Car brakes making noise when braking

Posted 4th Feb
Hi all,

I recently bought a car off a family member that I knew had a history of making noises when braking (when it has rained/ is raining).

However since I’ve had it, the noise has changed from being a high pitch squeaking noise to now a low pitch kind of ‘grinding’ noise.

It passed it’s MOT less than 3 weeks ago (just before the noise changed) and no brakes issue was picked up, and haven’t been in the past either. It also brakes fine, just concerned about the noise.

Is there any point at getting it looked at if it brakes fine and didn’t come up in the MOT?

Many thanks for anyone who replies I can give further info if required.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
maverickdave04/02/2020 09:51

Take it to Kwikfit for a free brake check. I booked one online recently, …Take it to Kwikfit for a free brake check. I booked one online recently, no hard sell to get any work done after the free check. Mine were noisy after changing discs and pad.s I had put one of the pads in back to front, ouch!

Take it to a reputable garage. Not somewhere that incentivises ripping of the public.
Get it checked out. Brakes aren’t the kind of thing you take gambles on. It might turn out to be nothing, but why take the risk.
63 Comments
Did you ask the MOT centre about the noise? As long as you got the MOT done from a reliable place, it should be ok.
mas12304/02/2020 01:58

Did you ask the MOT centre about the noise? As long as you got the MOT …Did you ask the MOT centre about the noise? As long as you got the MOT done from a reliable place, it should be ok.

Exactly this. I was gonna state that your brake pads were too low but as above, if they weren't mentioned on the mot report, I wouldn't worry about it.

*I am not a mechanic *
Something similar to me.

Brakes squeak when braking slowly especially on a bit of an incline or decline.

Took it to Kwik fit for a brake check. They said all pads were nearly new and not the cause. All brake fluids were fully topped up.

The only thing they noted was very slightly marked brake discs caused by car sitting in the car dealers forecourt for about 4-5 weeks before I bought it
Get it checked out. Brakes aren’t the kind of thing you take gambles on. It might turn out to be nothing, but why take the risk.
Brake pads should have brake grease on the back very slightly so they don’t squeal on the calliper runners. Did anyone check that? You can’t always get to the back of pads without taking the calliper of the axel and unclipping the pad.
If it's now grinding it's likely the pad is worn. It you don't replace them the worn pad will eventually damage your disc. The MOT checks your brakes stop the car adequately, they can't always check the condition of pads.
Put your question in an email to

letters@honestjohn.co.uk

costs nothing and I find his knowledge answers may motoring questions.
You could have got a small piece of gravel jammed up in there, a score line on the disc should be a dead giveaway
It might be a wear indicator, on some cars it is a thin bit of metal on the pad that scrapes on the disk when the pads are getting low, most of the fast fit garages will do a free brake check
I replaced all pads and discs on my juke and after 2 years it’s making the same noise again, only when my car stops but not other breaking
themorgatron04/02/2020 06:46

The MOT checks your brakes stop the car adequately, they can't always …The MOT checks your brakes stop the car adequately, they can't always check the condition of pads.

What? It literally takes 5 seconds!
Get it checked out.

Could be low friction material, seized caliper (either piston or slider pins), worn disc, etc

MOT is an absolute minimium check. They dont dismantle anything,
Brake pad thickness is an MOT check.

Noise can come from when you haven't driven the car for a few days and surface rust builds up on the discs, this dust grinds until worn away. If it is always present in the wet then I'd suspect quality of, or contamination of, the pad material, pads are not that expensive and swapping to a decent make could be the answer.
If the car breaks making noise, you need a new, quieter car
Pretty sure most cars make a noise when they break.
"I recently bought a car off a family member that I knew had a history of making noises". The car? Or the family member?

P.S. What Verbal.Kint said.
im not a mechanic and know very little but is the high pitch not an alert to indicate brake pads need replacing and the grinding has now begun as the is now brake pad left so it's it's metal on metal?
Squeaking on my car was caused by the alternator belt, stopped making the noise when it snapped off during a journey. Bliss.
Take it to Kwikfit for a free brake check. I booked one online recently, no hard sell to get any work done after the free check. Mine were noisy after changing discs and pad.s I had put one of the pads in back to front, ouch!
Break squeal is commonly down to poor brake pad materials, incorrectly fitted pads, rust, low level warning pins or foreign material between pad and disc.
Grinding could be low pad thickness, poor condition discs due to rust, a seized calliper or calliper slide pin.

The problem is people still think copper grease should still be used on brake pad backs and calliper runs. It actually hampers pad movement and finally seized them up. It should be a high temp silicone grease used instead.

Best bet is get the brakes checked, if no excess wear found. Have the pads cleaned properly with brake cleaner, clean the calliper guides to a bright smooth even finish and refit the pads with silicone grease on the guides and pad rears. If you doubt the pad quality or condition replace with a decent brand, not the cheapest tat you can find.
Remember an mot is a point check "of the day" a snapshot in time, ..did you mention the noise & ask for more info whilst it was on the ramp? ..if not, & it doesn't show unless driven distance then not necessarily down to the garage.

forewarned is forearmed.
maverickdave04/02/2020 09:51

Take it to Kwikfit for a free brake check. I booked one online recently, …Take it to Kwikfit for a free brake check. I booked one online recently, no hard sell to get any work done after the free check. Mine were noisy after changing discs and pad.s I had put one of the pads in back to front, ouch!

Take it to a reputable garage. Not somewhere that incentivises ripping of the public.
Probably worn brake pads, The squealing might be down to the metal wear indicators that some brake pads have and they've probably now worn down to the metal hence why now they're grinding.

Other things like a lack of grease, seized piston, worn/grooved discs, seized slider/s poor quality brake pads etc.. excessive brake dust, Contamination i,e grease or oil on discs etc.. Could be numerous things.

People don't rely on a bloody MOT test as a safety measure, Take some responsibility and check your car is safe ffs. Check the tires and make sure your brakes are in optimal condition etc.. The amount of lethal deathtraps we have on our roads is unreal. Just because it passes an MOT it doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. Not exactly hard to check the brake pads etc..

Brake pads cost peanuts and are relatively cheap, cheaper still if you fit them yourself.
Thanks for the replies all. I wanted to get it checked but other family members said there was no point, and as being clueless with cars I thought I’d ask here.

In regards to the MOT, it had one before I got it so I didn’t get to ask that.

Not sure if I have a kwikfit near me but I’ll have a look. I have a Halfords near me but I’ve been told they’re overpriced. Either way I’ll get it looked at.

Many thanks again
Booked it in to get looked at at Halfords. They think it just needs cleaning out but if it needs break pads changing then they said it would cost between £150-£160 for either set of them. Is this kind of price normal? It’s an ‘08 plate KA.
MadeDixonsCry04/02/2020 07:44

What? It literally takes 5 seconds!

Assuming you can see the brake pads. There's often a wheel in the way.
Mechtup04/02/2020 13:11

Booked it in to get looked at at Halfords. They think it just needs …Booked it in to get looked at at Halfords. They think it just needs cleaning out but if it needs break pads changing then they said it would cost between £150-£160 for either set of them. Is this kind of price normal? It’s an ‘08 plate KA.

Lol. Do you know why they have Halfrauds as a nickname?
themorgatron04/02/2020 13:54

Assuming you can see the brake pads. There's often a wheel in the way.

No, you can see without even touching the wheel
39833822-iD3mI.jpg
MadeDixonsCry04/02/2020 14:00

No, you can see without even touching the wheel [Image]

Yes, but not every car has that identical wheel.
MadeDixonsCry04/02/2020 13:59

Lol. Do you know why they have Halfrauds as a nickname?

Yep! I haven’t much choice though
One thing none has mentioned (that I can see) is it could be trapped brake dust (for the high pitched squeak anyway). Grind usually suggests something trapped such as a stone or low pads/disc. I always keep a can of something like this: eurocarparts.com/p/t…BwE around for a quick spray to rule out any containment's on the pads or disc.

FYI that Halfords price is high, a local small garage should offer you a better price. I usually do them all myself, pads and discs (good quality), grease, gloves all for less than £50 and an hours time. I suppose all the tools did cost me a few quid over the years still but they pay for themselves!
Mechtup04/02/2020 13:11

Booked it in to get looked at at Halfords. They think it just needs …Booked it in to get looked at at Halfords. They think it just needs cleaning out but if it needs break pads changing then they said it would cost between £150-£160 for either set of them. Is this kind of price normal? It’s an ‘08 plate KA.

A set of pads is £30 for a resonable pair. Do it yourself and save the money. If you dont know how to do it yourself buy the Haynes manual and you're still £90 better off.
Mechtup04/02/2020 11:54

Thanks for the replies all. I wanted to get it checked but other family …Thanks for the replies all. I wanted to get it checked but other family members said there was no point, and as being clueless with cars I thought I’d ask here.In regards to the MOT, it had one before I got it so I didn’t get to ask that.Not sure if I have a kwikfit near me but I’ll have a look. I have a Halfords near me but I’ve been told they’re overpriced. Either way I’ll get it looked at.Many thanks again

At the MOT they will pay strict attention to the condition of the braking system including hoses pads and cracks and uneven rear on the rotors, as well as conduct brake efficiency tests. However what has to be appreciated that all that inspection only is valid at the time of the test, as soon as you drive away factors change.
It is odd that the noise continues to appear only in the wet and the description you gave is indicative of metal on metal but you would get that in the wet and dry, more pronounced in the dry as the effective of water would give a cooling/lubricating effect and change the noise.
If you want my pennies worth do yourself a favour and keep well away from the likes of Kwik-Fit.
Your brakes are the difference between you and something unpleasant so if you are not mechanically minded then find a local garage that someone you know can recommend and get them to give your car the once over.
froggofrankie04/02/2020 14:47

A set of pads is £30 for a resonable pair. Do it yourself and save the …A set of pads is £30 for a resonable pair. Do it yourself and save the money. If you dont know how to do it yourself buy the Haynes manual and you're still £90 better off.

My last set of front brake pads were £230 but managed to get them down to £130 with codes
Edited by: "Toon_army" 4th Feb
Verbal.Kint04/02/2020 14:59

At the MOT they will pay strict attention to the condition of the braking …At the MOT they will pay strict attention to the condition of the braking system including hoses pads and cracks and uneven rear on the rotors, as well as conduct brake efficiency tests. However what has to be appreciated that all that inspection only is valid at the time of the test, as soon as you drive away factors change.It is odd that the noise continues to appear only in the wet and the description you gave is indicative of metal on metal but you would get that in the wet and dry, more pronounced in the dry as the effective of water would give a cooling/lubricating effect and change the noise.If you want my pennies worth do yourself a favour and keep well away from the likes of Kwik-Fit.Your brakes are the difference between you and something unpleasant so if you are not mechanically minded then find a local garage that someone you know can recommend and get them to give your car the once over.

I might check out prices at my local college because they have a garage there where they do that kind of thing and they’re known for not charging the Earth (the cost Halfords is wanting to charge is more than what I actually paid for the car!)

Obviously I don’t want to endanger anyone by leaving them so I’ll definitely get them fixed if they need it.
deleted2100705
If you have left the car in the rain for a while ( unless you have a garage) or hasnt been driven much , the discs may have gathered some residue on them, im no pro so dont know the exact name for it, i have the same problem and when i checked the discs there was this yellowish stuff, was told to drive on a not so busy road and do some harsh breaking eg: slam your breaks, this will clear anything that may have gathered up inside the pads or discs.. obviously do this while there are no cars around lol
Edited by: "deleted2100705" 4th Feb
deleted210070504/02/2020 15:22

If you have left the car in the rain for a while ( unless you have a …If you have left the car in the rain for a while ( unless you have a garage) or hasnt been driven much , the discs may have gathered some residue on them, im no pro so dont know the exact name for it, i have the same problem and when i checked the discs there was this yellowish stuff, was told to drive on a not so busy road and do some harsh breaking eg: slam your breaks, this will clear anything that may have gathered up inside the pads or discs.. obviously do this while there are no cars around lol

It's just surface rust the discs are iron so will gather some quite easily but not seriously after only a few days. I discussed it in an earlier post. If the rust is really heavy then no amount of heavy braking will clear it, time for taking them off and some elbow grease.
Mechtup04/02/2020 15:11

I might check out prices at my local college because they have a garage …I might check out prices at my local college because they have a garage there where they do that kind of thing and they’re known for not charging the Earth (the cost Halfords is wanting to charge is more than what I actually paid for the car!)Obviously I don’t want to endanger anyone by leaving them so I’ll definitely get them fixed if they need it.

I'd say that's a good idea, just hope that college is better than mine where a couple of the lecturers let trainees loose without checking the work after. That's a whole story that ruined my car.
As well as the price check their policy on solving issues and what insurance you are covered by.
Edited by: "Verbal.Kint" 4th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants