Car diagnostic advice would be much appreciated

Found 27th Feb
Can anyone recommend a cheap diagnostic scanner capable of coding a new abs module on a golf mk4? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Really you need vcds but it’s over £300. There are Chinese copy’s out there for £20 but use at your own risk. Ask around local garages to see if they can do it.
Wadda2 h, 49 m ago

Really you need vcds but it’s over £300. There are Chinese copy’s out ther …Really you need vcds but it’s over £300. There are Chinese copy’s out there for £20 but use at your own risk. Ask around local garages to see if they can do it.

Thanks for the info Wadda have a good day 😊
You can get cheap VCDS but I don't think you'd have the ability to code the ABS module with it unless you pay for the official version and from experience I think the cheap cracked version doesn't support all features. It's great for diagnosing trouble codes but wouldn't trust it to code anything.

Personally for coding stuff it is probably best to get a auto electrician to do it.
.MUFC.2 m ago

You can get cheap VCDS but I don't think you'd have the ability to code …You can get cheap VCDS but I don't think you'd have the ability to code the ABS module with it unless you pay for the official version and from experience I think the cheap cracked version doesn't support all features. It's great for diagnosing trouble codes but wouldn't trust it to code anything.Personally for coding stuff it is probably best to get a auto electrician to do it.

Thanks .MUFC. for the advice 😊
The cheap cracked version of VCDS or Vagcom is still worth it though ;). It's a great aid and can still save you money ;).
Edited by: ".MUFC." 28th Feb
.MUFC.10 m ago

The cheap cracked version of VCDS or Vagcom is still worth it though ;). …The cheap cracked version of VCDS or Vagcom is still worth it though ;). It's a great aid and can still save you money ;).

.MUFC. I take it eBay is the best place to obtain a cracked version? Not that I would ever do such a thing
2017wolf9 m ago

.MUFC. I take it eBay is the best place to obtain a cracked version? Not ….MUFC. I take it eBay is the best place to obtain a cracked version? Not that I would ever do such a thing

Yes, Pretty much, Installing the drivers are a bit hit and miss though, I think if I recall the cracked version Vagcom is more functional than the cracked version of VCDS. They're pretty much the same, Vagcom was the original software.
.MUFC.6 m ago

Yes, Pretty much, Installing the drivers are a bit hit and miss though, I …Yes, Pretty much, Installing the drivers are a bit hit and miss though, I think if I recall the cracked version Vagcom is more functional than the cracked version of VCDS. They're pretty much the same, Vagcom was the original software.

Perfect thank you for your help
eBay always take them off but you can find one on aliexpress but it will take a while to come. You need an old laptop as well
Wadda5 h, 50 m ago

eBay always take them off but you can find one on aliexpress but it will …eBay always take them off but you can find one on aliexpress but it will take a while to come. You need an old laptop as well

You don't need an old laptop. Garages aren't using 90s laptops with serial ports on newish cars anymore. Pretty sure I have one knocking about I could give away for free, saw it the other day and used it on my `13 Audi A1 and '10 A3 Estate. Both sold long ago, so no use.
MIDURIX31 m ago

You don't need an old laptop. Garages aren't using 90s laptops with serial …You don't need an old laptop. Garages aren't using 90s laptops with serial ports on newish cars anymore. Pretty sure I have one knocking about I could give away for free, saw it the other day and used it on my `13 Audi A1 and '10 A3 Estate. Both sold long ago, so no use.

Thanks for the info. Does the cable you have allow you to use the full version of VCDS?
For clarity Vagcom and VCDS works on Windows 10. I think you have to run drivers in compatibility mode/manually select them but they will most likely come with instructions. Most cables on eBay will be the same.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants