Groups

Capping Gas/Electric BRITISH GAS

Just to let you all know - I phoned BG today to swap on to the Capped tarrif.

BG told me that they had a 2 hour meeting today to confirm that the prices are going up and they are only letting existing customers go on to a capped tarrif today. As of tomorrow they will not be doing this anymore.

Just a heads up that prices are going up, so if you want to cap do it TODAY!!!!

BTW - i am not telling people to switch to BG. I am simply advising BG customers that they may want to switch on to the capped tarrif today as it will be lower than all other tariffs as of tomorrow

46 Comments

Banned

nope cos BG is over priced for capped.

they've announced the rises. 35% for gas and 9% for electricity

can you cap your prices if you pay on a pre paid meter???

Original Poster

which makes capping a bit less of a rip off!!! Remember - its capping at todays prices, not the new ones!

Original Poster

ilovepink;2634590

no, unfortunately you can't.

gemz700;2634600

no, unfortunately you can't.

oh no thats me up the u know what:x

ilovepink;2634689

oh no thats me up the u know what:x

I did read on MSE last night there is a way of getting your meter changed, we used to have a pre-pay in our rented house it was extorsion cost us £20 a week for electric and that was over 2 years ago!!

BG is carp! ive just left them for putting my bills up to a rediculus amount

Original Poster

king261;2634808

BG is carp! ive just left them for putting my bills up to a rediculus … BG is carp! ive just left them for putting my bills up to a rediculus amount

everyone's putting bills up a ridiculous amount!!!

so on these price comparison sites it says i wont save any money on my bill, do they base that on the current prices not the new higher prices? im very confused.

Original Poster

well BG announced the rise today but i assume the price comparison sites will have the new prices yet as they ahven't been put into 'effect' yet.

so if its saying i'll be paying 80 more when i switch to a new tariff il be able to recoup this loss once the prices go up?

Original Poster

lumoruk;2634908

BG prices are applied with immediate effect, so any capping will be done … BG prices are applied with immediate effect, so any capping will be done at the new priceshttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7533389.stm

I can confirm I capped at the old prices today - as stated in my OP - British gas are only doing this today.

Original Poster

guerilla;2634912

so if its saying i'll be paying 80 more when i switch to a new tariff il … so if its saying i'll be paying 80 more when i switch to a new tariff il be able to recoup this loss once the prices go up?

Are you supplied by British Gas already???

Banned

gemz700;2634892

well BG announced the rise today but i assume the price comparison sites … well BG announced the rise today but i assume the price comparison sites will have the new prices yet as they ahven't been put into 'effect' yet.

very much doubt they will offer you a cap now that increases has been announced. What gets me is that 50% of the population are still with BG and have NEVER switched. They are uselss for customer service and prices.

They have only recently been competitive was to get people to switch back to them hoping they now wont want to go through another switch and will put up with the new prices.

I'm with atlantic and the current cheapest cap anywhere is 70% more than what i currently pay for electric and gas :w00t:

I'm staying put :thumbsup:

do you wanna help me out then csiman? im very confused. my gas is with npower and my electricity is with southern electric.

Original Poster

csiman;2634956

very much doubt they will offer you a cap now that increases has been … very much doubt they will offer you a cap now that increases has been announced. What gets me is that 50% of the population are still with BG and have NEVER switched. They are uselss for customer service and prices. They have only recently been competitive was to get people to switch back to them hoping they now wont want to go through another switch and will put up with the new prices.I'm with atlantic and the current cheapest cap anywhere is 70% more than what i currently pay for electric and gas :w00t:I'm staying put :thumbsup:

Soz but I dont think you understood my OP

I am a british gas customer
    I phoned to cap today (at old prices)
    CS told me they can only do this for the rest of the day (at the old prices)
    I capped at old prices
    Capping from tomorrow will be at new prices

Prices are 24.756/10.895 elec + gas 6.754/2.833

Original Poster

mmm i think the cheapest BG prices were click energy 5 (before the increase) which was 21.082/7.655 elec and 5.684/2.385 gas

Banned

gemz700;2634991

BG tomorrow will be at new pricesPrices are 24.756/10.895 elec + gas … BG tomorrow will be at new pricesPrices are 24.756/10.895 elec + gas 6.754/2.833

WOW! What a rip-off. Compare them to mine (over twice the price:w00t:):-

I'm paying with atlantic:-

Electricity
    10.26p per unit
    10.2p per day standing charge
    Gas
    2.62p per kWh
    14.1p per day standing charge

Banned

lumoruk;2635036

Seems BG really do like to screw their customers, even with the projected … Seems BG really do like to screw their customers, even with the projected price hikes I will be matching BG old prices :lol: I'm a low user so don't use that many secondary unitsI'm paying with Eon;ElectricityNormal units up to 900 kWhs19.2465 penceNormal units10.5525 pence per kWhGasNormal units up to 2680 kWhs4.5696 penceNormal units2.9127 pence per kWh

maybe you should switch to atlantic then as they would have to double to reach your prices.

Original Poster

csiman;2635174

WOW! What a rip-off. Compare them to mine (over twice the … WOW! What a rip-off. Compare them to mine (over twice the price:w00t:):-I'm paying with atlantic:-Electricity10.26p per unit10.2p per day standing chargeGas2.62p per kWh14.1p per day standing charge

Mmm that is good. is that capped?

the way it works are that capped tarrifs are always slightly more expensive than the standard tarrifs, at the time of taking them out. However when the standard tarrifs raise, the capped ones wont, thus saving you money. So although you capped before BG put thier prices up, you will still be paying slightly more than you were before you capped.

Should use price comparison sites to figure out which company is the cheapest since it all depends on the usage of that household. Atlantic sounds cheap but for me, they are not the cheapest. npower and scottishpower are better options.

Original Poster

sparxuk;2635258

the way it works are that capped tarrifs are always slightly more … the way it works are that capped tarrifs are always slightly more expensive than the standard tarrifs, at the time of taking them out. However when the standard tarrifs raise, the capped ones wont, thus saving you money. So although you capped before BG put thier prices up, you will still be paying slightly more than you were before you capped.

yes I'm well aware of that

Standard tarrif
    22.546/9.923 elec 6.151/2.25 gas
    Capped tarrif
    24.756/10.895 elec 6.754/2.833 gas.

Original Poster

By the way, in my post i was not telling people to switch to BG. I was simply advising BG customers that they may want to switch on ot the capped tarrif today as it will be lower than all other tariffs as of tomorrow

Banned

gemz700;2635392

By the way, in my post i was not telling people to switch to BG. I was … By the way, in my post i was not telling people to switch to BG. I was simply advising BG customers that they may want to switch on ot the capped tarrif today as it will be lower than all other tariffs as of tomorrow

which tariff have you capped with?

Original Poster

sassie;2635416

which tariff have you capped with?

standard tariff

24.756/103895 elec - 6.754/2.833 gas.

As I said before, this one is only available today. As of tomorrow, you can cap til 2011 but its at the new extortionate prices!!

So glad I capped with BG at the weekend.

Banned

gemz700;2635435

standard tariff 24.756/103895 elec - 6.754/2.833 gas.As I said before, … standard tariff 24.756/103895 elec - 6.754/2.833 gas.As I said before, this one is only available today. As of tomorrow, you can cap til 2011 but its at the new extortionate prices!!

so there only allowing people to cap at their standard rate, also is there a fee to come out of this?

trying to get through to BG now, no good so far waiting 21mins.

looked at the web site it has capped until 2011, is this the one to go for? :?

thanks

Eventually got through!!:x

Representative told me prices have changed today.

The new capped until 2011 is available as of tomorrow via phone or now via website, didn't know why the delay on the phone application. There is a 70 pound cancellation fee for gas and 30 pound for electricity if you cancel early. Protected from price rise but if the cost goes down (some chance!) the price you pay will go down. Obvioulsy you pay a bit more on both fuels on this price plan.

So looks like either change supplier and wait for them to increase or go capped until 2011:?

Deano37;2636341

Eventually got through!!:xRepresentative told me prices have changed … Eventually got through!!:xRepresentative told me prices have changed today.The new capped until 2011 is available as of tomorrow via phone or now via website, didn't know why the delay on the phone application. There is a 70 pound cancellation fee for gas and 30 pound for electricity if you cancel early. Protected from price rise but if the cost goes down (some chance!) the price you pay will go down. Obvioulsy you pay a bit more on both fuels on this price plan.So looks like either change supplier and wait for them to increase or go capped until 2011:?

Ive just rang them, i told them they offered it to a friend of mine today, they offered me 9.8% for 15months, ring them back try again, think they shut at 8pm, be quick

Original Poster

sassie;2635691

so there only allowing people to cap at their standard rate, also is … so there only allowing people to cap at their standard rate, also is there a fee to come out of this?

Yeah it's about £50 i think if you leave before 09/09. After that you're free to leave

Original Poster

Deano37;2636341

Eventually got through!!:xRepresentative told me prices have changed … Eventually got through!!:xRepresentative told me prices have changed today.The new capped until 2011 is available as of tomorrow via phone or now via website, didn't know why the delay on the phone application. There is a 70 pound cancellation fee for gas and 30 pound for electricity if you cancel early. Protected from price rise but if the cost goes down (some chance!) the price you pay will go down. Obvioulsy you pay a bit more on both fuels on this price plan.So looks like either change supplier and wait for them to increase or go capped until 2011:?

NOOOO the 2011 one is the new one - persist for the old one they ARE allowed to give it out today only!!!

just got off the phone, 30 minute wait but worth it, lady agreed to cap at +9.8% on price before increase until dec 09. mentioned cancelation fee will be £55

Banned

lets hope it goes up by more than 9.8 then, they do have a habit of entrapment

Banned

Slash;2635323

Should use price comparison sites to figure out which company is the … Should use price comparison sites to figure out which company is the cheapest since it all depends on the usage of that household. Atlantic sounds cheap but for me, they are not the cheapest. npower and scottishpower are better options.

Atlantic sounds good because they are cheap. Npower's current prices are 80% more than atlantic and scottish power are 60%.

Atlantic are always the last to put prices up.

I forgot to mention i also get one months premiums back every year as a loyalty bonus making them even better.

I really cant see prices going up 150% in a year so the current caps are no good to me.

Banned

Do the math:-

BG current cap (before todays increase)

24.756/103895 elec - 6.754/2.833 gas.

I'm paying with atlantic (non cap):-

Electricity
    10.26p per unit
    10.2p per day standing charge
    Gas
    2.62p per kWh
    14.1p per day standing charge

The rep said that the cap is only available to customers who take both gas and elec from them. Is this correct?

ilovepink;2634590

no but martin the money man was on GMTV this am and said there is 1 particular pre-payment meter provider thats heck of lot cheaper than others go to gm.tv and have a lookie
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. win a hamper - orbit homes - kent commuter mag88
      2. Royal dishy plates11
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2323
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick33

See more discussions