car crash in Mcdonalds drive through

Found 16th Feb 2015
hi all, a car crashed into the back of me in mcdonalds drive through off all places and when i asked the staff they were unsure as to what they could do regarding the cctv. It could prove essential if the third party doesn't accept liability which they should hopefully do. has anyone had any experience with this situation before.how easy/difficult is it to get access to the footage?

cheers
Community Updates
AskCar
14 Comments
Hello! Your insurance company should be able to help. If you are on CCTV then legally you are entiled to a copy of the video collected. If you google around you will see the legislation covering this. You need to provide details of yourself so they can find you/your car and they can charge you up to I think £35. Obviously you just claim that back via insurance.

Personally, and running a fleet I would not normally bother to get myself. If you contact the insurance company right away, tell them about the CCTV. Make sure it goes on the record that you have told them they will help you or get the copy for you.

If they don't it was recorded that you knew of CCTV and take that to ombudsman for financial compensation if your insurance company does not give you a decent amount in lieu of taking action

Here is info for you: gov.uk/req…elf
Edited by: "groenleader" 16th Feb 2015
hi, yep had a similar situation in a car wash last year, if you are on CCTV anywhere you have a legal right to obtain a copy and they can only charge a maximum of £10 for it.
Only exception is if it is being investigated by the police, then you are not allowed.
Was there any injuries? Which area are you from? Saw one this morning at a Mackies drive through? Did you exchange details? Usually if the third party crashed into you from behind its hard for them to be not at fault! If there is usually injury the police will investigate it
Usually companies will only release cctv direct to police or insurers. However they may not release to your insurers unless there property was damaged. Be quick though as most cctv is overwritten after 30 days depending on the number of cameras. In your case though as the car ran into the back of you they were obviously too close
We had the same thing outside of the post office. The lady was nice but she was only able to release the footage to the police. If you tell the insurance company about it and the fail to inquire then you'll get the benefit of the doubt.
Happened to my sis in law in a car park. They said they couldn't release the cctv to her, only the police or insurance company. Has the person admitted liability? Do you gave a witness? I wouldn't worry too much as you were hit from behind.
Guys, if someone says to you about CCTV that they can only release to police or insurers that is a lie! You can walk past there everyday and everyday request a copy of the CCTV footage containing you.

I would use your insurers, its easier and if they don't get the CCTV then you have comeback if the claim goes against you.

As stated in my link unless the police are involved and they get the CCTV footage (which they might not!) then you are entitled to it if it exists.
groenleader

Guys, if someone says to you about CCTV that they can only release to … Guys, if someone says to you about CCTV that they can only release to police or insurers that is a lie!

True, because it is your rights, but that doesn't mean they'll give it to you :p.
MIDURIX

True, because it is your rights, but that doesn't mean they'll give it to … True, because it is your rights, but that doesn't mean they'll give it to you :p.

There is an Ombudsman for that!

Insurance Ombudsman service and I are well aquatinted now X)

The ombudsman service is the backbone of getting things sorted and its one of the most amazing parts of this country!
Ombudsman, they are wonderful. They helped me get some money back from some rougue estate agents!
let your insurer know that cctv may be available but i doubt if this will be needed as it is possible to ascertain from the impact marks that someone drove into someone else from behind. the guy will also know not to lie as he is on cctv.
thanks for all your replies, the manager of mcdonalds got back to me and said you cant see the incident on the cameras as its it the blind spot which i dont quite believe as one camera was clear pointing at the area in question. i told my insurers about cctv may be available but ill have to tell them to chase it up i think.hope i dont get screwed over as i got hit from behind before and got done over because the other party forged a witness.
Should have gone to Gregs!! X)

Comment

jonherb

thanks for all your replies, the manager of mcdonalds got back to me and … thanks for all your replies, the manager of mcdonalds got back to me and said you cant see the incident on the cameras as its it the blind spot which i dont quite believe as one camera was clear pointing at the area in question. i told my insurers about cctv may be available but ill have to tell them to chase it up i think.hope i dont get screwed over as i got hit from behind before and got done over because the other party forged a witness.

Easy to say with hindsight but it's recommended to take plenty pics or video with your phone right away. Then no issues with driver maybe swapping with passenger , pop up witness etc
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants