Car crash!

Posted 28th Jul
3514244-Kz12c.jpg
I was down this road! A car came from this junction and turned right. There was a queue of traffic and a lorry where tree side is. So he emerged from behind a lorry, clearly no visibility to his left.

I ended up hitting him. He would only give me his number and when I messaged for details he denied he was in a crash. When I sent a message of his number plate he changed to " this is my missus phone blah blah"

Think I'm going to get messed about with the insurance 😡

Realistically who is liable? Just wondering, just seems a right mess about at the minute.

No witnesses, first time in this situation and I was shook up

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
OP, again from past experience, if theres any doubt in details or anything, 99% of the time it will go 50/50 - just because the insurance companies are complete b***** and its not in their interest to conduct a more thorough investigation (they already have your money, why should they be bothered?)
I hate how the law forces drivers to have insurance but theres very few legal rulings on how insurance must operate, which is why they pretty much make the rules up themselves. The only law is you must give these theiving so-and-sos money if you want to drive a car on the road.
Police.
59 Comments
"I ended up hitting him"
joyf453628/07/2020 10:18

"I ended up hitting him"

He pulled out right behind a lorry and was no anticipating that.
He had no idea what was becoming from his left when he pulled out to go right. With a lorry blocking his view.
Police.
His fault clearly but you should have taken pictures at the scene.
having said that from. the damage to both cars it would appear to support your case.
I would call the police and inform them about the incident. chances are he wasn't insured but his Mrs was, hence its my mrs phone.
inform your insurance company immediately
No witnesses and there was a queue of traffic? Sounds to me like there were plenty of witnesses.
@Jay080286 I hope your ok now it can be unsettling after an accident even if you aren't injured.

To minimise the stress to yourself I would contact your insurance explain what happened and give them the details you have for the other driver registration and phone number and explain he was been uncooperative and let them deal with it.
psychobitchfromhell28/07/2020 10:28

No witnesses and there was a queue of traffic? Sounds to me like there …No witnesses and there was a queue of traffic? Sounds to me like there were plenty of witnesses.

Going off past experience, witnesses arent exactly forthcoming with their details. Sure, they love to slow down to rubberneck but not provide their details as its just hassle for them with no gain.
OP, again from past experience, if theres any doubt in details or anything, 99% of the time it will go 50/50 - just because the insurance companies are complete b***** and its not in their interest to conduct a more thorough investigation (they already have your money, why should they be bothered?)
I hate how the law forces drivers to have insurance but theres very few legal rulings on how insurance must operate, which is why they pretty much make the rules up themselves. The only law is you must give these theiving so-and-sos money if you want to drive a car on the road.
Oh finally - get yourself a dashcam ffs. Absolutely no reason not to have a dashcam now, they are so cheap to buy and can help in an accident to prove liability.
118luke28/07/2020 10:35

Going off past experience, witnesses arent exactly forthcoming with their …Going off past experience, witnesses arent exactly forthcoming with their details. Sure, they love to slow down to rubberneck but not provide their details as its just hassle for them with no gain.

Very true. Similar thing happened to My husband many years ago.only witness saw nothing but you have to ask as some may be nice people. Car in question was deemed a write off yet the chap was still driving it round(without tax) eight months later. Insurance company were not interested.
deleted231690928/07/2020 10:43

Comment deleted

Same here only cost about £30 and is super clear footage, its already paid for itself several times over as I caught an incident that newspapers and TV took up on and has been on a couple of those car crash type TV shows and online newspapers. Made me a few hundred so far and every now and then I get a message saying another payment is on its way from Newsflare who handle the sales for rights for me.
harlzter28/07/2020 11:00

Same here only cost about £30 and is super clear footage, its already paid …Same here only cost about £30 and is super clear footage, its already paid for itself several times over as I caught an incident that newspapers and TV took up on and has been on a couple of those car crash type TV shows and online newspapers. Made me a few hundred so far and every now and then I get a message saying another payment is on its way from Newsflare who handle the sales for rights for me.

Clever move..

I got some footage earlier this week of a seagull who flew right into the windscreen as we drove up Exhibition Road.... will contact You've Been Framed
The other driver is at fault as he is going the flow of traffic. Do you have pictures of the incident/aftermath? Is all you have is his mobile number is contact police easing your concerns and notify insurance.
Edited by: "MrWalle" 28th Jul
samwants2save28/07/2020 11:03

Clever move.. I got some footage earlier this week of a seagull who flew …Clever move.. I got some footage earlier this week of a seagull who flew right into the windscreen as we drove up Exhibition Road.... will contact You've Been Framed

I hit a smaller bird (think it was a blackbird) on a motorbike once, it splattered on the front fairings and the blood splashed my visor, couldn't see a thing had to quickly lift the visor and pull over but at 50mph its quite scary, too ages to strip the front down after I got home from work that evening and remove the remains (I made sure that day I was parked in the shade - had to keep going out and moving the bike as the sun moved).

I would say poor gull but they are a pain in the rear round here (and the nearest coast is 90 miles away) every morning around 2am you can hear the damn things making a row loud enough to wake me. Its always 2.10 to 2.15 they do it for some reason.

The only time during the day we hear them is when bad weather is on its way, was like something out of a horror movie last week, I was under the car on a creeper wiring a trailer socket in when I heard them, rolled out and looked up there must have been hundreds circling overhead I was expecting to get poop bombed. Sure enough about 10 minutes later it was hammering down with rain. It was like a scene from Alfred Hitchcocks "the birds"
+1 for "get a dashcam" comments.
You should notify the police immediately, as he refused to give his name and address as legally required. Can't help but think there'll be a reason for that...
Generally driver emerging from side road at fault as should give way.. when reporting incident be sure to detail how you slowed when approaching junction as you were thinking that visibility of anyone at junction impaired (nice touch to add you were concerned about motorcycles etc) by lorry but that incident unavoidable as other driver drove out at speed. Do not go with they came out of nowhere/ I didn’t see them .. instead you were aware of them and braked but they hit you whilst stationary.. will damage support that?
Edited by: "Jump_Out_Gang" 28th Jul
If the other driver was pulling out of the side turning, 100% their fault, it is their responsibility to ensure it is safe to do so and not cause any vehicles to slow or take avoiding action.

Hopefully you took a picture of both cars, you have their number and the registration plate, make, model so get reporting it asap. If they try and deny it, with no proof or witnesses then they may also try and dump the car, or repair and pretend it never happened etc...

Quite possibly evasive due to no insurance
1. Get a dashcam NOW.
2. Why did you not take pics of the aftermath?
3. Contact the police as the 3rd party is in breach of current laws.
4. See point 1.
And when the police follow it up, that should secure evidence of there being damage to the other car.

Although, to expedite matters and ensure no opportunities are lost, I would probably phone the bloke now, request his name and address otherwise you'll have to call the police. Then drive round there without notice to see if the car is there and take some photos of the location of the damage.
paul_merton28/07/2020 11:51

And when the police follow it up, that should secure evidence of there …And when the police follow it up, that should secure evidence of there being damage to the other car.Although, to expedite matters and ensure no opportunities are lost, I would probably phone the bloke now, request his name and address otherwise you'll have to call the police. Then drive round there without notice to see if the car is there and take some photos of the location of the damage.

+ and then inform the police anyway
OP, reply back with something along the lines of:

"No problem. Will give my dashcam footage clearly showing you as the driver to the police for them to investigate".

Worth trying - he doesn't know you don't have a dash cam right?
Have you checked the cars details on askmid to make sure it’s insured also check on DVLA for mot and tax. It doesn’t prove the driver was insured but will let you see if the car is. Have you his name etc? Do keep us updated.

Same here only cost about £30 and is super clear footage, its already paid …Same here only cost about £30 and is super clear footage, its already paid for itself several times over as I caught an incident that newspapers and TV took up on and has been on a couple of those car crash type TV shows and online newspapers. Made me a few hundred so far and every now and then I get a message saying another payment is on its way from Newsflare who handle the sales for rights for me.

There seems to be a pattern here - you+crashes, let us know what area you are in so we can avoid it
Just a thought.... It's only a narrow road. The driver to see if it was safe to come out would have had to put all the front of the car out into the left to right traffic. How would he/she ever get out otherwise
I don't know if it helps but I was in a similar collision a few years ago and the insurer told me that in all cases, the vehicle entering the main carriageway from a junction is always the responsible party.

I broadsided a car who left it until the last possible moment to pull out of a junction. I can clearly remember the feeling as I type - the "Oh s.xxx, this is going to hurt!" that flashed through my mind just before the crunch. Problem was, I 'braced' in that moment which is the worst thing you can do.

If you saw a queue of traffic then there must have been a few witnesses? Like mine, I had no actual witnesses at the scene but the insurer said it didn't matter, as my first statement explained.

It may be that this person has been in a collision before and knows the golden rule: Never accept liability. Of course, some of us are 'human' and if it was our fault (and we know it) we can't help but apologise but you really aren't supposed to. Everyone's moral yardstick is different eh?

Anyway, I hope you can get a satisfactory outcome and also hope you suffer no long-term trauma from your scare. I take it you are physically ok? No injuries? I hope not.

All the best, Phsy.
Bigfootpete28/07/2020 12:45

There seems to be a pattern here - you+crashes, let us know what area you …There seems to be a pattern here - you+crashes, let us know what area you are in so we can avoid it

Haha I like to think that anyone who has a dashcam in the first place is generally going to be a safer and more aware driver than the average person (apart from those idiots who deliberately speed up when someone pulls out in front of them and seemingly superglue the horn down while screaming "GOT THAT ON DASHCAM!!!! LOL YOUTUBE m8")

Like others on here, I've also had clips of other people's misfortunes used on trashy ITV programmes, but the biggest benefit of having one in terms of £££ was the compensation I got after a garage ripped me off without thinking about the dashcam capturing their incriminating comments! No crashes or bumps at all in 10+ years of using dashcams.
steve.t28/07/2020 13:02

Just a thought.... It's only a narrow road. The driver to see if it was …Just a thought.... It's only a narrow road. The driver to see if it was safe to come out would have had to put all the front of the car out into the left to right traffic. How would he/she ever get out otherwise

Wait...! If in doubt, don't pull out. It's not hard.
Edited by: "StonkwellBogtrotter" 28th Jul

Post it here plz I’d like to see or a YouTube link
StonkwellBogtrotter28/07/2020 13:36

That kinda depends on the situation really,

There are lots of times ive had to pull out to avoid any doubt - can never be too careful

newsflare.com/vid…fic

It is hard....There's an obstruction there... there will always be doubt. Leave the car there, lock it up and walk home I reckon then
paul_merton28/07/2020 11:37

You should notify the police immediately, as he refused to give his name …You should notify the police immediately, as he refused to give his name and address as legally required. Can't help but think there'll be a reason for that...

Theoretically, you should only need to provide the insurance with a registration number and they should be able to get the details. ive heard horror stories about people who have given their name, address and phone number and have either been harassed, threatened etc or had their details used for fraud (common in these staged "whiplash" accidents)
If in doubt, get the police involved.

Just a thought.... It's only a narrow road. The driver to see if it was …Just a thought.... It's only a narrow road. The driver to see if it was safe to come out would have had to put all the front of the car out into the left to right traffic. How would he/she ever get out otherwise

Wern't you taught the peep & creep method?
That has the advantage of even if you cannot see clearly, if you creep forward a tiny bit at a time, the front of your car will be visible to oncoming traffic, so they can avoid/slow down etc. Same for reversing out of parking spaces or driveways (which you should never do btw, but if by mistake the car was driven forwards onto the drive)

I tend to pull out if im in doubt, it can prevent "accidents" too
118luke28/07/2020 15:39

Theoretically, you should only need to provide the insurance with a …Theoretically, you should only need to provide the insurance with a registration number and they should be able to get the details. ive heard horror stories about people who have given their name, address and phone number and have either been harassed, threatened etc or had their details used for fraud (common in these staged "whiplash" accidents) If in doubt, get the police involved.

I don't think OP has said when it happened, but worth noting:

You have to give your name and address, the vehicle owner's name and address and your vehicle's registration number to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for those details

If you don't give your name and address, you must report the accident at a police station or to a police constable as soon as you can, and in any case within 24 hours (this does not mean you have 24 hours in which to report the accident). If you fail to stop, fail to give your and the owner's name and address or the vehicle's details or fail to report the accident, you commit an offence.
MrWalle28/07/2020 12:23

Have you checked the cars details on askmid to make sure it’s insured also …Have you checked the cars details on askmid to make sure it’s insured also check on DVLA for mot and tax. It doesn’t prove the driver was insured but will let you see if the car is. Have you his name etc? Do keep us updated.

Yes, the car is insured. And I had a "spam" call earlier, saying the chap as called his insurance today, saying what happened! They said it would defo be his fault, so hopefully everything goes smooth! But my Insurance put me through to Auxillis and they dealing with it :/

Happened yesterday btw!

Its the fact a lorry was on his left when he came out to turn right. So he had no view whatsoever of anything going left to right because of the lorry.
HappyShopper28/07/2020 15:06

https://www.newsflare.com/video/295427/crime-accidents/uk-learner-driver-takes-a-wrong-turn-into-oncoming-traffic

Thats the one, its compressed the daily fail errm mail has a better version. dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text