Expired

Car dented in car park, insurance claim

Found 3rd Nov 2013
My car got hit on the wing in a carpark by some rogue the other day who didn't leave any details. Its more of a minor scratch/scuff. I have fully comp with 10 years protected no claims. Is it worth claiming? Will I have to pay the £250 quid excess? will I lose my no claims? Or should i contact chipsaway or similar and get it fixed for around £150 ?
Community Updates
AskCarInsurance
16 Comments
Yes you'll have to pay the excess.
No brainer send the £150 I know it hurts but your going to lose more ie £350 plus premium getting put up next year, it don't matter if it's not your fault.ask if any cctv in car park.
Get it fixed by chipsaway, although you wouldn't lose all your no claims it will still result in a premium. Worth a check to see if the car park had cameras. I know a bloke who was in a similar situation and asda managed to find the culprit
In order...

Is it worth claiming? - No

Will I have to pay the £250 quid excess? - Yes

will I lose my no claims? - No (you state it is protected, although for how many claims, most policies have a max number)

Or should i contact chipsaway or similar and get it fixed for around £150 ? - Yes

As another point, even though your no claims bonus won't be lost, you HAVE made a claim and therefore your insurance WILL go up.
As i suspected, unfortunately we are not sure exactly where it happened, the car has been in use all week. Chipsaway it is then, thanks.
Edited by: "Musician" 3rd Nov 2013
Why don't you speak to your insurance company?
bubblegum2910

Why don't you speak to your insurance company?

Yes I will tomorrow anyway, but I think I already know the answer....
my partner clipped our new car sounds the same a scuff but to front bumper not worth claiming we've been quoted 150 for a respray far better than loosing no claims and paying the excess
Musician

Do not what ever you do, if you do not intend to claim, speak to your insurance company. They will log it as an incident and it will effect your next years premium. There has been a fair bit of coverage about this in the press this year.
This happened to me and my car was opposite the CCTV camera. The police looked at the CCTV recording and told me although they could see the incident happen they couldn't quite see the cars number plate that hit me! I paid myself as others have said it is cheaper in the long run
Depends where the dent/scratch is.

If its a door/bumper look into the cost of getting a replacement from a scrap yard, will be a lot cheaper than chips away and no need to inform the insurance company in any way.
As previously stated DO NOT TELL INSURANCE COMPANY!!!!even if you do not claim just talking to insurance company will register as an incident which will increase your premium next time as they illogically see you as a greater risk,you might want to go to your local bodyshop usually cheaper and better job then chipsaway
we saw someone hit a car in a car park. she then phoned someone and drove off. we took the details and left them on the car windscreen, then called the police and gave them the details. now I'm not normally a squealer but driving off is just not good sport. she managed to get them to pay out with little effort especially as someone left the scene after causing damage.
Musician

Do NOT do that !!
Your insurance company will log the call and whether you take it further or not they will bump up the premium. Don't ring them (even for advise).
Yes thx, getting chips away over, will avoid calling ins co.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants