car battery issues

Never ever had a problem with my car battery before.

Last night around 1am I tried to start my car didn't start. Luckily my friend came over to try and jump start, didn't work.

I didn't have breakdown cover, I unfortunately had to sort an emergency breakdown cover out with the RAC which cost me a lot!

So they come and jumped start the car! The drive home was about 35miles I had no problem, and today everything seems to be fine?

However do I still need to replace the battery?

23 Comments

Go to a garage, they will test the battery for you for free, I think from experience its probably knackered. Some batterys have a little LED on the top which shows the status, green or red.

If your battery is over 5 years old then it would be advisable to get a new battery.
If jump starting or recharging doesn't get your car going, you may have a more serious problem. If you can get your car to the nearest Halfords, our in-store staff can check your battery for free and determine whether the issue is simply a flat car battery, or whether it could be something else, such as a fault with the alternator.

Original Poster

k4j3

Go to a garage, they will test the battery for you for free, I think from … Go to a garage, they will test the battery for you for free, I think from experience its probably knackered. Some batterys have a little LED on the top which shows the status, green or red.

Thanks and Yes my LED is showing Green?

Original Poster

BazUK

If your battery is over 5 years old then it would be advisable to get a … If your battery is over 5 years old then it would be advisable to get a new battery. If jump starting or recharging doesn't get your car going, you may have a more serious problem. If you can get your car to the nearest Halfords, our in-store staff can check your battery for free and determine whether the issue is simply a flat car battery, or whether it could be something else, such as a fault with the alternator.

Will try to do that later today

Akaptel94

Thanks and Yes my LED is showing Green?

The battery should be ok then, could be the alternator still Id check it at a garage, battrey is the cheaper option..

Could be the battery, could be the cabling. If the main earth strap is corroded then you'll have trouble starting.

Were your mates jump leads decent or skinny rubbish things? What are the cars involved? Was it raining last night but fine now?

Cold conditions are when knackered batteries begin to show problems.

Buy a taster. They plug in cigarette lighter socket. Will tell you if battery has correct voltage. Will also show if it's charging OK. They are about a £10 but I have used it many times over the years. I also think you get a feeling things aren't right with batteries so best replace if it's playing up. Local garage will supply and fit or for diy order online for next day delivery. I diy myself as a little cheaper. I buy the cheapest battery I can as I have found the better ones don't last longer. Just my experience l, not what I read on reviews .

The led is a waste of time youll need a discharge test done

123batman321

The led is a waste of time youll need a discharge test done

​agreed. i work for a motor factor and yuasa told us they are only there for show and should not be relied upon.

go to your local factors they should be able to do a battery test for you

BobIzYaUncle

​agreed. i work for a motor factor and yuasa told us they are only there f … ​agreed. i work for a motor factor and yuasa told us they are only there for show and should not be relied upon.go to your local factors they should be able to do a battery test for you

How do you find yuasa? Had to stop sellin them kept goin faulty under the year

Give it a full charge and see how you go, the cold weather is great at killing off tired batteries.

As long as you have no warning lights on your dash your alternator should be fine. If it happens again get it tested and think about replacing the battery.

Don't you get battery tests as part of your yearly service ?

Original Poster

As I've paid a fortunate for the break down cover -_- I've decided to keep the battery as it is and if it happens again I will replace. Alternator is fine. The car is a 2011 reg and still running the factory battery, again I'm assuming battery isn't hold enough charge due to age.

Original Poster

I've booked it in for the Halfords free battery check I'm sure they will be able to determine if it's a bad battery.

Akaptel94

I've booked it in for the Halfords free battery check I'm sure they will … I've booked it in for the Halfords free battery check I'm sure they will be able to determine if it's a bad battery.

RAC / AA would have advised you of the battery condition when they sorted you out. they did this for me a couple of years back...advised me to get a new one...I didn't and sold the car last month with the same battery going well.
Maybe your car just needs a good "daylight" long run...no draining things "on" (lights off, rear window heater off...the usual big draining items all off). Car batteries (original equipment) are like exhausts now...they last for YEARS and YEARS

tomba

RAC / AA would have advised you of the battery condition when they sorted … RAC / AA would have advised you of the battery condition when they sorted you out. they did this for me a couple of years back...advised me to get a new one...I didn't and sold the car last month with the same battery going well.Maybe your car just needs a good "daylight" long run...no draining things "on" (lights off, rear window heater off...the usual big draining items all off). Car batteries (original equipment) are like exhausts now...they last for YEARS and YEARS

Good point a long run is the best thing but your actually better doing it with lights and ac etc on as the alternator will boost it up better

Original Poster

tomba

RAC / AA would have advised you of the battery condition when they sorted … RAC / AA would have advised you of the battery condition when they sorted you out. they did this for me a couple of years back...advised me to get a new one...I didn't and sold the car last month with the same battery going well.Maybe your car just needs a good "daylight" long run...no draining things "on" (lights off, rear window heater off...the usual big draining items all off). Car batteries (original equipment) are like exhausts now...they last for YEARS and YEARS

I usual have a lot of things on when I'm driving eg. Heating, charging my phone, aux, stereo, lights

Original Poster

Quick question just put my reg into eurocarpart as has recommended a S4 Battery type 012 however S4 battery type 063, is cheaper but hasn't recommend me this battery. The differences are that type 012 Amp Hours is 52Ah and 420cca whilst type 063 44ah and 440cca? Does this make a different?

Just a question...... Are you sure you just didn't leave lights on or some other device draining the battery? Also when the other person tried a jump start did they do it properly or was their battery not up to the job (if RAC did it ok id say it was one or both).

Original Poster

u664541

Just a question...... Are you sure you just didn't leave lights on or … Just a question...... Are you sure you just didn't leave lights on or some other device draining the battery? Also when the other person tried a jump start did they do it properly or was their battery not up to the job (if RAC did it ok id say it was one or both).

The rac had to connect two positive cable to the terminal before it started. They used a heavy duty battery which he had in the back of his van
Edited by: "Akaptel94" 9th Dec 2016

Banned

BazUK

If your battery is over 5 years old then it would be advisable to get a … If your battery is over 5 years old then it would be advisable to get a new battery.

In 28 years of driving I have only replaced one battery. & that was my error because it was caused by a faulty diesel pre-heater & the battery was fine.

YouDontWantToKnow

In 28 years of driving I have only replaced one battery. & that was my … In 28 years of driving I have only replaced one battery. & that was my error because it was caused by a faulty diesel pre-heater & the battery was fine.

You are probably one lucky driver but I am saying what you will be told if you buy any car battery now a days. They advise you that battery life is about 5 years. I assume that you were doing lot of milage so battery never got fully drained. I drove very little when I had the car so battery drain was frequent especially in winter, I had lights and heater on to de mist the glass windows. Winter always have a significant affect on batteries.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. seller asked for IMEI33
    2. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)78
    3. cats and royal canin biscuits69
    4. Wifi extender812

See more discussions