Groups

CAR AUDIO/ SUBWOOFER QUERY

Got a subwoofer in the boot when i bought my new car but the dial seems to have broken and now i cant control the sub in the boot from the front seat - its an after market install

I've googled volume dial and sub control but cant find anything close to what I want to replace the switch

Heres a picture of the switch and the leads it needs to connect to

Any ideas?

Daniel

9 Comments

Original Poster

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/7940/img1502uz.jpg
    http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8088/img1503gt.jpg
    Edited by: "dandoc2" 24th Apr 2011

Banned

That's just a variable resistor isn't it? Prob just replace from maplins. By the way my sub has a vol dial and my head unit has sub vol too. You might be able to make do without the hardware volume control?

Original Poster

vibeone

That's just a variable resistor isn't it? Prob just replace from maplins. … That's just a variable resistor isn't it? Prob just replace from maplins. By the way my sub has a vol dial and my head unit has sub vol too. You might be able to make do without the hardware volume control?

Link - cant find it ??

Banned

dandoc2

Link - cant find it ??

Thats what I'm saying - its just a generic component. Test it to work out the various resistance limits, then find a replacement from any electronics place - maplins, RS, etc

Are you sure its the switch and not the wiring? Looks as if corrosion of some sort has set in at the joints.

So you broke yer knob?
    Just re-solder the wires on to the joints.

Original Poster

bargain surfer

So you broke yer knob? Just re-solder the wires on to the joints.

I didnt break it it just came lose and then snapped itself - but i dont know where to solder them too nor do have soldering equipment - if someone could find me a new part i might be able to take it somewhere to get fixed

So im looking for a variable resistor but cant find anything online that looks like mine
    Edited by: "dandoc2" 24th Apr 2011

i have a JBL one of those, but the cable it takes has like phone plug connection.

Potentiometer is probably fine. Do you have any crimps? Just stick some 1/8 spade connectors on the end of the cable and plug them on. Trial and error will get the correct combination. It's only a volume control so getting the wiring wrong will only result in either no volume or full volume (keep head unit turned down). If you don't have any crimps just cut some old wires off a car harness or radio and connect them with terminal strip or something.

What colours on the cables looked stripped?

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1847
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …183473
      3. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October1022
      4. Any PS4 News Here29213642

See more discussions