Car Engine Coolant

Posted 11th Jan
Hi, my car's engine coolant level is very low and I was thinking would a normal antifreeze (bought from poundland) work as replacement or do I really have to buy the expensive coolant.
The color of my Car's coolant is pink whereas the antifreeze I bought from poundland is blue. I tried to search internet but could not come to the right decision.
Any help please.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
Edit: coolant color in my car is Red
Morrisons have it for w pound each
Sufiyaan11/01/2020 12:36

Morrisons have it for w pound each

so my question was would a normal antifreeze work, like the one I bought from pound land?
Yes
Pretty sure there are different types/strengths of coolant. I would check before adding the Poundland one that it is compatible with your car. Don't get it on the paintwork!

There is of course antifreeze, coolant and a combination.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 11th Jan
The one I bought from poundstretcher specifically stated "suitable for all cars".

Also, determine whether it is "ready mixed" or not.

I hope that helps.
Also, check again in a few months. If it's low again then you have a bigger problem.
MadeDixonsCry11/01/2020 12:55

The one I bought from poundstretcher specifically stated "suitable for all …The one I bought from poundstretcher specifically stated "suitable for all cars".Also, determine whether it is "ready mixed" or not. I hope that helps.

Suitable for all cars is a lie as I don't have any in mine at all.

@asifbutt best not to mix coolant types, either get the same type of drain it all and use whatever type the manufacturer recommends. Depending on components it comes into contat in the system certain types can have adverse effects on the parts.
Don’t mix red and blue antifreeze, it’s turns into like a jelly type substance which you really don’t want running through your coolant system
MadeDixonsCry11/01/2020 12:57

Also, check again in a few months. If it's low again then you have a …Also, check again in a few months. If it's low again then you have a bigger problem.

I’d personally check a lot sooner than ‘a few months’, that’s quite a long time to go without checking it. I always get into a habit of checking my levels every 1 to 2 weeks if not then at least once a month, it never hurts to check all car fluid levels.
I'd look on Halfords, you put in your reg and they tell you what you want, no obligation to buy though!
I also suspect that the way you first described the colour as pink aka light red would indicate that the fluid had been topped up with water a few times, diluting it.
If you think you're losing water, might I suggest a kit for detecting leaks, it's a florescent dye and a UV torch
rover.ebay.com/rov…073
Edited by: "esar" 11th Jan
I put water in engine coolant. Regarding checking on halfords which I did and it comes to something around £20 plus. My only question was would a cheap antifreez from pound land or sainsbuy etc be same in terms of efficiency compare to halfords or eurocarparts etc..
It should have the ratios/strengths on the bottle.

One is a pound presumably, even Sainsburys would be considerably more, but for the sake of my car I would not go tipping Poundland's into it!

£20 to protect your engine, well it ain't rocket science.
I was told not to mix my anti freeze
Can use distilled water (cheap) if you’re simply topping up
Also it is very low as you say then one litre probably isn't enough.
JumpMan198011/01/2020 15:59

Can use distilled water (cheap) if you’re simply topping up

Depends on how often, as dilution is occurring each time, lessening the temperature it freezes at. Hence me mentioning getting a tester
What colour is your car?
esar11/01/2020 18:06

So what do you use?

Lol. I was having a senior moment and somehow thought op was using screenwash
Antifreeze is based on various base liquids and chemicals. It’s always recommended to stick to the same colour as they are industry standardised to the chemical base.
Mixing or diluting can cause additional internal oxidation, reduce cooling efficiency, cause the liquid freeze temp to rise and lead to a worse repair.
While the right stuff may be more expensive. Check places like euro car parts etc. Saving a few quid now can cost much more later.
As for people suggesting just mix, it’s not their car.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions