to me, or someone is leeching of your network downloading.Have you had official confirmation from Virgin that you have exceeded you usage limit

I don't think you get that unless you are one of the REALLY heavy downloaders (and I'm talking about 100's or 1,000s of gbs per month).

Thats why i asked if OP had been notified, Contention could still be to blame

SunTzu;3106264

74kps is not dial up though lol. It's roughly just under 1mb. What speed … 74kps is not dial up though lol. It's roughly just under 1mb. What speed does she pay for?

If she is on size 'M' or 'L' she would only have to download 200mb/500mb respectively between 4-9pm to be throttled by 50/75%, which would take her down to approximately the speed she suggests, ie, just under 1mb speed.

Original Poster

back to the original post, can she leave her contract without a huge fee

No, not unless she can prove that the fault is with the provider and they are not supplying reasonable service.

Just check the contract first though virgin do a few different ones, and you never know what you may find in the small print

fwibble;3106424

No, as no breach of contract from Virgin has occurred.

fwibble;3106424

Even if she could, I don't honestly think there is better broadband available anywhere else. Most of them having download caps/limits in place (Sky have just removed theirs but I know a few people who have it and all complain about slow speeds).
    Just my opinion. I have Virgins 20mb BB and although I frequently encounter traffic shaping it only slows me down for a while. Far better than an actual download cap, ie 15gb per month or whatever.

deek72;3106270

Nobody is marked as a heavy user/abuser. Traffic shaping/capping applies … Nobody is marked as a heavy user/abuser. Traffic shaping/capping applies to anyone who exceeds pre-defined limits at given times.This should clears things up http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.phpIf the user hasn't exceeded any of these limits then the problem lies somewhere else.

You're wrong, trust me. :whistling:

SunTzu;3106556

You're wrong, trust me. :whistling:

Wrong where?

The whole "Traffic Shaping" thing is an absolute joke. What is the point of advertising and paying for a 10MB connection when I can't even use it?

I'd be much happy if they worked on making the infrastructure better, so I'd rather have unlimited downloads with half the speed.

deek72;3106600

Wrong where?

About nobody being marked as a heavy user/abuser.

XtremeDJW;3106602

I'd rather have unlimited downloads with half the speed.

You DO have unlimited downloads. You just have your speed throttled at certain times. Which is exactly what you ask for, right?

Economy 7 for broadband.......

The Virgin Traffic Mgt is there to invoke by them if needed however, I have downloaded about 10gb in the last several days with no hampering of my service. I also have my 360 online gaming on for at least 12 hours a day and I use VoiP as my main landline telephone so I get a fair whack out my service and I can honestly say that I have received a great service from Virgin.

The short term IP lease time is there to prevent people running their own servers 24/7 from a non-business customer line and to assit in traffic management in case people leave there computers on.

If you have several PCs on at once and all downloading then this will have an impact on the download speeds on each PC.

I would also check for Malware or Spyware, especially if you have P2P software running. It may be that other software programs are using your bandwith, or as other posts have stated, other people if your wireless connection is unsecured.

SunTzu;3106264

74kps is not dial up though lol. It's roughly just under 1mb.

It is only slightly faster than dial up.

1Mb = 1000Kbps.

Benjimoron;3106646

It is only slightly faster than dial up.1Mb = 1000Kbps.

Dial-up = max 56kbps so a lot faster.

A standard 56k modem can theoretically transfer 56 Kilobits of data a second, this means that you can (again theoretically) transfer up to 7 Kilobytes a second (although to get a full 7k is near impossible due to the compression overhead).

SunTzu;3106615

About nobody being marked as a heavy user/abuser.

Well I'm just pointing to facts as published. I suspect you're going off rumours, unless you can show proof? And anyway, even if the top 1% are 'marked' do they get any different treatment than the other 99% who get shaped after downloading x amount during hours of xx?

deek72;3106621

You DO have unlimited downloads. You just have your speed throttled at … You DO have unlimited downloads. You just have your speed throttled at certain times. Which is exactly what you ask for, right?

But your not getting the service that you pay for! How dare I have the nerve to pay for a service and actually use it!

deek72;3106687

Well I'm just pointing to facts as published. I suspect you're going off … Well I'm just pointing to facts as published. I suspect you're going off rumours, unless you can show proof? And anyway, even if the top 1% are 'marked' do they get any different treatment than the other 99% who get shaped after downloading x amount during hours of xx?

Yeh, or maybe I work there???? :thumbsup:

XtremeDJW;3106714

But your not getting the service that you pay for! How dare I have the … But your not getting the service that you pay for! How dare I have the nerve to pay for a service and actually use it!

I know what you mean, mate. It bugs me when I'm in the middle of downloading some por... er, I mean Linux stuff :whistling:,when my speed suddenly drops by 75%. It depends on when you started with Virgin. When I started with NTL (pre-virgin) there was no traffic shaping policy so I can rightly complain that I'm not getting what I paid for (not that it would do any good, mind) but if you started with Virgin since TS was introduced then you have no complaint, as it's in the T&C.

SunTzu;3106753

Yeh, or maybe I work there???? :thumbsup:

Right, but do you have PROOF? Or do the 1% get different treatment than the 99%?

deek72;3106784

It depends on when you started with Virgin. When I started with NTL … It depends on when you started with Virgin. When I started with NTL (pre-virgin) there was no traffic shaping policy so I can rightly complain that I'm not getting what I paid for (not that it would do any good, mind) but if you started with Virgin since TS was introduced then you have no complaint, as it's in the T&C.

I didn't think about that. Blueyonder were honestly the best provider IMO. We had no problems with anything at all back then.

I might at least give VM a ring then, see if I can at least get them to drop the monthly payments for a bit!

XtremeDJW;3106810

I didn't think about that. Blueyonder were honestly the best provider … I didn't think about that. Blueyonder were honestly the best provider IMO. We had no problems with anything at all back then. I might at least give VM a ring then, see if I can at least get them to drop the monthly payments for a bit!

Go for it! Nowt to lose.

deek72;3106797

Right, but do you have PROOF? Or do the 1% get different treatment than … Right, but do you have PROOF? Or do the 1% get different treatment than the 99%?

can't really say too much but the words 'walled garden' pretty much sum it up :thumbsup:

SunTzu;3106667

Dial-up = max 56kbps so a lot faster.A standard 56k modem can … Dial-up = max 56kbps so a lot faster.A standard 56k modem can theoretically transfer 56 Kilobits of data a second, this means that you can (again theoretically) transfer up to 7 Kilobytes a second (although to get a full 7k is near impossible due to the compression overhead).

Alot closer to dial up than the 1mb you were saying it was close to.

Which one is it closer to???

Benjimoron;3109195

Alot closer to dial up than the 1mb you were saying it was close … Alot closer to dial up than the 1mb you were saying it was close to.56k74k1000kWhich one is it closer to???

omg. I think you need to look up the differences between kiloBITS and kiloBYTES :x

Original Poster

riiiight calm down people,

:giggle:

she's stopped downloading now, probably for good. I'll use my plus.net night time download as that is free unlimited download (high speed) and doesn't effect my contract.

her dad does use the pc as a freeview player, don't know if thats downloaded or hooked up to an ariel though

I find Plus.net and Entanet are quite similar (£19.99/m packages), both come into their own in different areas.

But if like I suspect you're really only interested in being a download wh_re then I guess they're about the same :giggle:.

SunTzu;3122183

omg. I think you need to look up the differences between kiloBITS and … omg. I think you need to look up the differences between kiloBITS and kiloBYTES :x

I know the difference thanks, where have either of us mentioned bytes? We've been talking in bits (b) lowercase,
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?38
      2. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?55
      3. iPhone x53
      4. Led light bulbs. Never used them, what do I need to know?914

See more discussions