Expired

Car engine causing interference with the FM radio - any ideas ?

Found 5th Jan 2014
My car engine interferes with the FM radio and I get a crackling noise whilst the engine is running. Turn off the engine and it is fine.
Is there something I can connect to the aerial lead to reduce or stop the interference. Some kind of suppressor ?
Community Updates
AskCarRadio
13 Comments
Are you using amplifiers etc? Anyway I am sure it is something to do with the radio ground.
bad earth connection. you can by a supresser from any car audio shop for 3.00
What car is it?
Could also be poor HT leads
my astra did a similar thing and my alternator was breaking down causing intetference. eventually it packed up changed alternator and it stopped intetfering
Fit a suppresser filter
AF54AZ

bad earth connection. you can by a supresser from any car audio shop for … bad earth connection. you can by a supresser from any car audio shop for 3.00

I see that Halfords have a Car Audio Interference Supressor for £8.49.
I might get that and see if it works. Are they really £3 in other shops ?
And are they easy to fit ? I put the head unit in myself so can get behind it easily.

halfords.com/web…888
Edited by: "KongDonkey" 5th Jan 2014
Alternater interference is usually a whine, a crackle which changes with engine speed would indicate interference from plug leads, you dont say what car it is or aerial type, your aerial could be shot, if its an old car check that the aerial is still getting a good earth connection on car bodywork.
willy_doit

Alternater interference is usually a whine, a crackle which changes with … Alternater interference is usually a whine, a crackle which changes with engine speed would indicate interference from plug leads, you dont say what car it is or aerial type, your aerial could be shot, if its an old car check that the aerial is still getting a good earth connection on car bodywork.

The car is 7 years old. I just replaced the aerial on the roof recently and reception is good except for the crackle when the engine is on. It is a Rover.
KongDonkey

The car is 7 years old. I just replaced the aerial on the roof recently … The car is 7 years old. I just replaced the aerial on the roof recently and reception is good except for the crackle when the engine is on. It is a Rover.

It's probably the head gasket on it's last legs.:)
try a local shop they not that price i bought one while back it cost 3.00
KongDonkey

The car is 7 years old. I just replaced the aerial on the roof recently … The car is 7 years old. I just replaced the aerial on the roof recently and reception is good except for the crackle when the engine is on. It is a Rover.

Which model Rover? Why was the aerial originally replaced? Was it for the crackling or other issue? Has the crackling only occurred since replacing the aerial? Have you had any other work done on the car lately? How long has the crackling been happening for? Radios very rarely require suppressing these days.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants