Expired

Car accident details

Found 15th JunEdited by:"mutley1"
I was involved in a minor car accident but I did not take any pictures or their details except their first name and their mobile number as I thought I could contact them later to get their details before reporting the incident to my insurer.

I should have taken down their registration number and asked for their full name to pass on to my insurer. Have I been silly and will I get into trouble if they don't let me have their details?
Community Updates
AskHome & Living
Top comments
so you had an accident but didn't take the reg details?

the bait on this one is sky high, I'm out
She says, whilst never being able to make a decision without asking HUKD first.

It's turning into your own personal blog here.
Maybe you should give up driving before you kill somebody.
mutley121 m ago

i am a careful driver but i am not a good driver i do admit. we all have …i am a careful driver but i am not a good driver i do admit. we all have accidents, and some people drive like maniacs on the road so just because i bumped into someone, i am not a dangerous driver.

You are clearly dangerous considering you could have killed a motorcyclist through your negligence.
18 Comments
Depends how honest they are, but very likely yes. I would say don't let on that you don't have his reg number and text him for the rest of his details first. Your fault or his? You will need to have the reg number if you are going to claim, but try and get the other info before letting that cat out of the bag.
Registration is the minimum you need as without, it will be difficult for anything else to progress. Unless they had yours and informed their insurance company.
so you had an accident but didn't take the reg details?

the bait on this one is sky high, I'm out
Ar460rn24 m ago

Depends how honest they are, but very likely yes. I would say don't let on …Depends how honest they are, but very likely yes. I would say don't let on that you don't have his reg number and text him for the rest of his details first. Your fault or his? You will need to have the reg number if you are going to claim, but try and get the other info before letting that cat out of the bag.

it was probably my fault as i was turning right in a busy road and he was on a motor bike and i bumped into him and he fell off but he got back up again and the bike looked fine except the chain had dislodged.

i have asked him to confirm details, including his registration number, doh, dumb me

i have to report the incident to my insurer but i expect that i would be at fault as i was turning so he had the right of way.
mutley113 m ago

it was probably my fault as i was turning right in a busy road and he was …it was probably my fault as i was turning right in a busy road and he was on a motor bike and i bumped into him and he fell off but he got back up again and the bike looked fine except the chain had dislodged.i have asked him to confirm details, including his registration number, doh, dumb me i have to report the incident to my insurer but i expect that i would be at fault as i was turning so he had the right of way.

Two months down the line he will be claiming for whiplash
summerof762 m ago

Two months down the line he will be claiming for whiplash

wouldn't surprise me with the number of claims for false injuries that don't exist. i assume that my insurer will have to deal with this if he does claim.
Update - phew. The guy called and gave me all his details. I feel like a prat for not taking down details but this is the first time i have ever had an accident so i thought i could get the details later until i got home and had time to realise how stupid i was!

Things could have turned out a lot worse.

Now how to tell my husband that I have crashed his car without him screaming
sammy1253 m ago

i am a careful driver but i am not a good driver i do admit. we all have accidents, and some people drive like maniacs on the road so just because i bumped into someone, i am not a dangerous driver.
Could have been worse, your lover could have been in the car.
ScubaDudes6 m ago

Could have been worse, your lover could have been in the car.

lol. i don't have a lover but now that you mention it, it would have been very awkward to explain that one to my husband. screaming won't be his reaction i am sure of that
mutley121 m ago

i am a careful driver but i am not a good driver i do admit. we all have …i am a careful driver but i am not a good driver i do admit. we all have accidents, and some people drive like maniacs on the road so just because i bumped into someone, i am not a dangerous driver.

You are clearly dangerous considering you could have killed a motorcyclist through your negligence.
sammy1253 m ago

You are clearly dangerous considering you could have killed a motorcyclist …You are clearly dangerous considering you could have killed a motorcyclist through your negligence.

so you keep saying. there is no point in discussing this with you any further as you sound like a broken record.
She says, whilst never being able to make a decision without asking HUKD first.

It's turning into your own personal blog here.
mutley112 h, 2 m ago

No, You are a careless driver. You were most probably on your phone posting on hotdeals ask page asking about what toilet paper should i buy.
webtrawler3 h, 44 m ago

No, You are a careless driver. You were most probably on your phone …No, You are a careless driver. You were most probably on your phone posting on hotdeals ask page asking about what toilet paper should i buy.

no, i was not using my mobile phone.
sammy1254 h, 46 m ago

She says, whilst never being able to make a decision without asking HUKD …She says, whilst never being able to make a decision without asking HUKD first.It's turning into your own personal blog here.

i can't help being indecisive and i don't see any harm in asking other people's opinions. people generally are quite happy to help and give their opinions, ideas, suggestion and views so if you don't want to answer my questions then just don't read my threads, there is no need to go all judgemental and critical on me.

the whole point of this section is for people to ask questions and it is not limited to questions on shopping. if people want to be helpful and answer questions then they can do so, no one is forced to read or to answer questions on ask.

at least you are not accusing me of making this story up like some members on here to simply to get replies!
Don't worry about it we all make mistakes, just keep calm and see what happens
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants