Car accident issue

Found 16th Jul
Last night I was driving home along a straight road, when from a junction a car came speeding out, at the speed they had no intention of stopping or looking, I had to swerve across the road to try and avoid and ended up hitting the grass on other side and they still hit my car with the back end of theirs that’s how far they swerved out, they didn’t stop and just drive off. I managed to get their ref number and I reported it to 101 and I have a call back from a police officer on Wednesday..

Because I never been in this situation I’m just unsure what to do now, my car has damage to the front left where they hit me but it seems ok to drive, I have not spoke with insurance yet as I feel I should wait until after I speak with police or should I call them straight away? Also should I take my car to garage or speak with insurance first?

Thanks for any advice
Community Updates
AskHome & LivingCar
21 Comments
If you are planning to repair it through insurance then contact them asap.

The police are useless and can wait
How damaged is your car?
Wadda16th Jul

How damaged is your car?

34368091-Oh0ne.jpg
It’s not much from what I can tell but it is not sturdy around that area
deleted1132166
If the police don't find him don't inform insurance. It's a very minor scrape.
Your insurance will go up for several years if you inform them of the accident.
Even when a no fault accident occurs your insurance can go up.
Hard to see from your picture but a lot of the "damage" looks like it might just polish out - some of it looks like it might be paint from the other car rather than a scratch on yours. Get some rubbing compound from Halfords and have a go rubbing the damaged area - likely to improve it a lot.

At this stage I'd not inform the insurers - see what the police say. You're at risk of not being able to claim off the other car's insurer (were they insured, was the car stolen??) and as adam... say's informing your insurer will increase your future premium for several years.
Here is an article, which may help. I would say that this is now recorded as a police matter, so there are public records of the incident. This means you will need to inform your insurer

which.co.uk/con…nce
deleted113216616th Jul

If the police don't find him don't inform insurance. It's a very minor …If the police don't find him don't inform insurance. It's a very minor scrape.Your insurance will go up for several years if you inform them of the accident. Even when a no fault accident occurs your insurance can go up.

Then get the address from the reg and place 4 long nails on the outer edge of their tyres.
mutley126 m ago

Here is an article, which may help. I would say that this is now recorded …Here is an article, which may help. I would say that this is now recorded as a police matter, so there are public records of the incident. This means you will need to inform your insurerhttps://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/ive-been-in-a-car-accident-do-i-have-to-claim-on-my-insurance

He does not need to inform the insurers if the damage is "negligible" .

OP car seems to be an older model and the damage is not severe. Van1973 is correct that your premium will go up by contacting them.
You're could be screwed as you will probably have a crime number off the police as this has been logged and this means you might need to contact your insurance company as not doing so might invalidate your insurance. Not to spook you but it's best to make sure.

You can claim off untraced drivers using this link. Also remember that your insurance company will not activitely chase a claim under a certain price, i.e. one phone call and they give up. I made this mistake and ended up paying £50 excess for a company to just check my car even though it needed zero work.

mib.org.uk/mak…ss/
gcmarcal15 m ago

He does not need to inform the insurers if the damage is "negligible" .OP …He does not need to inform the insurers if the damage is "negligible" .OP car seems to be an older model and the damage is not severe. Van1973 is correct that your premium will go up by contacting them.

but the article i found states that if you don't report an accident, even if you do not claim, to your insurer, it may invalidate your policy and the insurer may refuse to insure you in future. it will not take the insurer long to find out about the accident if it is on police records. if it was me, i would err on the side of caution and report the accident as it is public record. if the OP did not file a police report then i would have kept quiet as there is no claim, but the police being aware of the incident changes things.
It'd cost about £200 to fix that (If it needs spraying). Your excess is probably more than that so would hold off claiming off insurance.

After having a non fault accident and claiming my excess back off the third party I kept my no claims and got my excess back. My insurance quotes were cheaper declaring the accident!.

My insurance company ( Hastings ) don't make you lose any no claims or pay any excess if you're hit by an uninsured driver. However I would suspect premiums would rise in those cases.

You could put the registration number into askmid to see if it's showing as insured.

Also check if it's got an MOT and tax here.

Might explain why they drove off? Or perhaps they were under the influence? They may cooperate with the police.

You could still declare the incident to your insurer but state that you don't want to make a claim at this point. You're just making them aware. Then at renewal time you wouldn't have to declare it when getting new quotes etc..
Edited by: ".MUFC." 16th Jul
mutley126 m ago

but the article i found states that if you don't report an accident, even …but the article i found states that if you don't report an accident, even if you do not claim, to your insurer, it may invalidate your policy and the insurer may refuse to insure you in future. it will not take the insurer long to find out about the accident if it is on police records. if it was me, i would err on the side of caution and report the accident as it is public record. if the OP did not file a police report then i would have kept quiet as there is no claim, but the police being aware of the incident changes things.

Yep, but insurance companies are a business and they will use any excuse to make money out of you,
The insurance company will not contact the police unless they have a reason to! ( claim),

Make the insurance company aware that you had an accident = Big gamble.

They don't follow a guidance, each company has their own policies on that. I would not risk it.
Tcut it out. Don't waste time with insurance. No dash cam it's not worth it
.MUFC.51 m ago

It'd cost about £200 to fix that (If it needs spraying). Your excess is …It'd cost about £200 to fix that (If it needs spraying). Your excess is probably more than that so would hold off claiming off insurance.After having a non fault accident and claiming my excess back off the third party I kept my no claims and got my excess back. My insurance quotes were cheaper declaring the accident!. My insurance company ( Hastings ) don't make you lose any no claims or pay any excess if you're hit by an uninsured driver. However I would suspect premiums would rise in those cases.You could put the registration number into askmid to see if it's showing as insured.Also check if it's got an MOT and tax here.Might explain why they drove off? Or perhaps they were under the influence? They may cooperate with the police.You could still declare the incident to your insurer but state that you don't want to make a claim at this point. You're just making them aware. Then at renewal time you wouldn't have to declare it when getting new quotes etc..

This is important as if you renew with an open claim it is automatically classed as a fault claim. Just another knife in the back from the insurance companies.
.MUFC.1 h, 32 m ago

It'd cost about £200 to fix that (If it needs spraying). Your excess is …It'd cost about £200 to fix that (If it needs spraying). Your excess is probably more than that so would hold off claiming off insurance.After having a non fault accident and claiming my excess back off the third party I kept my no claims and got my excess back. My insurance quotes were cheaper declaring the accident!. My insurance company ( Hastings ) don't make you lose any no claims or pay any excess if you're hit by an uninsured driver. However I would suspect premiums would rise in those cases.You could put the registration number into askmid to see if it's showing as insured.Also check if it's got an MOT and tax here.Might explain why they drove off? Or perhaps they were under the influence? They may cooperate with the police.You could still declare the incident to your insurer but state that you don't want to make a claim at this point. You're just making them aware. Then at renewal time you wouldn't have to declare it when getting new quotes etc..

According to those sites its both taxed and insured. No MOT data.

Appreciate peoples comments. The whole insurance things is annoying as I want to be honest but I shouldn't have to pay more in the end as none of this is my fault. The only proof I have is the fact they drove away. I'm not familiar with the area but I suppose the police may find CCTV nearby. I'm defo getting a dash cam, I have been considering for a long time I wish I had.

Regardless of outcome I'm thankful to have been able to avoid a full on collinsion with my two kids in the car. More than getting anything from insurance I just hope the police take action against them.
SmokinAce715 m ago

...I'm not familiar with the area but I suppose the police may find CCTV …...I'm not familiar with the area but I suppose the police may find CCTV nearby...

Be realistic: it's unlikely police will do anything other than spit a crime number at you, certainly highly unlikely to faff around attempting to source CCTV unless the offending reg number suggests a link to some other arguably more worthy cause.
Another vote for just leaving it, take it as a lesson, get a dash cam and hope something like this does not happen again. The police can be more of a hindrance than a help with things like this, they drag you into the station to make statements, and then tell you there is no more they can do, see what they say but as said above, they will probably just give you a reference number. Dont worry about the insurance company, just forget about it. Not that much damage anyway.

And with regards to the car not being sturdy around the area, it's probably just a few clips which have gone, anyone with basic knowhow can get under there and check it out and tie up what needs tying, those marks should come out with a good polish.
Edited by: "aircanman" 16th Jul
aircanman3 h, 24 m ago

Another vote for just leaving it, take it as a lesson, get a dash cam and …Another vote for just leaving it, take it as a lesson, get a dash cam and hope something like this does not happen again. The police can be more of a hindrance than a help with things like this, they drag you into the station to make statements, and then tell you there is no more they can do, see what they say but as said above, they will probably just give you a reference number. Dont worry about the insurance company, just forget about it. Not that much damage anyway.And with regards to the car not being sturdy around the area, it's probably just a few clips which have gone, anyone with basic knowhow can get under there and check it out and tie up what needs tying, those marks should come out with a good polish.

Not sure how a dashcam would help
snoopy1817 m ago

Not sure how a dashcam would help

A dashcam would have caught the number plate and helped verify fault.
some oik ran in to the back of my car 4 years ago - her insurance paid £1500 to repair the rear bumper - and I get to pay an additional £40 per year for a non fault claim.

And did she even once apologise, no she did not.
Edited by: "Asura" 16th Jul
Asura3 h, 3 m ago

some oik ran in to the back of my car 4 years ago - her insurance paid …some oik ran in to the back of my car 4 years ago - her insurance paid £1500 to repair the rear bumper - and I get to pay an additional £40 per year for a non fault claim.And did she even once apologise, no she did not.

Sounds like a legitimate case for the consequential / uninsured loss ambulance chasers, where the defendant will issue a counter-claim for being called an "oik" on a public forum.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions