Groups

car breakdown cover

Hi,
    I am wanting to have breakdown cover for my car. What would be the cheapest company to go with. Also is the service they provide good. Don't want to be paying for breakdown cover and not get good service. Could you let me know what company you are with and if they are any good. Thanks in advance for your help.

9 Comments

Don't know if tesco still do it , but avoid like the plague. We had a 2 car joint policy and they decided to refuse to send out a breakdown truck as they couldn't find details of a second person . So I had to pay to get towed , £200 to get off motorway and partner had to drive 80 miles to pick me up
    . Sorted the next day with no apology and refund sent , no letter , no explaination. Shocking service.

Ramble alert... Cover can vary significantly between providers, as can the typical response time. It can be dull, but it always wise to check the terms & conditions of policies to see what isn't covered. Some providers cover the vehicle; others cover the person regardless of who owns the distressed vehicle. Some policies will only recover the vehicle to the nearest garage regardless of what day / time it is (so worst case would possibly be a breakdown late Saturday on a bank hol w/end = stranded with no chance of repair for 2+ days). Some policies only cover mechanical and electrical failure, so say you accidentaly thump a kerb and damage suspenison, that can be classed as an incident / accident and not covered, but can be chargeable as an extra. Same with RTAs and after vandalism and undriveable theft / fire where most operators will charge for assistance but some providers include recovery to wherever you want the remains of your vehicle taken - this is probably of most importance to drivers having 3rd-party insurance who have no way other means of recovering the cost of recovery(!). The cheapest policy without juggling cashback is probably via a pay-and-claim service. AutoAid is a popular pay-and-claim provider on HUKD, it provides personal cover plus free cover for your spouse / civil partner; provides an hour of roadside assistance; will recover your vehicle to one location of your choice, will attend at no additional charge after RTA, cover home breakdowns, emergency travel or overnight hotel accommodation and include an attached caravan or small trailer, etc. About £42 / year. autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/
    AutoAid's comprehensive definition of a breakdown is "mechanical or electrical breakdown (failures or breakages), flat batteries, punctures, lack of fuel, lost ignition keys or damage which is caused by an accident, vandalism or theft and results in you not being able to drive the vehicle.." Just compare that to other providers and you shouldn't be caught out by "I thought this was covered" only to find out you're not.
    December 2016 T&C can be viewed here.

Have a look at start rescue.

i have been with start rescue for a few years never used them tho (there is a 15% discount code on here), but are one of the cheapest, Auto Aid are pay and claim back and does not appeal to me trying to find money to pay a garage when i have broke down, suits some people tho
    Edited by: "deanos" 10th Feb

For years I have alternated the big boys , RAC, AA, Green Flag etc... but going thru Topcashback or Quidco.who have different deals on all the time, I was paying £9 for a years basic breakdown at one stage

Been with start rescue for three years now, have used them twice once for flat battery once for damaged wheel and tyre, they arrived within thirty minutes both times and (their agents) where both polite helpful and efficient. They have an app you can download to your phone so should you need their services they can locate you easily, which was very helpful as with the damaged wheel and tyre in incident my Mrs had no idea what road she was on (long journey up country in the dark).
    On both occasions they have telephoned about an hour after each incident has been sorted just to check that everything is still okay. Personally I cannot recommend them enough, and they are very reasonably priced compared to the mainstream/ well known companies.

Original Poster

Thankyou for all your comments. Much appreciated

AndyRoyd

Ramble alert... Cover can vary significantly between providers, as can … Ramble alert... Cover can vary significantly between providers, as can the typical response time. It can be dull, but it always wise to check the terms & conditions of policies to see what isn't covered. Some providers cover the vehicle; others cover the person regardless of who owns the distressed vehicle. Some policies will only recover the vehicle to the nearest garage regardless of what day / time it is (so worst case would possibly be a breakdown late Saturday on a bank hol w/end = stranded with no chance of repair for 2+ days). Some policies only cover mechanical and electrical failure, so say you accidentaly thump a kerb and damage suspenison, that can be classed as an incident / accident and not covered, but can be chargeable as an extra. Same with RTAs and after vandalism and undriveable theft / fire where most operators will charge for assistance but some providers include recovery to wherever you want the remains of your vehicle taken - this is probably of most importance to drivers having 3rd-party insurance who have no way other means of recovering the cost of recovery(!). The cheapest policy without juggling cashback is probably via a pay-and-claim service. AutoAid is a popular pay-and-claim provider on HUKD, it provides personal cover plus free cover for your spouse / civil partner; provides an hour of roadside assistance; will recover your vehicle to one location of your choice, will attend at no additional charge after RTA, cover home breakdowns, emergency travel or overnight hotel accommodation and include an attached caravan or small trailer, etc. About £42 / year. https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/AutoAid's comprehensive definition of a breakdown is "mechanical or electrical breakdown (failures or breakages), flat batteries, punctures, lack of fuel, lost ignition keys or damage which is caused by an accident, vandalism or theft and results in you not being able to drive the vehicle.." Just compare that to other providers and you shouldn't be caught out by "I thought this was covered" only to find out you're not.December 2016 T&C can be viewed here.

​+1 for autoaid been with them for years and my most recent breakdowns they've not taken money from me but billed autoaid directly.
    been towed home on a late sunday evening from Birmingham to London with 3 kids on board no problem. Just has to wait slightly longer to find a tow truck that could fit all 5 of us in but all in a really good experience.

deanos

i have been with start rescue for a few years never used them tho (there … i have been with start rescue for a few years never used them tho (there is a 15% discount code on here), but are one of the cheapest, Auto Aid are pay and claim back and does not appeal to me trying to find money to pay a garage when i have broke down, suits some people tho

The advantage with the pay&claim model is when funding the breakdown-related invoice via a credit card. This technically turns the service into a free short term loan (!) as you typically receive the invoice reimbursement before you have to pay the credit card company. The credit card also drifts towards providing Section 75 protection for certain instances where the breakdown service provision is in excess of £100; this is not possible with traditional free-at-point-of-service providers.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win the ultimate Land Rover Rugby Prize11
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card66
      3. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine54
      4. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…88

See more discussions