Found 3rd Feb
Hi guys.

I am looking to get front and rear dash cams fitted on my car. After having my car knocked, keyed and now my Mrs one knocked this morning with no note left behind (surprised, not!) I want to get dash cams fitted onto the cars.

Ideally front and rear , with ones that can record when parked or when they sense motion as the main issue is for when nobody is in the car.

All help appreciated!

Thank you

12 Comments

if this is continuous than than the issue is either with where you are parking or whom you have annoyed. you need cctv not a dashcam.

We've just installed this cam in the link below in one of our Mini's and works brilliantly. Great Quality and discreet by the Rear View Mirror;

amazon.co.uk/APE…c=1

Worth the money, we had a cheap £15 cam but too fiddly and quality not reliable. This one is also cheaper than what you will find in the likes of Halfords.

Also hard-wired it into the Fuse Box using the below kit;
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
Edited by: "Randallst" 3rd Feb

I may be wrong but I believe you need the engine running to power the cam, so they won't help you at all

contact the police so you have a record of the incident, and install cctv

no dashcam will work the way you want.
motion sensor dashcams are activated after someone passes the sensor area,
those that continuously record overnight will need massive storage space (32gb gives you around 3hrs in 1080p) and most likely wont handle anything more than 64gb.
also consider quality of the recording at night,
lastly cameras will drain the battery of your car.

here is a good video to give you an idea
techmoan.com/blo…e=2

search blink camera.

I have a koonlung front and rear cameras. the box/monitor for it has a built in battery (go pro battery) and there is a function on it to record while vehicle is off (not sure how long though never used it)

Google koonlung dash cam for the reviews on it and there cheaper on amazon than ebay

thinkware f770 + Cellink b. it's expensive and the video quality isn't absolute top tier due to it being a dual camera system but it'll keep the cameras powered when the car is off and has motion and impact detection.

Street guardian. Got one in one of my cars and will get another one soon for my other car. 3 days of camera recording constantly and no problems with the cars battery at all. Expensive but well worth it.

Pigmejs

Street guardian. Got one in one of my cars and will get another one soon … Street guardian. Got one in one of my cars and will get another one soon for my other car. 3 days of camera recording constantly and no problems with the cars battery at all. Expensive but well worth it.

​if im correct thats just another b40 wedge camera with a higher price tag

PS . why would people recommend dash cams for overnight use ? once the burglar is in the car nothing stops him from taking the camera with him.

mattsokolinski

​if im correct thats just another b40 wedge camera with a higher price t … ​if im correct thats just another b40 wedge camera with a higher price tag PS . why would people recommend dash cams for overnight use ? once the burglar is in the car nothing stops him from taking the camera with him.

​Possibly because most people aren't worried about being broken into but rather the hit and drive off scenarios which they want to catch. who knows your burglar may be an idiot and not realise they're on camera.

Have a look at the " Mini " series. I have one front and rear and they have all of the functions you want. You can hard wire them or use them via usb or cig socket if they are live with the ign off. Left on 24/7 they will drain a reasonable car battery in about 3 days but if you use your car most days that won't be an issue. Video quality is excellent and they are one of the smallest around.

Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate them all.

Just to note I haven't **** anyone off, I keep myself to myself. Unfortunately the world is full of jealousy and Haters. it's not a regular thing but any damage costs more than these cameras and is why I'd like one.

After further looking. I think it would be best to have it hard wired. The car is used most days so the parking mode for hit and runs etc would be handy. Burglary is something you cannot avoid any how.

I've seen Thinkware's F770 for £330 fitted, does that seem good value? I wouldn't want to chance it myself.

Street Guardian also looks good, as does Koonlung . Haven't looked much at the differences.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769297
    2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604801
    3. Coming up to bonfire night ...2130
    4. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608652

See more discussions