Car accident

Found 25th Jul 2017
Hi all. Need quick reply please of poss.

Had a little accident other day my car hit another ever so slightly and made a little tiny dent in there back bumper. It's a Fiat panda 65 plate (the damaged car). Been in touch with him as he was driving the car but is not his car as he was out taking car for test drive from His garage. The owner is a lady who I have no contact with. Anyway I have been trying to sort it out with him privately and he's saying it's going to cost 330 pounds. I have mates in garages who do these jobs and they sed its a job no More than 100 pound. But he is refusing to let the car go to another garage. He works for trident garage.

Wat can I do. I'm not paying him
Hes threatening going down the Insurance route which I'm Not bothered about but would rather do it privately.
Any help please

Thanks

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
66 Comments

just go down the insurance route

Original Poster

Will that not make my insurance go too high? He's saying it to me like a threat saying its going to be very costly etc.

Don't forget. If you go down the insurance route (or not), expect a sting when it comes to renewal.

Original Poster

That's wat I was scared about

Original Poster

If I go private then it won't affect my insurance though init?

my husband ran into someone's back (he is a terrible driver but i can't get him to slow down!) and decided to pay for the repair himself outside of insurance as he thought it was going to be a cheap job. turned out to cost just over £200 but the £300 odd quid sounds about right.

a woman ran into the back of my husband and my husband offered to do it privately if she paid him £200, which she did. lol.

Original Poster

If I showed the pics seriously it'd like a daylight robbery.
I have sent the pics etc to my known trusted garages and honestly they sed 100 pounds maximum. It needs filling and spraying that's all.

Original Poster

31542537-v4DOU.jpg

Original Poster

Oh it does let me put pics cool

It's said not sed. You have already given us your options. Depends on your no claims, or ask them for a second quote?

Original Poster

Sorry said then! I have no claims I think about 7 years. They won't let me have a second quote they have stated they will. Only fix in that garage.

You literally only have the choice to pay him what he said or go down the insurance route..
You can't make him take it to a garage that you want, it's their car and not yours so they will take it to a place they want and are happy with, your not really in a great negotiating position.

If i was in his position i'd also take it to a garage i am familiar and happy with and wouldn't care if there was a cheaper one down the road that i had never used before.

If you go down the insurance route you will lose your no claims (if it's not protected) and will have to tell the insurers for the next 5 years about it, so for the next 5 years your insurance will have an added cost because of it.
Edited by: "winifer" 25th Jul 2017

lendu24 m ago

lendu24 m ago

Then you would have to lie to the insurance company when it asks something like "Have you ever had an accident in the last 5 years, regardless of blame/claim"

I would politely ask if he can see if it can be done somewhere else for a cheaper. Going through insurance will also be a pain for him and his future insurance will also be affected as he will be deemed "more likely to be hit" and may have to declare this accident when renewing. For this type of issue, you both benefit by you paying for the repair so make sure he knows it when he is "threatening you".

Original Poster

Thank you all for all your comments been really helpful. I think IL. Just go down insurance route no claims are protected anyway. Thanks again all.

lendu2 m ago

Thank you all for all your comments been really helpful. I think IL. Just …Thank you all for all your comments been really helpful. I think IL. Just go down insurance route no claims are protected anyway. Thanks again all.

If you go with the insurance I hope he doesn't suddenly develop whiplash..

lendu

Thank you all for all your comments been really helpful. I think IL. Just … Thank you all for all your comments been really helpful. I think IL. Just go down insurance route no claims are protected anyway. Thanks again all.

Probably the best thing to do in this instance. Usually people will do the sensible thing and come up with a solution that benefits both parties, in this case it seems that he is not willing to compromise (which is fair enough, but like I said, he will have to declare the accident going forward).

Original Poster

Hmm good call. He seems like a decent guy like but people can change I guess

I'm on the phone so can't see too well but pretty sure he'll just get his mate to heat it up and pop it back out.

Original Poster

Yeah that's littrally what the other garages said, or fill the gap in and respray it.

Original Poster

Unfortunately the guy is obviously charging me a full replacement cost but will probably do as that

Why are paying vat as it's probably his mates doing it in their spare time ?

If he is actually getting replaced the price is a little higher..
But then again why shouldn't he , he'll be without a car for however long and the hassle of getting it sorting all through no fault of his own.

My view-
Joy riding a customers car- now ensuring op doesn't go anywhere else to fix it as then customer/owner will find out and trying to get some money out of it
Don't stand for intimidation or threats.
I would personally stand firm on getting 3/4 quotes and picking best one- if he says no then say fine- go through insurance and make sure you let them know full details

xxnsbxx

My view- Joy riding a customers car- now ensuring op doesn't go anywhere … My view- Joy riding a customers car- now ensuring op doesn't go anywhere else to fix it as then customer/owner will find out and trying to get some money out of it Don't stand for intimidation or threats. I would personally stand firm on getting 3/4 quotes and picking best one- if he says no then say fine- go through insurance and make sure you let them know full details

That's what I would do.

Original Poster

Xxnsbxx and jcodonne
That's the route I'm Planing thank you for your advices.

I know people are saying oh it's up to them wat they do its not their fault etc that's fine but no need to take the P in my opinion. If it can be fixed for cheaper and they happy with it why the issue.

It's OK any way gona go with wat you both just said last.

Thanks again

Original Poster

stefromuk12 m ago

If he is actually getting replaced the price is a little higher..But then …If he is actually getting replaced the price is a little higher..But then again why shouldn't he , he'll be without a car for however long and the hassle of getting it sorting all through no fault of his own.

It's a few hours job not job that's going to take my weeks

Original Poster

2*

why is he negotiating? it is not his car in the first place.

mattsokolinski2 m ago

If it's a customers car then the work has probably been done or he has not told them as most people wouldn't notice it for a while.

Original Poster

So wat your saying is that he's basically asking for the money but.... Ah I get ya. I really don't know wat to belive man.

Original Poster

mattsokolinski13 m ago

That's what is cheesing me off to, he hasn't even mentioned in regards to the owner hardly besides 'she' and that's it.

the car is his customer's - so he has to look after his customers interests

also it's a relatively new car (mid 2015) so less than 2 years old

if it was your acr woudl you accept a cheap repair ?

you made teh mistake - pay the price or go down insurance route

few hundred is a normal good quality repair

EliTom

Original Poster

elitom7 m ago

the car is his customer's - so he has to look after his customers …the car is his customer's - so he has to look after his customers interestsalso it's a relatively new car (mid 2015) so less than 2 years oldif it was your acr woudl you accept a cheap repair ?you made teh mistake - pay the price or go down insurance route few hundred is a normal good quality repair EliTom

First of all it won't be a cheap repair it will be a proper repair just at the right price.

If it was my car though you won't belive me for something that small I actually would let it go. Have done in the past.

Few hundred quid for a job worth that price is fine not wen it's not.

Thanks for pointing out it was my mistake.

lendu

Thank you all for all your comments been really helpful. I think IL. Just … Thank you all for all your comments been really helpful. I think IL. Just go down insurance route no claims are protected anyway. Thanks again all.

No claims protection is a scam, They'll just bump your premiums up for the next 5 years. If you claim on insurance I can guarantee you'll be paying more than £327.54.

Original Poster

shauneco15 m ago

No claims protection is a scam, They'll just bump your premiums up for the …No claims protection is a scam, They'll just bump your premiums up for the next 5 years. If you claim on insurance I can guarantee you'll be paying more than £327.54.

Wat if I changed companies would they still work the same? IL obviously tell them wats happened.?

lendu26 m ago

Wat if I changed companies would they still work the same? IL obviously …Wat if I changed companies would they still work the same? IL obviously tell them wats happened.?

you can not get a competitive quote with anyone else if you have had a claim within the 3 to 5 years. we had to stick to the same insurer until my husband's claim history had been clear for 3 years i think as i could not get any quote from someone else that is not astronomical.

If he goes down the insurance route, then I hope he expects it to go to a cowboy garage and itll end up even worse than it currently is. Insurance will get it done on the cheap and its never the same. Take it from someone who had it back to my insurance garage 4 times. The paint wouldnt bond with the car so whenever a stone hit it (the bonnet), not only was it chipping but flakes of paint was flaking off. It was almost a year before it was fully sorted and I was able to take it to my own garage. My insurance refused to let me pick my own garage. If you havent protected your no claims, then youll lose 2 years. Youll still have to declare it for 5 years when looking for a quote.

Original Poster

I have it protected pal and thanks for that advice. He's making going through Insurance like a living hell. Saying it's going to get really expensive for you etc. Take him up on it. Nice one pal
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions