Car Damage

Posted 19th Jan
Hi there

I was hoping some people could advise. I just scraped my Hyundai i30 along a big boulder and it’s dented and scraped this plastic part.

It’s a lease. This plastic part part of it has a texture to it that’s rough so worried this will all need replaced. Is this likely to be a crazy sum of money to repair?

Advice is appreciated. I am so annoyed with myself.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Looks like you rolled the car too, is the roof damaged?
Looks like your in Australia, so maybe try someone more local to you.
46 Comments
Pics?
First of all, accidents happen, don’t beat your self up. It’s only plastic at the end of the day. Be thankful that’s all it was.

Now, on to the damage and repair/replacement. If the damage is easily noticeable you will you more than likely have to replace the part. I don’t see much hope of of repairing textured plastic. It’s hard to know without seeing pictures how much this will cost, but I would imagine you would be able to pick up a replacement part from a salvage yard/gumtree/eBay for not too much money.

Hope that helps, don’t let it spoil your day
39712193-7t94O.jpg
Looks like the sill which won’t be plastic
Cheap enough I imagine tho - fill n spray - few hundred quid?
It really isn't that bad. £300/£350
If lease company not happy with repair, if it's not to their "standard" expect to be charged again to fix it
I had the same thing happen to me when I was driving at midnight and didn't notice the huge bell shaped bollard. I scraped the exact area as you and also the bottom part of the door for BOTH doors.
It cost me £280.

As it's not even one door, I would say it would cost you lesser than £140.
I did mine at A1 Bodyshop Ltd, Unit 80 Barking Industrial park, Barking, IG11 0TJ
Edited by: "zworld" 19th Jan
It’s scraped and badly dented though?
shnp19/01/2020 12:34

It’s scraped and badly dented though?

Mine was too.
39712477-Gqbvq.jpg39712477-oJUFc.jpg
Pop over to these guys and show it to them.
As above, the sill is damaged and that isn’t plastic. On the plus side, once repaired it is more or less out of direct eyeline. I’m not sure how much that would cost to repair, but you may get away with not being too fussy about it.
DEALS4EVA19/01/2020 12:52

As above, the sill is damaged and that isn’t plastic. On the plus side, o …As above, the sill is damaged and that isn’t plastic. On the plus side, once repaired it is more or less out of direct eyeline. I’m not sure how much that would cost to repair, but you may get away with not being too fussy about it.

The bottom of it has this rough texture, I don’t know if you can notice it from the pictures. Would a new sill be very expensive?
shnp19/01/2020 12:53

The bottom of it has this rough texture, I don’t know if you can notice it …The bottom of it has this rough texture, I don’t know if you can notice it from the pictures. Would a new sill be very expensive?

Yes I would imagine a new sill would be expensive, which would involve cutting and welding and painting. I think you may get away with a cheaper repair, but you will have to take it to a body shop to have a professional look at it. Explain your situation, get a few quotes and go from there.
39712702-Ju88Q.jpg39712702-EJgX7.jpg39712702-bZOIc.jpg39712702-Rj6Rz.jpg39712702-BT34m.jpgSome more pictures for detail.
39712704-Ju88Q.jpg39712704-EJgX7.jpg39712704-bZOIc.jpg39712704-Rj6Rz.jpg39712704-BT34m.jpgSome more pictures for detail.
OP, have you seen my comment ? Just go round. I had the exact same damage and they repaired it so well that it looks good as new!
Alloy reapir might have to be a at a separate place.
shnp19/01/2020 13:08

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] Some more pictures for detail.

No pictures
That’ll be an easy repair for a body shop. They’ll use some weld on studs a sliding hammer a little filler & a paint. Shop around for a few quotes. The textured part is stone chip coating. Ask friends family work colleagues for recommendations of local repairers cheapest isn’t always best.
Edited by: "MrWalle" 19th Jan
Ouch! That's really not good. The "rough texture" is stone chip protection. Sorry to say but you will have to contact the lease company and bite the bullet on this one - if you do the 'right thing' of course. It's pointless trying to "sugar coat" it but that's not a cheap fix, what with the wheel and valence too...
zworld19/01/2020 13:20

OP, have you seen my comment ? Juts go round. I had the exact same damage …OP, have you seen my comment ? Juts go round. I had the exact same damage and they repaired it so well that it looks good as new!Alloy reapir might have to be a at a separate place.

You didn’t put anything in your other comment
airfix19/01/2020 12:42

My fave comment so far this year, congrats
Hi everyone,

Sorry, I was trying to send pictures using my iPhone earlier and it was problematic. I don't know why everything above is upside-down!

I am home now. Here are some pictures showing more detail. My insurance is with Aviva (premium cover, £250 excess). I have 12 years no claims. Can you claim insurance on an incident like this?

The lease finishes in April and is with Hyundai.

39713386-07JQ1.jpg
39713386-EX3Pb.jpg
39713386-vHyOH.jpg
39713386-3cJYq.jpg
39713386-nDi20.jpg
I had the same thing happen to me when I was driving at midnight and didn't notice the huge bell shaped bollard. I scraped the exact area as you and also the bottom part of BOTH doors.
It cost me £280.

As it's not even one door in your case, I would say it would cost you lesser than £140.
I did mine at A1 Bodyshop Ltd, Unit 80 Barking Industrial park, Barking, IG11 0TJ
zworld19/01/2020 15:05

I had the same thing happen to me when I was driving at midnight and …I had the same thing happen to me when I was driving at midnight and didn't notice the huge bell shaped bollard. I scraped the exact area as you and also the bottom part of BOTH doors.It cost me £280.As it's not even one door in your case, I would say it would cost you lesser than £140.I did mine at A1 Bodyshop Ltd, Unit 80 Barking Industrial park, Barking, IG11 0TJ

Thank you. I am in Scotland so that'll be too far away. Did they get the textured bit back?
shnp19/01/2020 15:08

Thank you. I am in Scotland so that'll be too far away. Did they get the …Thank you. I am in Scotland so that'll be too far away. Did they get the textured bit back?

I don't have a textured bit on my car. Call up a few local bodyshops like others suggested
richp19/01/2020 13:52

shnp19/01/2020 15:08

Thank you. I am in Scotland so that'll be too far away. Did they get the …Thank you. I am in Scotland so that'll be too far away. Did they get the textured bit back?

Where in Scotland as members maybe able to advise on repairers. If you went through insurance it would be a claim and you’d need to pay your excess. Get some prices for repair before deciding personally I’d avoid the insurance route and pay repairs yourself.
As has been said the textured bit is a spray on corrosion protection - that is to your advantage because it will help cover a non-perfect repair.

Get some quotes - I think the £150 brigade are underestimating but I'd not expect that to be too bad.
Thanks guys I will get on repair quotes next week and keep you informed. I can always count on HUKD members to give honest, sound advice.
Was quoted £400 not including getting the wheel fixed, which I estimate at £60. The gentleman said it would be good as new.
shnp21/01/2020 19:16

Was quoted £400 not including getting the wheel fixed, which I estimate at …Was quoted £400 not including getting the wheel fixed, which I estimate at £60. The gentleman said it would be good as new.

Nice to see an update, shnp. That isn't actually too bad tbh. I worked for a firm who did auto-body repair too and was thinking approx £600 all in. I never said anything regarding the 'lowball' quotes people were saying as I didn't think it was fair to you to give you a false idea. With metalwork AND plastic body repair, it was never going to be THAT low...

I take it you are going down the route of getting it done WITHOUT informing the lease company then? I can only wish you good luck there and hope it ends well for you. As long as they do a good job in matching the rest of the car, it should be fine. Let's hope so, eh?

Wishing you all the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix22/01/2020 10:44

Nice to see an update, shnp. That isn't actually too bad tbh. I worked for …Nice to see an update, shnp. That isn't actually too bad tbh. I worked for a firm who did auto-body repair too and was thinking approx £600 all in. I never said anything regarding the 'lowball' quotes people were saying as I didn't think it was fair to you to give you a false idea. With metalwork AND plastic body repair, it was never going to be THAT low...I take it you are going down the route of getting it done WITHOUT informing the lease company then? I can only wish you good luck there and hope it ends well for you. As long as they do a good job in matching the rest of the car, it should be fine. Let's hope so, eh?Wishing you all the best, Phsy.

Thank you for your message. That’s appreciated.

I am not going to inform the lease company - hopefully I can get away with it. I said to the gentleman it was a lease and therefore the repair should be unnoticeable.

When the lease car is collected is this when the examination takes place? I can make sure the car is wet and maybe this side is parked up against another car so that light / shadows come in to play. However I am hoping it goes back to normal.

I was told the repair would take three days. Considering my insurance excess is £250 and this is going to come in at £460 in total I think it’s probably the best course?

Stupid boulder!
shnp22/01/2020 14:12

Thank you for your message. That’s appreciated.I am not going to inform t …Thank you for your message. That’s appreciated.I am not going to inform the lease company - hopefully I can get away with it. I said to the gentleman it was a lease and therefore the repair should be unnoticeable.When the lease car is collected is this when the examination takes place? I can make sure the car is wet and maybe this side is parked up against another car so that light / shadows come in to play. However I am hoping it goes back to normal.I was told the repair would take three days. Considering my insurance excess is £250 and this is going to come in at £460 in total I think it’s probably the best course?Stupid boulder!

When lease cars are returned, you can expect that there will be an initial visual inspection in your presence, but that may be followed by a full examination (and costings for any damage noted) once the car reaches their facility. I'm fairly sure that the inspector will be familiar with any 'tricks' that you may have in mind.

See here regarding what is considered "fair wear and tear" (link); your lease company can provide a full copy of the guidelines.
So long as it's repaired to a good standard, They'll not give a dam. It'll be going straight to auction anyway
Keep us posted shnp
I am thinking of just going through insurance...what do you guys think? I have 13 years no claims. If I claim, my excess is £250 and my NCD will drop to 3 years. I’ll get a courtesy car whilst the car is getting fixed and I’ll have piece of mind knowing it’ll be fixed to a good standard.

The repair will cost me £460 if I go it alone and I’ll be without a car for three days.

I have gone on Confused.com and declaring this accident and changing my NCD seems to increase my insurance by around £200. (Going from £25 per month to £45).

I don’t know what the best option is. My insurance will go up £200 but I don’t know if it’ll come down substantially the following year? I’ve never claimed before.

So it’s £460 upfront and no claim or £250 upfront and next year’s insurance will be £20 per month more but I’ll get courtesy car and potentially higher quality repair.

At a cross roads - some help would be appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants