Groups

Car buying (legal) help (3rd car thread from myself)

As my missus car has died, wen went out on sunday and bought a 06 Mitsubishi Colt from a main dealer. Before committing to buy I noticed a few scratches in the body work and a chip in the windscreen.
    They have removed the scratches but the chip in the windscreen remains and they want me to claim on my insurance (they'll pay the £75 window excess). The windscreen needs replacing due to the location of the chip. I'm arguing that they should sort it out but they are adamant that I make the claim. I'm yet to pick up the car but I am insured on it as I transferred my existing insurance from old to new cars. I've only paid a £100 deposit on it and was to pay the balance tonight when I picked it up (which I didn't because of the windscreen trouble). I'm at work tomorrow so can't pick it up and it's up to the missus. I've told her to take our insurance policy showing the £75 excess charge and ask for it to be removed from the balance outstanding (as I don't want to wait weeks for a cheque). She's worried now that we are causing them bother and they may refund our deposit and put the car back on sale, can they do this? Also surely what they are asking me to do is some sort of fraud as the damage never happened when the car belonged to me.

Sorry for the long post, any advice appreciated.

29 Comments

Even if you have a depoist on the car... they can sell the car to someone else and just refund you the depoist.

Its not the right thing to do, but they can legally do that.

The reason they want you to claim on your insurance is due to it not affecting your NCD for windscreen and that will be cheaper than them paying the cost for a new screen.

Get them to sort it before picking the car up... worst case... buy it.. then do the chip at a later date.

I would tell them to get it sorted!! Sounds like a joke to me.

Banned

personally id tell them to sort it or youll look elsewhere and i wouldnt be sending the mrs unless youve sorted it tbh

Original Poster

RickT

Even if you have a depoist on the car... they can sell the car to someone … Even if you have a depoist on the car... they can sell the car to someone else and just refund you the depoist.Its not the right thing to do, but they can legally do that.The reason they want you to claim on your insurance is due to it not affecting your NCD for windscreen and that will be cheaper than them paying the cost for a new screen.Get them to sort it before picking the car up... worst case... buy it.. then do the chip at a later date.

I've tried to get them to sort it, I was meant to pick the car up tonight but have been arguing with them over this. My missus is bothered about not getting the car as she's fell in love with it.

Original Poster

casparwhite

personally id tell them to sort it or youll look elsewhere and i wouldnt … personally id tell them to sort it or youll look elsewhere and i wouldnt be sending the mrs unless youve sorted it tbh

My old man is going with her in the morning. I'm ready to walk away from the car but she really wants it. Women!

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

My old man is going with her in the morning. I'm ready to walk away from … My old man is going with her in the morning. I'm ready to walk away from the car but she really wants it. Women!

dont tell me you or rather she has let the salesmen see her emotions.......

id find another similar, its a buyers market mate

is it really that rare and such a good price?

Original Poster

casparwhite

dont tell me you or rather she has let the salesmen see her … dont tell me you or rather she has let the salesmen see her emotions.......id find another similar, its a buyers market mate is it really that rare and such a good price?

Good price yes, rare no. This is the car she has to have. I was ready to walk away from it today. I'm paying th balance by debit card just so they get hit with the card transaction fee (small I know) but they wouldn't knock anything of for cash. Car salesman are stubborn these days.

Banned

if she has to have it....what choice do you have?

sounds like the salesman have you by the balls

Original Poster

casparwhite

if she has to have it....what choice do you have? sounds like the … if she has to have it....what choice do you have? sounds like the salesman have you by the balls

Looks that way. You'd expect this from a dodgy back street garage but not a massive main dealer.

Paddy_o_furniture

Good price yes, rare no. This is the car she has to have. I was ready … Good price yes, rare no. This is the car she has to have. I was ready to walk away from it today. I'm paying th balance by debit card just so they get hit with the card transaction fee (small I know) but they wouldn't knock anything of for cash. Car salesman are stubborn these days.

dammit, pay by tesco credit card and get the clubcard points lol then u can get the credit card company to sort out the chip.
    whilst it may not affect your no claims most insurance comanpies still clout you with the "any claims" in last five years bollix

Original Poster

maddogb

dammit, pay by tesco credit card and get the clubcard points lol then u … dammit, pay by tesco credit card and get the clubcard points lol then u can get the credit card company to sort out the chip.whilst it may not affect your no claims most insurance comanpies still clout you with the "any claims" in last five years bollix

Never thought about that. You sure about that?

Paddy_o_furniture

Never thought about that. You sure about that?

I made a claim because someone went into the back of me just over a year ago. It didn't affect my no claims and was only a relatively small repair.

Then I switched insurance providers. I didn't tell them about the above claim because I thought it wouldn't affect anything.

Then I sent through my proof of no claims.. upon discovering the above claim, they whacked £100 on my premium!

Why? Because whether or not it affects your no claims, *any* claim matters!!!
    Edited by: "baconsandwich" 23rd Feb 2011

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

Looks that way. You'd expect this from a dodgy back street garage but … Looks that way. You'd expect this from a dodgy back street garage but not a massive main dealer.

most the main dealers are franchises anyway these days arent they?

Banned

baconsandwich

I made a claim because someone went into the back of me just over a year … I made a claim because someone went into the back of me just over a year ago. It didn't affect my no claims and was only a relatively small repair.Then I switched insurance providers. I didn't tell them about the above claim because I thought it wouldn't affect anything.Then I sent through my proof of no claims.. upon discovering the above claim, they whacked £100 on my premium!Why? Because whether or not it affects your no claims, *any* claim matters!!!

a claim doesnt necessarily affect your no claims discount but yes any claim will affect your premium as you have to declare it and you will be classed a risk.

As well as committing fraud.

they are asking you to commit fraud..i would report this to a superior or head office.

My fear would be if this is their attitude with a small chip, what happens if you drive of the lot and something quite onerous happens? I would not be expecting good customer service, get back your deposit and walk away.

I bought a car from a main dealer, it had a crack in the paint I didnt notice till I had driven it off the forecourt. Rang them a couple of days later and they resprayed it, had to do the whole door due to where the crack was, the smartpaint guy couldnt cover it, at a cost to them, but they did it any way, no questions asked, no "claim your insurance", they also resprayed a bit where I had knocked my own wingmirror off my gate (which I freely admitted to) out of kindness. They also replaced an alloy wheel at no cost to me. Cost them about £500 all in (apparently they dont get "mates rates" with the respray guys) but they did it, and didnt try to take the mick cos I was a girl.

You are having the proverbial ripped right out of you in my eyes, get them to fix the windscreen, they just dont want to have to pay full whack for it, because it comes out of profits they make on the car.

What dealer was it (Ford, Vauxhall etc)??

Banned

So your paying a main dealer price, for curb side autos service. Just proves the point that main dealers are not worthy of the High regard that some hold them in.

Your being treated like mugs now....god forbid you don't have a serious issue later on.

op what happened?

Banned

Not called Arnold Shark for nothing. Glass claims generally don't affect your no claims so technically you aren't losing but I'd read your policy first

Original Poster

plumberman01

op what happened?

Stood my ground, was ready to walk away when suddenly they backed down. Autoglass fitted new screen today (they paid).

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

Stood my ground, was ready to walk away when suddenly they backed down. … Stood my ground, was ready to walk away when suddenly they backed down. Autoglass fitted new screen today (they paid).

I would now find out who is the area manager for the dealership and explain the "insurance gate" and as if this is normal practice ?

Original Poster

dog_cop

I would now find out who is the area manager for the dealership and … I would now find out who is the area manager for the dealership and explain the "insurance gate" and as if this is normal practice ?

I fired off an email to head office last night asking if this was normal practice. Got the car now (missus happy) so not bothered about rocking the boat

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

I fired off an email to head office last night asking if this was normal … I fired off an email to head office last night asking if this was normal practice. Got the car now (missus happy) so not bothered about rocking the boat

I would rock the boat big time as this is well sharp practice plus .. nice to get some "free extras"

good for you! i would def persue the mad suggestion they made..i wonder how often they do this?

definitely seek more, could get some nice freebie or good will gesture. If you dont ask you dont get :P

Original Poster

golemsmate

definitely seek more, could get some nice freebie or good will gesture. … definitely seek more, could get some nice freebie or good will gesture. If you dont ask you dont get :P

Had a phone call earlier, been upgraded to the best warranty (2 year) plus serving and MOT for 2 years (excludes wear and tear)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1344
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047105
      3. word association Game73944484
      4. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …25102

See more discussions