Groups

Car Buying Question

I think i already know the answer to this but will double check on the off chance!

I couldn't find my V5 Logbook for my car, so went to the DVLA office and they posted the relevant forms off, this was last week. Anyway, the issue is that i'm planning on part exchanging my car, and was hoping to do this tomorrow. The V5 hasn't arrived yet, so I called the DVLA just now. They said its all been processed and was sent today, 2nd class.

I'm assuming the dealer that i'm p/x'ing with is gonna tell me to do one without it, right? I wanted the car for the weekend as i'm off on a weekend break, would be perfect!

8 Comments

Yes I doubt they will take the car without the log book - it proves you own it, and then they get the motor trader part to prove that its theirs.

The Car People took my car without it a couple of months ago as long as I left my remaining tax disc in it.

My car was a 51 Clio, get the feeling it was going straight to auction, so I guess it depends on how old yours is and how they're planning on selling it.

The trader can apply for one if they want when they buy it, but its hassle for them and takes more time/money - you may get it tomorrow or within next few days. You could always just go to garage or call them and ask them and explain the situation

I nearly bought a car without, legally speaking you can't sell with out it.

Original Poster

I'll see what the dealer says I guess!

bargainhunter2009;5455606

it proves you own it

It proves you're the registered keeper, nothing more, nothing less. The car could be owned by anyone.

Shengis;5457258

It proves you're the registered keeper, nothing more, nothing less. The … It proves you're the registered keeper, nothing more, nothing less. The car could be owned by anyone.

well yes, thats the same though isnt it? If your not the registered keeper you dont own the car

bargainhunter2009;5458290

well yes, thats the same though isnt it? If your not the registered … well yes, thats the same though isnt it? If your not the registered keeper you dont own the car

It's not the same at all. If you have a car on finance you probably have the V5 but you don't own the car, the finance company does.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767117
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1730
      3. TechInTheBasket?34
      4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710946

See more discussions