Car advice : can you use different mix of coolants in car?

Posted 15th Aug 2021
Looking for some advice. I did a coolant flush a few months back on my car using TRIPLE QX Orange Ready Mixed Antifreeze/Coolant- this one here. eurocarparts.com/p/t…981

Yesterday I noticed the coolant level was a bit low but I didn't have the same coolant to top it up with so I used a carplan blue star Antifreeze - this one carparts4less.co.uk/sea…BwE.

Would it be OK as I used a different mix? I hear there is conflicting advice about using different mix of coolants but wanted to know what everyone thinks. Do I need to do a flush and replace all of it or it be fine?

Thanks for any advice.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Anonymous User
    Lots of comments but there are coolants out there that can be mixed.

“Prestone is guaranteed for all cars and can be mixed with any other colour of coolant/antifreeze, making it the best choice for you. You can use it to top up your car or to refill the cooling system after you’ve drained and flushed it“

holtsauto.com/pre…se/
    joyf4536
    slimy3115/08/2021 14:31

Mixing coolants can turn the whole system into mayonnaise, it's not …Mixing coolants can turn the whole system into mayonnaise, it's not attractive or cheap to fix. Personally I would flush it out and replace it with what the manufacturer suggests.

If your cooling system if full of 'Mayonnaise' it's probably your head gasket.
    JSL
    If memory serves me.. You must put the correct coolant for the specific car. The colour of the coolant doesn't necessarily prove what type of coolant it is. Personally, I wouldn't mix different coolants as it may make the anti corrosion ingredients less effective.

Why can't you just get the smaller bottle?

eurocarparts.com/p/t…982 (edited)
    HappyShopper
    You shouldn't have mixed coolants - I believe, but could be wrong, you would have been better off topping up with water until you could get some more of the original coolant.
    Delbert.Grady
    Look at it this way... you've added about half a litre of the wrong stuff but whats the capacity of your cooling system?
    Must be at least 5 litres because you bought that amount when you did the flush and you have none left, so less than 10% of your coolant is the wrong type, so I wouldn't worry about it, I certainly wouldn't drain the system just to get rid of it.
    Just top up with the Triple QX orange one, or a compatible one, in future. (edited)
    Mark_Hickman
    Delbert.Grady15/08/2021 16:10

Look at it this way... you've added about half a litre of the wrong stuff …Look at it this way... you've added about half a litre of the wrong stuff but whats the capacity of your cooling system? Must be at least 5 litres because you bought that amount when you did the flush and you have none left, so less than 10% of your coolant is the wrong type, so I wouldn't worry about it, I certainly wouldn't drain the system just to get rid of it. Just top up with the Triple QX orange one, or a compatible one, in future.

This
    ash7612 Author
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will keep an eye on the coolant level for the next few days and top it up with the original coolant which I have now purchased.
    cliosport65
    slimy3115/08/2021 14:31

Mixing coolants can turn the whole system into mayonnaise, it's not …Mixing coolants can turn the whole system into mayonnaise, it's not attractive or cheap to fix. Personally I would flush it out and replace it with what the manufacturer suggests.

It won't turn it into mayonnaise more like jelly
    cliosport65
    Delbert.Grady15/08/2021 16:10

Look at it this way... you've added about half a litre of the wrong stuff …Look at it this way... you've added about half a litre of the wrong stuff but whats the capacity of your cooling system? Must be at least 5 litres because you bought that amount when you did the flush and you have none left, so less than 10% of your coolant is the wrong type, so I wouldn't worry about it, I certainly wouldn't drain the system just to get rid of it. Just top up with the Triple QX orange one, or a compatible one, in future.

This again
    slimy31
    cliosport6515/08/2021 22:02

It won't turn it into mayonnaise more …It won't turn it into mayonnaise more like jelly

LOL, I was never very good with condiments! It's pretty gross though, and usually terminal for the engine.

The G12 coolant in VAG cars was the most common I saw, owners not wanting to pay for proper G12, topping it up with 'regular' coolant then regretting it soon after.
    ash7612 Author
    JSL15/08/2021 14:22

If memory serves me.. You must put the correct coolant for the specific car …If memory serves me.. You must put the correct coolant for the specific car. The colour of the coolant doesn't necessarily prove what type of coolant it is. Personally, I wouldn't mix different coolants as it may make the anti corrosion ingredients less effective.Why can't you just get the smaller bottle? https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-qx-orange-ready-mixed-antifreeze-coolant-1ltr-523770982

I can get the smaller bottle but as I've added around half a litre of the carplan blue Antifreeze, can I still use the triple qx orange one after?
    slimy31
    Mixing coolants can turn the whole system into mayonnaise, it's not attractive or cheap to fix. Personally I would flush it out and replace it with what the manufacturer suggests.
    JSL
    ash761215/08/2021 14:30

I can get the smaller bottle but as I've added around half a litre of the …I can get the smaller bottle but as I've added around half a litre of the carplan blue Antifreeze, can I still use the triple qx orange one after?

Sorry, what ever coolant you first used, just get the smaller bottle of that. Even if it costs a few quid more than you expected, its not worth the risk.
    Dimension10
    A
    MonkeyMan90
    No. If its green in the system only use green to fill back up. You should always use the same colour
    exbiker
    tesco.com/gro…413
    4L Prestone antifreeze £7 (Clubcard) or it's £14 without.
    madoka_ayukawa
    If you have to top up the coolant,, I'd worry about a leak more than the colour of the coolant
's avatar
Top Merchants