Groups

Car advice

Ok im looking to hear what type of cars people recommend.

I have just started properly looking for my 1st car.

Only requirements i really have at this time is that its diesel.

So far i have considered the ford fiesta, an astra and a yaris but what others would you recommend.

Secondly I will be buying from new so if anyone has ideas of waht sorts of prices i should be looking at when purchasing a car it would be a great help espec on the astra and yaris i.e what price should i try bargin for.

18 Comments

New Ford Fiesta or New Ford KA,

Astra's pant's

A good way of getting alot of extras for nowt is to take a stock car! you probably wont get a choice of colour tho

why diesel? Petrol is the way to go!

dean3988;3351265

why diesel? Petrol is the way to go!

Yes for small cars petrol.

Petrol yaris won't let you down and will be cheaper to run than a diesel astra.
    Why buy new? ]only 655 miles £5000

Original Poster

Diesel because i have to travel alot of mile so i thought it was better in the long run?

foxy how do you get stock cars?

allstar2;3351348

Diesel because i have to travel alot of mile so i thought it was better … Diesel because i have to travel alot of mile so i thought it was better in the long run?foxy how do you get stock cars?

Urrr go into the dealer and say what have you got in stock??? lol

people who are buying new can be quite fussy yet they always have the show room model (and yousually a pile round the back!), I got my touran like that loads of extras but only paied the price for the trim level bartering is the way to go dont be a push over they are desprate to sell remember!!

Original Poster

thnaks foxy will have to take a trip down this week start the process

got my lass a nicely spec'd brand new corsa for £7K, plus £1K allowance (under eco-scheme) for her ratty, tatty old motor which wsa worth about a couple of bob

result - gleaming little vauxhall - very nice indeed

no need for diesels - a small car will get you 55mpg on a run if you're careful

Rightn now is great time to buy new cars as they simply arent shifting. Vauxhall will give 4yrs 0% apr you can barter on cars and knock thousands off. Apparantly the manufacturer Dodge are doing a buy one get one free deal on a 20k motor

what about a golf tdi?

If your doing lots of miles and plan on keeping the car for a while take a look at a year old Kia Ceed. You can pick up a 57 plate 1.6 CRDi for less than £8.5k and have six years warranty (twice as long as most new cars). So say in 6 years time its only worth £1k so it will have only lost around £100 a month with no major mechanical worries.

Fiesta is an ideal first car. I've done 52,000 miles in mine without any problems and it still drives like the day I bought it.
    I've become quite attached to it now so I think I'll try and get another 50,000 miles out of it at least.

If you're looking to buy on finance, ]here is a list of 0% deals

Original Poster

thanks all.

I have money saved up so dont need finance which means i can hopefully knock some more off the price

Go and get yourself a nice new Honda Civic Type R GT.......Insurance might be heavy but worth it :-)

allstar2;3360561

thanks all.I have money saved up so dont need finance which means i can … thanks all.I have money saved up so dont need finance which means i can hopefully knock some more off the price

Ooh, a sensible person. Have some rep.

I still reckon you're better buying second-hand though. Cars depreciate in value quickly when they're newly bought but not so much when they're second-hand, so you could save yourself a few grand there. Plus, with buying second-hand, you get the benefit of a car's service history and the knowledge of common faults throughout the line, which makes them more reliable and easier to maintain than new-bought cars. My car-obsessive friend buys nothing but second-hand.

Original Poster

dxx;3360810

Ooh, a sensible person. Have some rep. I still reckon you're better … Ooh, a sensible person. Have some rep. I still reckon you're better buying second-hand though. Cars depreciate in value quickly when they're newly bought but not so much when they're second-hand, so you could save yourself a few grand there. Plus, with buying second-hand, you get the benefit of a car's service history and the knowledge of common faults throughout the line, which makes them more reliable and easier to maintain than new-bought cars. My car-obsessive friend buys nothing but second-hand.

lol it did help that i got an interest free loan from work :whistling:

it costs an extra 300 pounds to buy a car on finance its a hidden cost.

I know the arguement is there for second hand so i will be looking at those two.

I have found out i will have the privledge of seeing some cost price for a number of cars so at least im going to have good knowledge of what to offer :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions