Car breakdown & Recovery query.

Posted 15th Sep
Ok, so I'm looking for recommendations for a decent company to take out a policy with.
I want something with homestart and National recovery but I've noticed some charge an excess of £40+.
Can anyone recommend a company they've had experience with?
I've noticed good reviews for some companies are being posted by people who haven't even used the services provided by these companies so the reviews seem a bit misleading.
My car is over 10 years old and I bank with HSBC who I don't think offer breakdown cover with my account.
Appreciate any advice
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Its in effect an insurance policy for breakdowns . I've been with "Start Rescue" for 4 years now - very reasonable , but never had to use them . Thankfully whenever a thread like this appears there are many who come on and say they are excellent when called upon .
Green Flag were excellent when I broke down 2 weeks ago
I won’t go into recommending one but watch the small print, many cheaper policies don’t cover cars over 10 years old but will still take your money.
We are with Auto-aid who were excellent when we broke down. They cover the driver not the car so age of vehicle doesn’t matter.
Why not either of the two big ones, AA or RAC?

I'm with RAC and pay about £18 per month for me and the Mrs. Covers any car we are in even if we are just a passenger. Has everything including hire car and key cover.

I know it's expensive but I drive a 12 year old Alfa so get them out a few times a year.
666FU16/09/2019 08:08

Why not either of the two big ones, AA or RAC?I'm with RAC and pay about …Why not either of the two big ones, AA or RAC?I'm with RAC and pay about £18 per month for me and the Mrs. Covers any car we are in even if we are just a passenger. Has everything including hire car and key cover.I know it's expensive but I drive a 12 year old Alfa so get them out a few times a year.

Out of curuousty, ever needed to call out RAC recently?
I tried in June, at 7.30am on a Sunday morning and they said they couldn't get me until 1pm.

Had 60 miles more to go, eventually decided to drive on at around 10am when the estimated time was proving to be accurate, roughly knew what it was, about seventy percent confident I'd get there and I did fortunately.

Since then I've spoken to a lot of people with similar horrendous stories.

I've been thinking of switching to green flag.
Edited by: "Gynx" 16th Sep
Gynx16/09/2019 08:35

Out of curuousty, ever needed to call out RAC recently? I tried in June, …Out of curuousty, ever needed to call out RAC recently? I tried in June, at 7.30am on a Sunday morning and they said they couldn't get me until 1pm.Had 60 miles more to go, eventually decided to drive on at around 10am when the estimated time was proving to be accurate, roughly knew what it was, about seventy percent confident I'd get there and I did fortunately. Since then I've spoken to a lot of people with similar horrendous stories.I've been thinking of switching to green flag.

Last time I called them out was may. Took about 2 hours from when I called to when I was driving again. Was midday near Weston super mare.
Greenflag are cheap for new ish cars.
Over 10 year old cars Autoaid seem to win.
Reviews are good to.

In the last 30 years of owning and driving cars using breakdown cover, I found them all the same.
AA, called out came in 50 mins. Called out at crystal palace and told 2 plus hours ( complained on call as could see 4 AA units across the road at burger van drinking tea ) 5 mins later had a driver.
Greenflag were good when used for bike as included car for free, back in 2000 -2005 they would recover after a crash for free but dont now. Call outs were between 1-2 hours.
Now with RAC till 2021 but not called out yet.
The T&C of the smaller companys worry me.
The recovery section.
Garage first.
If cant be fixed that day recovery to home etc. This is OK.
But some state after a fair ammount of time or at our discretion. Thats the dodgy bit. Whats a fair ammount of time a day or a week.
How about spending some money on a car charger with a quick connect to keep it topped up, so many car starting problems are "winter" related & battery issues to prep yourself better for winters & negate the cost of some excesses year on year?

Topping up your car battery,& having a cheap voltage reader / usb combination (for about £1.60 on ali express) can take the guesswork out of when to charge to increase the likelihood of higher voltage battery maintainence & cold season starter reliability.
nannafish16/09/2019 06:32

We are with Auto-aid who were excellent when we broke down. They cover the …We are with Auto-aid who were excellent when we broke down. They cover the driver not the car so age of vehicle doesn’t matter.

Ditto.
PS if you have a stop start battery / car combination you would be best off getting a ctek with the "snowflake" button. ..the frequency of that setting gets you out of the need for a "speciality" charger within their range because of the potential for a "different" (not about to get technical) plate battery compared to a regular lead acid.

(that is also their winter charge setting)
Start Rescue, they are reasonably priced and I have had to use them. They were excellent and I couldn't fault them. Quick response, friendly and easy to deal with.
The last time i had to use AA they subcontracted the job out - needless to say i didn't renew with them again.

Even the likes of AA are now subcontracting - yet we pay for THEIR service not their subcontractors who could not identify that it was actually a fuse/ relay that had blown and decided to start dismantling everything under the steering wheel!
Rescue my car, cheap and you can opt to pay a bit more to avoid paying an excess. They were excellent on the one time I had to call them out.
Check t&c for what is included and what is not, same as any other insurance policy. Examples: some providers will recover to nearest garage only, not to location of policyholder's choice; some include recovery after accident (most don't, but will provide that service for a fee at time of recovery); some include lost / busted key service; miss-fueling issues; post-vandalism/theft recovery. AutoAid tends to beneficially cover all those incidents with no additional cost, regardless of vehicle age.
AndyRoyd16/09/2019 11:57

Check t&c for what is included and what is not, same as any other …Check t&c for what is included and what is not, same as any other insurance policy. Examples: some providers will recover to nearest garage only, not to location of policyholder's choice; some include recovery after accident (most don't, but will provide that service for a fee at time of recovery); some include lost / busted key service; miss-fueling issues; post-vandalism/theft recovery. AutoAid tends to beneficially cover all those incidents with no additional cost, regardless of vehicle age.

I hear good and bad about autoaid but it seems that's the same with all companies including AA & RAC.
Just looking for a company that's reliable and has no hidden charges in the small print.
1616french16/09/2019 12:10

I hear good and bad about autoaid but it seems that's the same with all …I hear good and bad about autoaid but it seems that's the same with all companies including AA & RAC.Just looking for a company that's reliable and has no hidden charges in the small print.

The "small print" you refer to may include similar items such as Start Rescue's definition of "National Recovery" which is:
"we will arrange for the vehicle, you and the passengers to be recovered to a garage for repair, your home or original destination, whichever is nearer."
Note the "whichever is nearer" clause. This may not be convenient for you.
Compare to AutoAid (and possibly others) where AutoAid's definition of National Recovery is:
"We will arrange and pay the cost of taking the vehicle, you and up to 5 passengers from the place where the vehicle has broken-down to any one place you choose."
I use autoaid. It also covers you for any vehicle you are a passenger in! It covers the person so any vehicle you own is covered, be it car or motorbike etc! Quite handy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants