Found 1st Dec 2009
Hello this is pretty long winded but i dont want to miss anything out....here goes.

30 days ago the neighbours friend hit my car, got out looked at the damage and drove off. Luckily my mam witnessed this (aswell as 1 other neighbour), so we got her number from the neighbour and told her to get back here.

She returned.....her excuse, she paniced. She was clearly upset and it was the first time this has happened to me so i was feeling every emotion anger, sympathy etc, she pleaded not to go through insurance and would pay for damages (£150 panel damage). Stupidly i took her word for this.......(its important to note now i didnt inform the police or my insurance as i took her word)

A week passed.......no monies, I got back in touch and she popped around claiming she has bank charges and could i please wait till pay day (fair excuse) so i believed this too. Pay day for her was 30/11/09....no monies. So i rang her today 1/12/09 and she popped back around, this time she said she doesnt have much money as its comming up to christmas and has 300 going out so only has £1 to her name. BUT!!! BUTTT!!!! she had paid to get some damage fixed for her car with her credit card during these 30 days, when i found this i was a fair bit peeved off. Stating why should of paid for my car instead of hers she got angry, I then said I WANT YOUR INSURANCE DETAILS, this got her really mad ITS TOO LATE ANYWAY YOUR 30 DAYS OVER AND YOU HAVENT TOLD THE POLICE!

Straight away i lied and said I HAVE TOLD THE POLICE, this was a weird turning point because she almost turned white. She then stormed into her friends house shouting ill get your money tomorrow.

Thanks for reading that if i could give you a medal i would. Anyway this is my predicament. Im pretty positive she wont come up with the cash tomorrow and if she doesnt what do i do? Ive told a few people this story and they have questioned if she has insurance on the car and told me to go through my insurance company to see if she does have it on her car. Apart from that really im a bit stumped.......please any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
DP

55 Comments

You're the fool for believing her - Should have got her insurance details straight away.

Banned

ok was anyone injured ?

Hold your ground at the moment she believes the police are involved so she may pay.

Wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Next time don't be so soft hearted! xx

are you on speaking terms with your neighbour which is her friend??if so have a quiet word or follow her home put the heat on a little just to show that your not going anywhere!

JUST TELL THE POLICE NOW.. YOU HAVE YER MAM (oops, capslock- apologies) and ur neighbour as witnesses- you've been kind enough already and it seems like she's taking you for a ride. i didn't even know there was a 30day rule..

Your contract with your insurance company states that you must inform them of any accident or damage, whether or not you are claiming.

In hindsight you should have informed them and deferred the claim. You are probably too late to do anything legal now.

Possibly she`s not insured..... could always check though if you have her reg. :whistling:askmid.com/own…le/

Original Poster

t0mm;7073913

You're the fool for believing her - Should have got her insurance details … You're the fool for believing her - Should have got her insurance details straight away.

Yeah your right but i cant do anything about that now.

Banned

samwants2save;7073959

JUST TELL THE POLICE NOW.. YOU HAVE YER MAM (oops, capslock- apologies) … JUST TELL THE POLICE NOW.. YOU HAVE YER MAM (oops, capslock- apologies) and ur neighbour as witnesses- you've been kind enough already and it seems like she's taking you for a ride. i didn't even know there was a 30day rule..

there is no such thing as a thirty day rule..

plus its a non reportable accident so the onus is on each driver to exchange details.. if there had been damage to other property or persons you would have to report it at a police station within 24hrs or as soon as practicable.

some real crap advice here, get her details and index of car and speak to your insurance company like you should have done in the first place

Original Poster

samwants2save;7073959

JUST TELL THE POLICE NOW.. YOU HAVE YER MAM (oops, capslock- apologies) … JUST TELL THE POLICE NOW.. YOU HAVE YER MAM (oops, capslock- apologies) and ur neighbour as witnesses- you've been kind enough already and it seems like she's taking you for a ride. i didn't even know there was a 30day rule..

Yeh i was wondering about the 30 day thing, i know obviously is best to inform them asap but i stupidly took her word

Phone your insurance company NOW on their claims line - give them her reg. no. and they will tell you there and then if she has insurance and who it is with. i had this at the beginning of this year - old boy hit my car walked off saying he hadnt - had a witness - insurance company sorted it all out for me. Phone them now dont wait shes fobbing you off babe - not fair also she got her car repaired you are priority! dont wait do it now insurance company will do it all for you over the phone and it doesnt take very long anymore like it used to! let me know how you get on!

Original Poster

cuzzy;7073986

Possibly she`s not insured..... could always check though if you have her … Possibly she`s not insured..... could always check though if you have her reg. :whistling:http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

Cheers for that i was reading up on that but read only 80% of cars arnt on it so its best to ask the police or your insurer to check as they use a more advanced one

Original Poster

ARNOLD115;7073937

are you on speaking terms with your neighbour which is her friend??if so … are you on speaking terms with your neighbour which is her friend??if so have a quiet word or follow her home put the heat on a little just to show that your not going anywhere!

Since this has happened not really on speaking terms anymore no lol

Banned

Daft Punk;7074035

Cheers for that i was reading up on that but read only 80% of cars arnt … Cheers for that i was reading up on that but read only 80% of cars arnt on it so its best to ask the police or your insurer to check as they use a more advanced one

we wont give you that information .. data protection act

dog_cop;7074047

we wont give you that information .. data protection act

but you insurance company will - they did for me starightaway as soon as you give them reg. no. of other car

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;7073936

Hold your ground at the moment she believes the police are involved so … Hold your ground at the moment she believes the police are involved so she may pay. Wait and see what tomorrow brings.Next time don't be so soft hearted! xx

Cheers, i know its hard enough to put your foot down to girls when they are your girlfriend and crying but it was torture when it was a complete stranger instead.

Original Poster

juliesbargains;7074087

but you insurance company will - they did for me starightaway as soon as … but you insurance company will - they did for me starightaway as soon as you give them reg. no. of other car

Champion cheers!

You got her address?

Send her a goats head

Original Poster

Sorry if i havent replied to you im getting so many comments at once. I have read all your comments tho and thank you all kindly for taking the time to read my thing. Ive added rep to you all! Cheers again

Daft Punk;7074089

Cheers, i know its hard enough to put your foot down to girls when they … Cheers, i know its hard enough to put your foot down to girls when they are your girlfriend and crying but it was torture when it was a complete stranger instead.

I must remember that for future reference lol :thumbsup:

Banned

juliesbargains;7074087

but you insurance company will - they did for me starightaway as soon as … but you insurance company will - they did for me starightaway as soon as you give them reg. no. of other car

as may be but the Old Bill wont :thumbsup:

Original Poster

dog_cop;7074119

as may be but the Old Bill wont :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help DC ...just wondering if i told the Old Bill now would anything actually happen apart from them telling me i should of told them 30 days back?

Banned

Daft Punk;7074149

Thanks for your help DC ...just wondering if i told the Old Bill now … Thanks for your help DC ...just wondering if i told the Old Bill now would anything actually happen apart from them telling me i should of told them 30 days back?

what do you hope to achieve by ringing the Old Bill ?

ring your insurance company in the morning and start the process as she wont pay up .. that's what we pay for insurance for and high premiums

Original Poster

dog_cop;7074194

what do you hope to achieve by ringing the Old Bill ? ring your … what do you hope to achieve by ringing the Old Bill ? ring your insurance company in the morning and start the process as she wont pay up .. that's what we pay for insurance for and high premiums

Thanks again its nice to know you can get great advice off here still!

ALL Road traffic accidents should be reported to the police, however minor. This is something I have been told twice when my car was hit, and I called the police. However if one car was stationery, I dont think this applies, saying that, for the other person to drive away is a serious offence.

Stand your ground, if the money doesnt come up tomorrow, tell her you are ringing the insurance company, and do it in front of her. See how quick she gets the money then.

Banned

aircanman;7074237

ALL Road traffic accidents should be reported to the police, however … ALL Road traffic accidents should be reported to the police, however minor. This is something I have been told twice when my car was hit, and I called the police. However if one car was stationery, I dont think this applies, saying that, for the other person to drive away is a serious offence. Stand your ground, if the money doesnt come up tomorrow, tell her you are ringing the insurance company, and do it in front of her. See how quick she gets the money then.

No they are Not ...

Original Poster

The main thing i was worried about was this 30 day thing she had said, i was worried i had backed myself into a corner but theres still hope!

take a hammer to her panels.

Banned

Daft Punk;7074277

The main thing i was worried about was this 30 day thing she had said, i … The main thing i was worried about was this 30 day thing she had said, i was worried i had backed myself into a corner but theres still hope!

make sure you have all the relevant information and call your insurer.. you don't really need to speak to the other party again , I would say she is a bully and trying to bully you into not doing anything about the claim or trying to evade liability for damaging your car.. tough it out :thumbsup:

shauneco;7074104

You got her address?Send her a goats head

God man, i nearly pee'd meself! That would seriously make me drop a turd though if it happened!

Did you join this when last posted? ]http//ww…ort
You may have this with your current ins.

dog_cop;7074251

No they are Not ...

Are you saying RTA's do not have to be reported? I dont think this is true in my opinion.

To be honest with you, reporting it when someone hit me was a complete burden on me, and I was the innocent one. Having the police phone you all the time for a statement etc, wanting you to produce. Even when the other driver wasnt caught.

Banned

aircanman;7074365

Are you saying RTA's do not have to be reported? I dont think this is … Are you saying RTA's do not have to be reported? I dont think this is true in my opinion. To be honest with you, reporting it when someone hit me was a complete burden on me, and I was the innocent one. Having the police phone you all the time for a statement etc, wanting you to produce. Even when the other driver wasnt caught.

non injury as stated before.. the onus on drivers to exchange details

injury accidents as stated, yes must be reported

dog_cop;7074389

non injury as stated before.. the onus on drivers to exchange … non injury as stated before.. the onus on drivers to exchange detailsinjury accidents as stated, yes must be reported

Well that is not what two traffic officers told me!

Or maybe it was the case when the other driver drove off?

There were no injuries, just a dent on my bumper.

Banned

aircanman;7074410

Well that is not what two traffic officers told me! Or maybe it was the … Well that is not what two traffic officers told me! Or maybe it was the case when the other driver drove off? There were no injuries, just a dent on my bumper.

that might be the clue :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Flynn Jack;7074364

Did you join this when last posted? … Did you join this when last posted? ]http://www.yourkey.info/frontend/wordpress/accident-supportYou may have this with your current ins.

Im not entirely sure what this is but ill check it out thank you!

weve not heard of this 30 day thing either. I would ring your insurance company first thing tomorrow and start the ball rolling. Good luck and fingers crossed it gets sorted for you

Original Poster

speedy2;7074483

weve not heard of this 30 day thing either. I would ring your insurance … weve not heard of this 30 day thing either. I would ring your insurance company first thing tomorrow and start the ball rolling. Good luck and fingers crossed it gets sorted for you

Ill be getting in touch asap. Thank you for your kind words ! +REP

As others have said, call your insurance company, also have a look and ask on pepipoo.com/

Original Poster

Outrunner;7074574

As others have said, call your insurance company, also have a look and … As others have said, call your insurance company, also have a look and ask on http://www.pepipoo.com/

Cheers for that website really useful!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What is gearbest like on warranty?79
    2. changing a dimmer swith to normal light switch34
    3. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21
    4. Parkopedia, can the info be trusted22

See more discussions