Groups

Car advice

I have a 53 reg renault clio done 61,000 miles and the cambelt has snapped so it is on my drive as a non runner. Is it worth fixing or selling to a garage (seems to be about £700 to fix)
    I have £1600 left on it in finance what should I do ?????

11 Comments

ouch ! thats bad luck as its due around 60k ,what cc is it ? trouble is the garage wont give much for it as a non runner, if its in fairly good nick you might wanna think about getting it fixed, i just repaired a 53plate 16v megane scenic with 30k on the clock that cost about £1500 to get back on the road as the water pump seized which caused the cambelt to snap, bent all 16 valves.

since its on finance has it got any type of warranty ?

Should get it fixed tbh.. Unless you really wanna get a new car.. Then still.. the best thing to do would be to fix it and then sell it on/..

that crap mate i think it be best to fix it but it not be cheap
    ive just had a new car and its had a list of problems that all cars are good for problems and a big cost to run

You may be able to hand it back to the finance company - check your agreement and see if it has halves and thirds. If it does it will say something like "once xx payments have been made the financee has the right to terminate this agreement by handing back the goods" it will (or usually) says something about needing to take reasonable care of the goods, and them being in a satisfactory condition for their age and mileage - if you have had the vehicle serviced as per the servicing schedule and all advisory items have been replaced as and when then you could always argue the toss with them that you did take precautionary steps to take reasonable care of the goods but this was unforseeable?? But its a long shot, and I'm not going to say it's likely to work with them - but worth a phone call.

Failing that - I'd stick it on ebay, but remember you have to say the finance off before you can sell it.

Original Poster

many thanks everyone- anyone know any cheap mechanics in cheshire ha !!!

If its done engine damage your looking at £1000s to fix.

If it didnt do any damage (doubtful) then its a case of just replacing cambelt. My cambelt snapped on 1 of my old cars 5 years ago didnt do any damage BUT that was a honda not french rubbish

trade it into a garage get 2k off a car.

J4GG4;6689275

If its done engine damage your looking at £1000s to fix.If it didnt do … If its done engine damage your looking at £1000s to fix.If it didnt do any damage (doubtful) then its a case of just replacing cambelt. My cambelt snapped on 1 of my old cars 5 years ago didnt do any damage BUT that was a honda not french rubbish :)trade it into a garage get 2k off a car.

seems a bit of random figure?

think he's talking about the scrappage deal for a new vehicle.

A 53 plate car is far too new for the scrappage scheme, the car must be first registered before 31st August 1999 (T reg)

Is there any obvious reason why the cambelt has snapped in terms of servicing or similar?

John

burn it

Check your finance agreement. You can normally hand back the car with no penalties if you have paid at least 3/4 of the payments iirc
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmeticians1930
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767425
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876401
      4. word association Game74044570

See more discussions