Car garage rip off and damaged car

Found 8th Sep 2017
Hi guys I am sharing my story how I got ripped off so you guys can be aware
My car need a replacement engine and I booked a garage online as they were cheapest and have good reviews.i was quoted £1300 to recondition engine in 14 days.After so many calls I got car back after 35 days😔 with Bill now touched to £2000.When I picked my car windscreen was broken and they advise me come after 500 miles they will check engine and change windscreen.i barely drive car for 50 miles than I got leakage of diseal from engine with fumes coming out.i have checked they have fitted old engine instead of recondition engine.i have recovered car back to them they said they have fixed the car but will not change windscreen and engine
pls advise I drive for living

By the way this is a Pakistani garage with English names when you call them on their business number that's how I got trapped ☹️☹️
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
"By the way this is a Pakistani garage with English names when you call them on their business number that's how I got trapped"

What the hell has that got to do with anything?!
20 Comments
If you're not happy go to Trading Standards
Unfortunately, this is a story as old as the existence of cars....dodgy garages. I think the lesson here, is to not always choose a garage on price, especially online.
Many years ago I did the same and ended up with a replacement transfer gearbox that had no oil in it. This caused the box to literally explode on the motorway.
I now make sure that I only deal with personally recommended garages for anything.
Don't suppose you paid even £1 of the bill on a credit card,eh?
Agree with @artnada Report to trading standards!!!
"By the way this is a Pakistani garage with English names when you call them on their business number that's how I got trapped"

What the hell has that got to do with anything?!
Your first statement puzzles me. You say "I was quoted £1300 to recondition engine." Therefore, it WILL be your old engine - but with 'new' internals etc. That is of course if they did the job correctly which I think is more the issue here.

Whilst it is not true of all, many 'cheap' back-alley garages are cheap for a reason. Sadly, you aren't the first and definitely won't be the last. Hard to give advice really. We all have differing methods to deal with rogues like this. I would forget about the windscreen as this is annoying; yes; but trivial in the grand scheme. The engine is the main point. As you say they have fixed the car now, is it ok? Or have you yet to try it?

Perhaps take a small hit and have another mechanic inspect your car/engine to make sure it is ok/safe in his (or her's) opinion. Then decide what to do from there. The leak could have been an incorrectly seated gasket which they have replaced. Remember, mistakes DO happen. Incidentally, why did the quote rise from £1300 to £2000?

Regards, Phsy.
This is the trouble with going with the cheapest place offering the cheapest fix.
Reconditioned means your old engine or another old engine which has been checked over repaired if required.

As it's a small garage they aren't going to be doing more then a hour or so test run on the reconditioned engine so it's easy for issues to crop up later.

If the windscreen was cracked during it's time in the garage and the bill was higher than the original quote then you should have refused to accept it back until the windscreen was fixed and bill was a reasonable amount.

citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ir/
Edited by: "joedastudd" 8th Sep 2017
Original Poster
artnada4 h, 4 m ago

If you're not happy go to Trading Standards

I will but as far as I am aware they act only if they got plenty of repair of specific garage
Original Poster
airbus3303 h, 36 m ago

Unfortunately, this is a story as old as the existence of cars....dodgy …Unfortunately, this is a story as old as the existence of cars....dodgy garages. I think the lesson here, is to not always choose a garage on price, especially online. Many years ago I did the same and ended up with a replacement transfer gearbox that had no oil in it. This caused the box to literally explode on the motorway.I now make sure that I only deal with personally recommended garages for anything.

Golden words
Original Poster
terriclarkfan3 h, 4 m ago

Don't suppose you paid even £1 of the bill on a credit card,eh?

It was on my mind they said at last minute there's problem with their card machine and will take time to be fixed and they need payment to order cards
Original Poster
Tiddly_fiddly2 h, 24 m ago

Agree with @artnada Report to trading standards!!!

I will they made mess of the system
Original Poster
cdm222 h, 25 m ago

"By the way this is a Pakistani garage with English names when you call …"By the way this is a Pakistani garage with English names when you call them on their business number that's how I got trapped"What the hell has that got to do with anything?!

It is why concele your identity on phone or on emails I end up with doggy mechanics somewhere in East London I was told by recovery guy be aware that engine he fitted is not stolen Mate visit East London than u will know what I am talking about
Original Poster
Phsycronix1 h, 56 m ago

Your first statement puzzles me. You say "I was quoted £1300 to …Your first statement puzzles me. You say "I was quoted £1300 to recondition engine." Therefore, it WILL be your old engine - but with 'new' internals etc. That is of course if they did the job correctly which I think is more the issue here.Whilst it is not true of all, many 'cheap' back-alley garages are cheap for a reason. Sadly, you aren't the first and definitely won't be the last. Hard to give advice really. We all have differing methods to deal with rogues like this. I would forget about the windscreen as this is annoying; yes; but trivial in the grand scheme. The engine is the main point. As you say they have fixed the car now, is it ok? Or have you yet to try it?Perhaps take a small hit and have another mechanic inspect your car/engine to make sure it is ok/safe in his (or her's) opinion. Then decide what to do from there. The leak could have been an incorrectly seated gasket which they have replaced. Remember, mistakes DO happen. Incidentally, why did the quote rise from £1300 to £2000?Regards, Phsy.

Mate that's a trick they quote you price after car is delivered they take half of money and 14 days and contact you saying these things need replacement and they are not on the quote they can fix the car without it but they don't give guarantee so it's better to fix those things
Car engine was fuming and I was concerned it might catch up fire
Original Poster
joedastudd33 m ago

This is the trouble with going with the cheapest place offering the …This is the trouble with going with the cheapest place offering the cheapest fix.Reconditioned means your old engine or another old engine which has been checked over repaired if required.As it's a small garage they aren't going to be doing more then a hour or so test run on the reconditioned engine so it's easy for issues to crop up later.If the windscreen was cracked during it's time in the garage and the bill was higher than the original quote then you should have refused to accept it back until the windscreen was fixed and bill was a reasonable amount.https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repairing-a-car/problems-with-a-car-repair/

I am not taking car back it's with them now but they say it's fixed and parked the car outside in high congestion area with parking ticket officers they are not negotiating on windscreen or engine and said I will be responsible for parking tickets if any I got that's worry me only
m401 h, 10 m ago

I am not taking car back it's with them now but they say it's fixed and …I am not taking car back it's with them now but they say it's fixed and parked the car outside in high congestion area with parking ticket officers they are not negotiating on windscreen or engine and said I will be responsible for parking tickets if any I got that's worry me only

Right. So, they've "fixed" the second problem and ditched your car. You NEED to get it back then as they won't give a monkeys if your car gets a parking ticket (or lots of them!) and as the car is registered to you - you will be liable - period. I know it sucks but that's how it is.

The screen you can get replaced under insurance for an excess payment. No - I know you shouldn't have to - but again, it sucks. From their point of view, you need to prove it wasn't broken BEFORE they had it.

If you retrieve your car, you can check the number stamped on the engine. This may prove if it's your engine (as detailed on your V5 document) or another recon engine. As I said - to recondition an engine, and "a reconditioned engine" are two different things. A properly sourced reconditioned engine generally looks like new.

Reading back, are you saying you paid by cash? The story about the card machine not working would suggest this. Have you obtained any receipt for the work done? If you are to build any kind of case against them you are going to need as much evidence as possible.

Sadly, this is starting to sound like there is a barrel involved and they have you well and truly over it...
Why pay thousands for a car repair when you can buy a brand new dacia sandero with a genuine 3 years manufacturers warranty.
31929673-h3d7A.jpg
Original Poster
Phsycronix
I paid by bank transfer and got receipts where to report them so some one else can't be put in my condition
Original Poster
POWYSWALES7 h, 7 m ago

Why pay thousands for a car repair when you can buy a brand new dacia …Why pay thousands for a car repair when you can buy a brand new dacia sandero with a genuine 3 years manufacturers warranty.[Image]

Are they any good mate
POWYSWALES7 h, 27 m ago

Why pay thousands for a car repair when you can buy a brand new dacia …Why pay thousands for a car repair when you can buy a brand new dacia sandero with a genuine 3 years manufacturers warranty.[Image]

Are you on commission by any chance cos every opportunity you get you try to peddle cheap crap
Take them to the small claims court but why the hell would you pay bank transfer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants