Car Android Radios

Posted 12th Mar
Good evening

So I've got a 2009 Ford Mondeo and the radio is in the way out. The aux port works whenever it feels like it and the radio switches off on its own quite a bit.

I'm tempted to buy an Android radio which I can link as a hot spot to my phone and can use for DAB radio, Spotify etc as well as to play films for the little one if ever we need to and get the chance

The satnav is a fairly nice bonus although I rarely tend to use one.

Has anyone got one and what are your experiences in regards to reliability, quality etc? Any specific ones to recommend?

I've looked on Alixpress and eBay and seen various ones, they seem fairly similar but OK fully aware that two Chinese products that look similar might not also have th edame quality so I'd rather purchase something based on feedback.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Observation: are you sure the radio power-off issue you mention on the current unit is not external to it (intermiitent supply / connection) and so possibly would still present on a replacement that uses same connectivity? Or is the issue just exclusive to the radio section of the existing unit?
I have same car. You can buy a Bluetooth adaptor for the auxiliary port then steam from phone. If original stereo is playing up its an easy swap and plenty of ford stereos about to replace it. Ive upgraded speakers which sounds better. I've read ford make Bluetooth adapter that was fitted to newer fords that you can add but not sure how easy that is. Swaps for the phones Bluetooth unit behind glove box so will stream music as well as calls..
Edited by: "wayners" 12th Mar
Just have a double din carplay/android auto stereo from a reputable manufacturer fitted, pioneer, kenwood etc. I wouldnt trust a cheap China android stereo.
AndyRoyd12/03/2020 21:23

Observation: are you sure the radio power-off issue you mention on the …Observation: are you sure the radio power-off issue you mention on the current unit is not external to it (intermiitent supply / connection) and so possibly would still present on a replacement that uses same connectivity? Or is the issue just exclusive to the radio section of the existing unit?

I'll be honest, it didn't cross my mind it could be connectivity issues but the head unit due to it not happening continuously.

Also because the Aux feature doesn't work and pickup the phone attached or just flicking back to radio, again I put this down to it being the head unit not working properly.

I guess I'd have to find a way to test that before deciding what to do.
Edited by: "Sc4mp0" 13th Mar
wayners12/03/2020 22:32

I have same car. You can buy a Bluetooth adaptor for the auxiliary port …I have same car. You can buy a Bluetooth adaptor for the auxiliary port then steam from phone. If original stereo is playing up its an easy swap and plenty of ford stereos about to replace it. Ive upgraded speakers which sounds better. I've read ford make Bluetooth adapter that was fitted to newer fords that you can add but not sure how easy that is. Swaps for the phones Bluetooth unit behind glove box so will stream music as well as calls..

I used to have a Bluetooth aux adapter tucked nicely away in my glove compartment but as above the aux stopped working properly and so does the head unit.

I did think about just replacing it like for like but previously when I looked they were about £40 secondhand so thought for a bit more I can get a new unit with features that make life a tad easier.
MadSkilzYo13/03/2020 06:18

Just have a double din carplay/android auto stereo from a reputable …Just have a double din carplay/android auto stereo from a reputable manufacturer fitted, pioneer, kenwood etc. I wouldnt trust a cheap China android stereo.

Cost of them is quite high and if you need the fitting adapter as well even more.

I do know "buy cheap buy twice" which I'd want to avoid if possible but if anyone has good experiences with these I'll give it a go.

Will leave me with money to use for a few other things that need doing as well.
I had an Smax and fitted an aftermarket Android stereo and it was pretty good although DAB and sound quality wasn't great, It was acceptable.

Pumpkin are quite reputable

as are Xtrons

Go for one with more RAM if you can and the latest Android version available. They're usually updateable. I updated mine from Android 7 to Android 8. I had a dash cam and reverse cam linked to it.

XDA forum has various guides etc

You could probably extend your options if you go for a double din unit instead, Probably cheaper too.
I've spent many years playing around with android double din units...Pumkpin's/Xtrons etc....

They are ok but reliability can be an issue and updates are RARE. I've personally ditched these now that android auto units from major brands are now priced more reasonably. the FM reception and WiFi reception were poor in all of them without exception

I'm now using a pioneer sph-da230dab double din unit and wouldn't go back to a Chinese Android unit if you paid me.

It has Android Auto/Apple Carplay support along with Dab, connect to your phone with a cable when you get in the car and it charges your phone as well as using the power of your phone for the Android/Apple in car stuff (I use mine for Waze/Google Maps/ Spotify and Audible. as I have plenty of Data I also usually use the Radioplayer app for internet radio as well as DAB is still not great in all areas.

I paid £260 for my unit as an open box on ebay....
I've had 2 pumpkin radios. Absolute sack of cack. No support from pumpkin so very hard to find new firmware, first loaded with malware. 2nd newer model had constant bootloops, lockups, random shutdowns (presumably from overheating). Replacement did same. Some have poor bluetooth and wifi connectivity - those with mediatek chips which are ****.

Avoid!

PS, playing films in it while driving - even for the little one, will get you in a lot of trouble.
Just buy them a £40 fire 8
Yes an Android auto stereo from a more reputable brand would most certainly be a better choice.

Tbh I didn't have any real issues with mine.
@.MUFC. Cheers for the suggestions and the link to the forums as well, will have a read of them

@Uridium Thank you, whilst I'd like to be able to spend a few hundred quid on a radio which is from a well known brand like pioneer I can't at this moment in time so unfortunately will have to try and be lucky with what I get.

@MrKrabs have you tried any other android or just home back to a normal radio now?
Just be aware that although the android headunits may state quad core or octacore the CPUs they use are very slow, much slower than your phone will be. Also don't touch any with less than 2gb ram or they will be painfully slow.

I actually still have one older quadcore Pumkin unit in my other car and using an app called "headunit reloaded" from the Google play store this actually launches android auto as an emulator on the android head unit as soon as you connect your phone.
It's about £4 but transforms the older cheaper Chinese Android head units

play.google.com/sto….hr

also I'd avoid buying from AliExpress etc...or even ebay. Stick to Amazon and Prime sellers...., I sent two units back for faults last year (one kept freezing, the other had a blown audio chip) Although they will cost more form Amazon the returns experience is great, sending a faulty unit back to China will be costly.
Edited by: "Uridium" 13th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants