Car door scratch - cost for a repaint? Damage compensation

Found 28th Jun 2016
I was at a car dealership getting my car fixed and after the visit I got a phone call informing me that I might have damaged the car door of the car next to mine with a scratch, and they have CCTV to prove. It is a light scratch on the front left car door on the outside. They are quoting me £410.30 for a paint job. Is this a reasonable cost for a paint job for that kind of damage? I don't recall the car next to mine being an expensive car, just a regular hatchback.
Community Updates
AskCarDoor
16 Comments
I don't think the price of the car affects it as such, they will no doubt have priced to respray the whole door not just a repair, and depending how deep the undercoat to. If its a dealer it will be way overpriced, they always are.

I once had mine damaged and they quoted me the same sort of price, i got it repaired from someone else for £50
Ignore it, it's on them to prove it and I fear they may be using the threat of CCTV to get you into paying. Wait until something lands on your doorstop.
on another note though, surely you would know if you had damaged it? i'm guessing you hit their door with yours?
If you dont think you did, they might be trying it on.
WonkyDoctor

Ignore it, it's on them to prove it and I fear they may be using the … Ignore it, it's on them to prove it and I fear they may be using the threat of CCTV to get you into paying. Wait until something lands on your doorstop.

I would be inclined to go with this. They probably wont have any solid proof.

However Im wondering if you realised you did it as you remember the car "not being an expensive one" next to yours...

When I worked at a peugeot garage a customer opened their door onto a 308's wing and cracked it, it was clear on the cctv but we never got them to pay for the damage.

I would say just to deny it until they take it further, which probably eont happen.

Worst case a smart repair can fix these kinds of dings for about £100, so at worst they are being a bit OTT with the cost to repair.
I just want to know if the price they quoted is fair, in the situation where they show me the cctv and could prove it was my fault. I honestly couldn't remember but I'd take responsibility if it's my fault and they could prove it. I remember the car because it's a car dealership, there's a price tag on that car so I had a quick glimpse.
I would suggest you ask for any CCTV footage before taking any blame. I would check it shows there was no damage on the car before hand and then showing damage by your car after. If there was damage I would suggest you contact the owner direct as going through a dealer will most likely work out the most expensive. A fair price would be around £150 to £200. But this is a car dealers.

Edited by: "kash2013" 28th Jun 2016
ftbf444

I just want to know if the price they quoted is fair, in the situation … I just want to know if the price they quoted is fair, in the situation where they show me the cctv and could prove it was my fault. I honestly couldn't remember but I'd take responsibility if it's my fault and they could prove it. I remember the car because it's a car dealership, there's a price tag on that car so I had a quick glimpse.

So it was a vehicle belonging to the dealership? They shold not have the stock in a position to get dinged by customer parking.

Anyhow like I said the price they quoted is ridiculous, unless youve damaged the whole door, a dent and scratch is a smart repair of £100 maybe £150 tops. They are quoting you bodyshop/accident prices.
Actually, sorry after reading your post again it seems like perhaps you hit the other vehicle after moving from the parking space?

If you have done £400 of damage to another vehicle there will be damage on yours too. If you have hit the other car then maybe the price is valid as you never know if you have bent or mis-aligned something...
katchiib

So it was a vehicle belonging to the dealership? They shold not have the … So it was a vehicle belonging to the dealership? They shold not have the stock in a position to get dinged by customer parking.Anyhow like I said the price they quoted is ridiculous, unless youve damaged the whole door, a dent and scratch is a smart repair of £100 maybe £150 tops. They are quoting you bodyshop/accident prices.

Yes she did say it's a quote from the bodyshop. Sorry I don't really know the jargon. Would it be possible to suggest them to get a quote at a different place? Thanks a lot
ftbf444

Yes she did say it's a quote from the bodyshop. Sorry I don't really know … Yes she did say it's a quote from the bodyshop. Sorry I don't really know the jargon. Would it be possible to suggest them to get a quote at a different place? Thanks a lot

Unfortunately you probably wont get very far with that suggestion. And to be honest they are probably doing it at cost, if not make sure they are.

It really does not take much to do hundreds of pounds of damage to cars nowadays.

I remember moving a brand new car on the lot and pushing the wing against another new one at like 2mph. We sold that car but it was eventually bought back by the manufacturer as the bonnet would never stay closed. They put it down to a manufacturer defect but I believe to this day it was cause someting got moved very bad when they were pushed together.
Have you seen the footage where it shows your car causing damage to their car? If not ask to see it before agreeing anything. How do you know it wasn't someone else ,even staff and they're pinning it on you?
Someone dropped something on my tailgate ages ago, there is a tiny dint and the paint has now completely flaked to the metal in places (no rust though). To get it resprayed and dint removed they qoted me about £150 inc vat . It might just have been because I was getting it serviced/mot'd etc. Other people I've spoken to have said about £200 per panel is a fair ish price.
postmang

Have you seen the footage where it shows your car causing damage to their … Have you seen the footage where it shows your car causing damage to their car? If not ask to see it before agreeing anything. How do you know it wasn't someone else ,even staff and they're pinning it on you?

I will ask them to show me the footage when I go back and pick up my car.

I got a phone call informing me that I might have damaged the car door

they don't sound very sure

if they have there own bodyshop then it should be done at cost without any profit imo, thats if you agree to anything
Edited by: "deanos" 28th Jun 2016
surely a light scratch is just a bit of clearcoat?
youtube.com/wat…B2c shows how easy it is for someone that knows what they are doing to fix a fairly bad surface scratch
if more than a light scratch you should have surely thought 'oh crap i just hit that car!'

ask for proof for sure

heck could even have been the garage themselves after you left and trying it on after seeing you open the door close to that car
better check footage afterwards as well
Edited by: "brilly" 28th Jun 2016
Unless you know for sure that you did indeed cause the damage i would tell them to go whistle, i bet if it was the other way around they would'nt be contacting you to admit damaging your car.
Just to reiterate this is if you certain you did'nt cause the damage, as because the way you worded your question you seem to think that you may in fact be responsible.
Even if they have cctv of you being near the car it does'nt proove that there was no damage on the car before you parked there.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 28th Jun 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants