Expired

Car accident,

Found 22nd Jun
Hi all, quick summary, entering a roundabout the old guy in front, pulled so far left that it made it seem obvious that he was going left, I entered the round about behind him as I thought it was safe to do so, going right on the round about, he then decided to swerve right and hit the front end of my car as I couldn't stop in time, I have dash cam footage of the accident, and now he his trying to claim against me, I want to submit the dash cam footage as it obviously shows how far left he goes and why I enter the round about, but I don't want it to go against me,

Any advice would be amazing.
Community Updates
AskHome & Living
Top comments
MR11238 m ago

Left lane on round about should only be entered when taking nearest exit

What wait. I was taught this 34102709-NGQjz.jpg
I disagree. If the old guy is in the left lane and suddenly decides to pull across into the right, shouldn't he check the right lane is empty first? Unless the old guy is just on the extreme left hand side of the right hand lane, and the OP decided to squeeze into a gap. In which case, OP guilty.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 22nd Jun
Post the footage!
If you were behind him and hit him its your fault . Full stop !
48 Comments
So you'll withold evidence if you think it's going to go his way, you should have allowed him to make his manoeuvre and also given ample room. From what you've described you will be at fault as he entered the roundabout before you. Obviously not what you want to hear.
Sounds more like he cut OP up.
If you were behind him and hit him its your fault . Full stop !
I disagree. If the old guy is in the left lane and suddenly decides to pull across into the right, shouldn't he check the right lane is empty first? Unless the old guy is just on the extreme left hand side of the right hand lane, and the OP decided to squeeze into a gap. In which case, OP guilty.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 22nd Jun
It's hard to call without seeing the footage tbh. You're going to get varying responses on here, half of which will be what you want to hear and the other being not what you want to hear.
Post the footage!
benrobertsno110 m ago

So you'll withold evidence if you think it's going to go his way, you …So you'll withold evidence if you think it's going to go his way, you should have allowed him to make his manoeuvre and also given ample room. From what you've described you will be at fault as he entered the roundabout before you. Obviously not what you want to hear.

Depends entirely on how much he "swerved" and if it is classed as dangerous driving or if it is just a natural driving line, and if there was any indications at all and the size of the roundabout - if large roundabout where you can clearly get 2 lanes and he wasn't in the right hand lane etc etc.. Far too many ifs from what the OP has said.

Does sound as if the OP was too close to him if there was no reaction time at all though. Probably be put down to 50/50 since both sound in the wrong.
terriclarkfan4 m ago

I disagree. If the old guy is in the left lane and suddenly decides to …I disagree. If the old guy is in the left lane and suddenly decides to pull across into the right, shouldn't he check the right lane is empty first? Unless the old guy is just on the extreme left hand side of the right hand lane, and the OP decided to squeeze into a gap. In which case, OP guilty.

If its showing in the OPs dashcam (presumably 140 front facing ) then OP is behind the "accused" ( presumably too fast /too close )therefore OP at fault and probably at risk of getting done for Driving without due care and attention .
I'd like to post the footage but I don't think u can
Are there defined lanes on the roundabout? If not it will look like you were trying to overtake him on the roundabout so it will go in his favour.
If he is claiming against you then you can submit video evidence to your own insurance company
benrobertsno115 m ago

So you'll withold evidence if you think it's going to go his way, you …So you'll withold evidence if you think it's going to go his way, you should have allowed him to make his manoeuvre and also given ample room. From what you've described you will be at fault as he entered the roundabout before you. Obviously not what you want to hear.

Obviously, your not going to provide evidence to convict yourself!
rogparki8 m ago

If its showing in the OPs dashcam (presumably 140 front facing ) then OP …If its showing in the OPs dashcam (presumably 140 front facing ) then OP is behind the "accused" ( presumably too fast /too close )therefore OP at fault and probably at risk of getting done for Driving without due care and attention .

Or OP is merely in the old guy's blind spot, and the old guy should have looked over his shoulder and checked before changing lanes. (Assuming this scenario is one of clearly marked lanes).

Otherwise you're saying cars can't be alongside each other in adjacent lanes on a multi-lane roundabout, which doesn't make sense.
terriclarkfan9 m ago

Or OP is merely in the old guy's blind spot, and the old guy should have …Or OP is merely in the old guy's blind spot, and the old guy should have looked over his shoulder and checked before changing lanes. (Assuming this scenario is one of clearly marked lanes).Otherwise you're saying cars can't be alongside each other in adjacent lanes on a multi-lane roundabout, which doesn't make sense.

sadly if you hit someone in the behind from an insurance standpoint you are at fault, if the contact is not rear ended then its different but front end to rear end and thats it.

A friend was recently asked to be a witness in a court case by their insurance company, lorry pulled out into the back of their car, witnesses said the lorry driver simply ran into the back of their car. Lorry driver wanted to protect his job but in court it was ruled as the standard run into the back of someone your fault.
it is very difficult to know without seeing a footage and knowing exact circumstances. My better half had a similar incident on a roundabout 3 years ago where someone at the last minute decide to change the lane and as a result there was a minor collision. She was behind and the other driver was in the front. We let the insurance companies deal with it, and both initially refused to accept liability - law firms were appointed by both insurers and at one point we got a letter saying court attendance may be required. Eventually things never went to court and our lawyers suggested settling and both parties accepted joint responsibility.
Streetview of the location would help? is it two lanes around the rbout?
cdm2232 m ago

Are there defined lanes on the roundabout? If not it will look like you …Are there defined lanes on the roundabout? If not it will look like you were trying to overtake him on the roundabout so it will go in his favour.

Thats what i was thinking, if it was lane marked up you would have to indicate and give way to change a lane. If no markings then the person has the whole of the roundabout to manoeuvre as he hasnt changed lanes.
Arguing for fun, but in the OP's scenario I'd imagine the impact is the OP's near side corner into old guy's offside rear door, rather than a clear cut "into the back of".
Firstly, was it a single lane? And did he indicate to the left?
You should of left reasonable space between your car and his car.
If you hit someone from rear then it’s very difficult to deny liability....
terriclarkfan45 m ago

I disagree. If the old guy is in the left lane and suddenly decides to …I disagree. If the old guy is in the left lane and suddenly decides to pull across into the right, shouldn't he check the right lane is empty first? Unless the old guy is just on the extreme left hand side of the right hand lane, and the OP decided to squeeze into a gap. In which case, OP guilty.

Yeah but it depends. Sometimes there’s a single lane on small roundabouts
If there are predefined lanes within the Roundabout with White Markings to determine the separate Lanes, and you can prove within your Video evidence that He suddenly Jumped from His lane into to yours then you may have a case.

If none of the above then its your Fault.
If the roundabout has 2 defined lanes, then I’d argue the case. Otherwise it’s closer to knock for knock.
You could always let the guy know you have footage and you will submit it as evidence. See how he reacts.
On a single lane/mini roundabout I would say the third party would be in favour.

If you were in a right hand lane and he was in the left on a two lane roundabout there could be some dispute, but it sounds as though you could still see the third party in view and you were too close. If you collided front to back it should be no dispute either.

As you were judging his lane discipline I gather there was no indication, so it would be on you to be more wary of that car also.
Only way to get a definitive answer is if you post the footage. Left lane on round about should only be entered when taking nearest exit but don’t know if that’s enough to fault the other driver. we don’t know how many lanes there were etc so everyone will take a guess. Better to post footage so you can get a better idea
Edited by: "MR1123" 22nd Jun
Yes, I think it depends on whether there were marked lanes. If there were no lanes and the OP was trying to sneak through a gap, he's clearly at fault.
I think the insurance will call it 50/50, both parties at fault. First driver should have been observant about his surroundings. Second driver should have been patient.
MR11238 m ago

Left lane on round about should only be entered when taking nearest exit

What wait. I was taught this 34102709-NGQjz.jpg
LilHammerette23 m ago

What wait. I was taught this [Image]

It’s two lanes so right lane is for last exit and left is for 1st and 2nd so makes sense. It doesn’t contradict with what I said so I don’t know why people are liking you comment?If you are taking last exit you should be on right lane and you have to move to left lane right after passing the exit before it. If it’s a larger round about with more lanes and5 exits then after passing 3rd exit move a lane to the left then another lane after 4th etc. If we are taking about the same round about then it’s better to understand.
Edited by: "MR1123" 22nd Jun
terriclarkfan1 h, 30 m ago

Or OP is merely in the old guy's blind spot, and the old guy should have …Or OP is merely in the old guy's blind spot, and the old guy should have looked over his shoulder and checked before changing lanes. (Assuming this scenario is one of clearly marked lanes).Otherwise you're saying cars can't be alongside each other in adjacent lanes on a multi-lane roundabout, which doesn't make sense.

A forward facing dashcam won't see what's alongside you so it won't show a car to the side of you as you suggest , also OP stated "I entered the roundabout behind him " . The dashcam has roughly the same view as the driver (the OP) - so if the incident is recorded on the dashcam the OP should also have seen it coming and slowed down - Case closed !
Edited by: "rogparki" 22nd Jun
MR112337 m ago

It’s two lanes so right lane is for last exit and left is for 1st and 2nd s …It’s two lanes so right lane is for last exit and left is for 1st and 2nd so makes sense. It doesn’t contradict with what I said so I don’t know why people are liking you comment?If you are taking last exit you should be on right lane and you have to move to left lane right after passing the exit before it. If it’s a larger round about with more lanes and5 exits then after passing 3rd exit move a lane to the left then another lane after 4th etc. If we are taking about the same round about then it’s better to understand.

Because in no part of the Highway Code does it say left lane should only be going off at the first junction. That’s why there are getting so many likes as what you said is simply wrong. Might be the way you worded your comment and they way we are reading it
eslick54 m ago

Because in no part of the Highway Code does it say left lane should only …Because in no part of the Highway Code does it say left lane should only be going off at the first junction. That’s why there are getting so many likes as what you said is simply wrong. Might be the way you worded your comment and they way we are reading it

Damn-it - when did that change?
I was sure that you're meant to be on the inside lane of the roundabout until you turn off, also seems more logical to me.

*Edit: p.s O.P that guy cut across the path of your vehicle/lane so it was his fault for not checking his mirrors.
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 22nd Jun
Bigfootpete4 m ago

Damn-it - when did that change? I was sure that you're meant to be on the …Damn-it - when did that change? I was sure that you're meant to be on the inside lane of the roundabout until you turn off, also seems more logical to me.*Edit: p.s O.P that guy cut across the path of your vehicle/lane so it was his fault for not checking his mirrors.

It didn't change its always been up to 12 o clock left lane after 12 right lane.
benrobertsno16 m ago

It didn't change its always been up to 12 o clock left lane after 12 right …It didn't change its always been up to 12 o clock left lane after 12 right lane.

Probably because they give conflicting rules in NZ where I learnt to drive

nzta.govt.nz/res…ts/

One picture shows the inside lane and outside lane being used...
eslick1 h, 29 m ago

Because in no part of the Highway Code does it say left lane should only …Because in no part of the Highway Code does it say left lane should only be going off at the first junction. That’s why there are getting so many likes as what you said is simply wrong. Might be the way you worded your comment and they way we are reading it

If left lane isn’t for first junction then your saying right is
eslick1 h, 52 m ago

What Highway Code are you reading
Dannyrobbo1 h, 12 m ago

What Highway Code are you reading

The same you will be, if you are another one who thinks the left hand is LEFT ONLY then god help us. Poster a few above me even showed you.
Edited by: "eslick" 22nd Jun
MR11231 h, 27 m ago

If left lane isn’t for first junction then your saying right is

It’s not left only like you said.
eslick21 h, 32 m ago

The same you will be, if you are another one who thinks the left hand is …The same you will be, if you are another one who thinks the left hand is LEFT ONLY then god help us. Poster a few above me even showed you.

The post said 1st and 2nd in what you quoted what are you talking about

edited
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 23rd Jun
eslick32 m ago

It’s not left only like you said.

Are you saying you can use right for first junction
LilHammerette5 h, 40 m ago

What wait. I was taught this [Image]

Dannyrobbo1 h, 37 m ago

The post said 1st and 2nd in what you quoted what are you talking about

MR11231 h, 16 m ago

Are you saying you can use right for first junction

@DannyRobbins My reply was to defend the posters original comment not thei reply I replied too.The poster was complaining about the one with all the likes where the original poster said left lane should only be entered when taking the nearest exit. They have since edited other posts. That’s why so many people liked Lilhammers post. Edit may be a wonderful thing but the like post is still there. As I said originally it’s is the way the op wrote it as I am sure reading their come backs again they obviously think they know what they are talking about but their wording was just wrong as per all of the likes.

@MR1123 you seem to be being pedantic, read your original unedited post and the liked post and see why people did not understand you. As you will see from my original reply I was trying to defend you but you keep coming back for more
Edited by: "eslick" 22nd Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions