Found 28th Feb
Hi. just after some input and advice.
We have a 2.0 Audi A6.
I am now after a 2nd car for the missus. I'm after a small run about around 2004/2005.

what is better for a runabout Car, a 1.0 or 1.4 or 1.6 (petrol) or will it not make a difference ?

any advice is welcome.

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
22 Comments

Depends, are you using it for around town only or motorway?

Smaller engine normally means lower tax.

Older car means potentially more maintenance costs. People selling cars around about 100k will most likely have a largish problem with it, hence selling, though they will no doubt claim "nothing wrong with car, just bought a newer/bigger/smaller one" No theres normally a problem and you neded to buy a new one.

Is MPG a concern?

ill try and give u a serious suggestion.

You may be able to pick up an audi a3 from that gen in a 1.6 for cheap.

Your wife will most likey compain after a week and resent you for getting her a 1.0l and hate it after being in something that feels much safer and stronger.

Nothing wrong buying second hand as long as u do some research on the car and plan to maintain it and have a good look over it.

Good luck. A3 is a cracking car to drive tho.

Nothing wrong

depends on how she drives if she's booting around then I 1.0 wouldn't be economic as your using most of the engine power to get up to speed.

in my opinion I would go for a 1.4/1.6 as it wouldn't require a lot of throttle to get up to speed.

also consider insurance and tax
Edited by: "Mikeygolfgt" 28th Feb

Depends on the individual engines and tunings, and the gearing, weight and throttle of the car they're attached to.

The most powerful turbocharged 1.0 engines are probably twice as powerful as the weakest 1.6 models available. For example Ford's turbocharged 1.0 engines can have over 200nm of torque.

EndlessWaves

Depends on the individual engines and tunings, and the gearing, weight … Depends on the individual engines and tunings, and the gearing, weight and throttle of the car they're attached to.The most powerful turbocharged 1.0 engines are probably twice as powerful as the weakest 1.6 models available. For example Ford's turbocharged 1.0 engines can have over 200nm of torque.

​Dont think the op is lpoking to buy new or recebt

Not many turbocharged small blocks from 10+ years ago.

mac9091

Depends, are you using it for around town only or motorway?Smaller engine … Depends, are you using it for around town only or motorway?Smaller engine normally means lower tax.Older car means potentially more maintenance costs. People selling cars around about 100k will most likely have a largish problem with it, hence selling, though they will no doubt claim "nothing wrong with car, just bought a newer/bigger/smaller one" No theres normally a problem and you neded to buy a new one.Is MPG a concern?

​that's a load of **** 100k these days doesn't necessarily mean there's problems with a car if it's been looked after it will be fine. I maybe be a bit worried at around 150k+ for smaller sized engine of say 1 litre but for larger engines it won't be a issue. anyway back to ur original what do u need it for is it lots of short trips like to school and back shopping etc. or long trips on motorways. if it's short trips go for a small sized car something like a toyota yaris, or nissan micra on 2004-5 plate will still have plenty of life left in it if u find a decent one. this will give u better fuel economy than a slightly larger 1.4 or 1.6 engine if u need more space and are likely to drive at higher speeds or motorways then u can go for something like a honda civic or corolla etc. but upto what u really want buy.

WDTV123

​Dont think the op is lpoking to buy new or recebtNot many turbocharged s … ​Dont think the op is lpoking to buy new or recebtNot many turbocharged small blocks from 10+ years ago.

​well we had the start let turbos about 20+ years ago that was a nice small turbo car maybe op can get one of them.

Personally I would buy either Japanese or German, not every used car is a bad buy.. plenty of genuine cars out there, just buyer beware.

As for engine size, well obviously insurance, tax and running costs need looking at, I would be more inclined to the 1.4/1.6 engines, but that will depend on your area, and your missus's age, experience etc.

good luck with the search.

I had a mk1 skoda fabia 1.9 diesel up till a few years ago, that engine is bullet proof. It all depends what you are after and how many miles shes going to do though. My other half has a 1985 mk1 golf cabriolet, its a bit poor in winter with no abs on my version but awesome in summer, parts are cheap as chips, really easy to work on and insurance is £150 a year.

If its a decent reliable car then the Mitsubishi Lancer 05 - 08 is probably the answer. Many reports suggest its the most reliable car that's ever been sold in the UK.

Decent to drive, looks nice, solid components with good spec of which none breaks down or comes off in your hand, saloon or estates versions with either 1.6 or 2.0 petrol engines.

Edited by: "groenleader" 28th Feb

Original Poster

mac9091

Depends, are you using it for around town only or motorway?Smaller engine … Depends, are you using it for around town only or motorway?Smaller engine normally means lower tax.Older car means potentially more maintenance costs. People selling cars around about 100k will most likely have a largish problem with it, hence selling, though they will no doubt claim "nothing wrong with car, just bought a newer/bigger/smaller one" No theres normally a problem and you neded to buy a new one.Is MPG a concern?

​It will just be around town. I assumed if we got a car with a engine then mpg will be lower even though it's an older car?

Original Poster

I meant with a smaller engine

Audi a2 1.4 diesel
Bullet proof , don't rust and £30 per year tax
Seen a few of these with well over 200k on them and look and drive very well

Original Poster

MynameisM

​well we had the start let turbos about 20+ years ago that was a nice s … ​well we had the start let turbos about 20+ years ago that was a nice small turbo car maybe op can get one of them.

​It just for short trips, school and all the shopping she does! it won't really be used on the motorway. although we do live in a 'hilly' area.
so maybe a 1.4 petrol would still be good on fuel consumption? maybe like a fiesta? would you consider 80k too much on a 55plate?

What sort of run around?
Purely town driving, dropping kids off at school, big food shops, 3 or 5 door etc
What budget?

I wouldn't go for 10+ years without you have a really small budget as newer car mean less maintenance, better mpg and better performance.
Hell a new Dacia might be in budget and for a town runabout you couldn't really complain.

MynameisM

​well we had the start let turbos about 20+ years ago that was a nice s … ​well we had the start let turbos about 20+ years ago that was a nice small turbo car maybe op can get one of them.

Not sure if your trolling or not.

1.4 honda civic

get her Fred Flintstones car. now that's a real run around

abacus21

​It just for short trips, school and all the shopping she does! it won't r … ​It just for short trips, school and all the shopping she does! it won't really be used on the motorway. although we do live in a 'hilly' area.so maybe a 1.4 petrol would still be good on fuel consumption? maybe like a fiesta? would you consider 80k too much on a 55plate?

Mileage isn't as important as the condition. I'd rather a car at 120k which has tonnes of invoices than a car with 80k with no service history.
To be honest, if she is only doing short trips, is fuel consumption going to be that much of an issue? Whether it's 40mpg or 45mpg? Again, I'd pay more attention to the condition of the car.
Fiestas are generally good cars are parts are cheap and freely available. Just a tip though, make sure the cambelt has been done. I believe it's 100k or 10 years change interval. I've recently had one done on a 10 year old 1.6 TD fiesta and it cost £320.

abacus21

​It just for short trips, school and all the shopping she does! it won't r … ​It just for short trips, school and all the shopping she does! it won't really be used on the motorway. although we do live in a 'hilly' area.so maybe a 1.4 petrol would still be good on fuel consumption? maybe like a fiesta? would you consider 80k too much on a 55plate?

​not at all 80k seems fine even for a ford. I'd go for a Japanese car instead as been thru the rest and they are either very unreliable had rovers and ford before or expensive on fuel like the protons or kia. German or ok but the older ones aren't worth it as service costs on them are quite high, didn't know until a friend wanted a basic service done on a polo and it cost around £45 quid just for parts alone vs say a civic at the same time £25 or a micra £20. most nissan ls dome have a timing belt so that's one less thing worry about with a older car.

Hardly any difference in price on parts from factors , I'd buy German all day long
They are not expensive to service either

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best/cheapest music service55
    2. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?812
    3. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?38
    4. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…33

See more discussions