Car Got Hit while parked, what to do?

Posted 13th Aug 2020
Hi guys, not sure if this is the right section of the forum. But would like to get some advice as my car was hit while parked on the street.

The other driver was planning to drive away but my gf stopped him, we’ve taken photos of his vehicle with reg and the damage on both of the cars. He left his name/ address and insurance company but is now saying he only hit the wing mirror not the side of the car, and he is also asking my car reg and insurance details. Is he trying something dodgy or is it okay for me to provide these to him?

Any helps or suggestions will be appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Ask your insurance company what you should do.
22 Comments
Ask your insurance company what you should do.
Yes you must exchange details, and prepare for a long, arduous battle with your insurance company, who will probably go 50/50. If there is any CCTV i strongly suggest you obtain it ASAP. Though some places refuse to release CCTV to the public and will only do it upon request from the police or insurance, be carefull though because some places will only keep their footage for a few days, so you might need to tell them to keep the footage even if they wont release it to you.

Thankfully you managed to apprehend him/her so you wont have to shoulder all of the costs, but since they did stop (even after your prompting) you cannot take any further action on that. (If they had driven off and not stopped, you could call the police and report it as a hit and run)
Thank you both for your reply. I’ve just spoken to one of the shops and they said they’ll have a look at the CCTV footage and will keep a copy if the incident can be seen in it, but I think it’ll likely only be shared with police/ insurance investigator.

Also called my insurance company and they advised it’ll be a claim ( non-fault claim) on my record, even though they’ll chase the other part to pay for the damage. So my question is should I try to get in touch with the insurance company of the other driver, and expect them to payout ( so no claim record on my side) ? Is that likely? Or should I claim via my insurance straight away?
From previous experience of this your insurer won't be interested in pursuing the other party. You could claim against him yourself or you could use a claims adjuster to do it for you. If you can prove the other party was at fault all costs go to his insurer. Whole system is a right pain in the.........
jd613/08/2020 14:42

Thank you both for your reply. I’ve just spoken to one of the shops and t …Thank you both for your reply. I’ve just spoken to one of the shops and they said they’ll have a look at the CCTV footage and will keep a copy if the incident can be seen in it, but I think it’ll likely only be shared with police/ insurance investigator. Also called my insurance company and they advised it’ll be a claim ( non-fault claim) on my record, even though they’ll chase the other part to pay for the damage. So my question is should I try to get in touch with the insurance company of the other driver, and expect them to payout ( so no claim record on my side) ? Is that likely? Or should I claim via my insurance straight away?

If he in any way disputes it, you must go through your own insurance. Otherwise yes, go direct to his insurance and it will be notify only on your insurance and not a no-fault claim.
In my experience, a claim you make where the other party has paid out in full won't affect your insurance premiums or incur any excess (but you still have to declare it as that, a claim where all losses were recovered from the 3rd party). That was my experience after someone drove into the back of me.

If you have a "legal protection" add-on with your policy, get them on the case now to ensure the above happens, especially if you're concerned the other party is a bit slippery.

Finally, you say you stopped them driving off and so on. So if there is any footage of the event, either you or your gf will be in it. You can therefore make a subject access request for the footage under the GDPR.
Good luck!

I've spent the last 3 months trying to get a woman to admit fault, after a hit and run to my vehicle. Its not even at the stage where she has had her vehicle checked by an independent source.

The police don't care, written report and photos. They say "it's not our duty to admit fault". So everyone, drive around freely hitting other peoples property and driving off, it's a free country!

Insurance company (the underwriter, MarkerStudy) just wants me to claim on my insurance, and then later on, they will reverse it once she admits fault. They won't chase the 3rd party insurance, they can only send physical letters once, no more.

You can't contact their insurance because once contact between yours, and theirs has started, they refuse to reply to your calls and emails.

30mins each time you call Markerstudy, listening to the same classical song over and over, to get an update - sorry, no news. 30minutes wasted, thank god for WeQ4U!

Its a joke of a process, and hope no one has to go through it.
Edited by: "darkstryder360" 13th Aug
deleted231690913/08/2020 16:13

Comment deleted

Mine is AIB Insurance, but I think Sky is probably under the same banner. They all have like 2 or 3 different aliases too it seems.
darkstryder36013/08/2020 16:12

Good luck! I've spent the last 3 months trying to get a woman to admit …Good luck! I've spent the last 3 months trying to get a woman to admit fault, after a hit and run to my vehicle. Its not even at the stage where she has had her vehicle checked by an independent source. The police don't care, written report and photos. They say "it's not our duty to admit fault". So everyone, drive around freely hitting other peoples property and driving off, it's a free country! Insurance company (the underwriter, MarkerStudy) just wants me to claim on my insurance, and then later on, they will reverse it once she admits fault. They won't chase the 3rd party insurance, they can only send physical letters once, no more.You can't contact their insurance because once contact between yours, and theirs has started, they refuse to reply to your calls and emails. 30mins each time you call Markerstudy, listening to the same classical song over and over, to get an update - sorry, no news. 30minutes wasted, thank god for WeQ4U! Its a joke of a process, and hope no one has to go through it.

Don't forget to make a complaint when it's all over if you think they aren't trying hard enough (or maybe even open one now if that seems reasonable). At least you should then be able to get some kind of compensation for the unnecessary hassle and inconvenience, and can ask the financial ombudsman to look at it if they don't put it right.
paul_merton13/08/2020 16:59

Don't forget to make a complaint when it's all over if you think they …Don't forget to make a complaint when it's all over if you think they aren't trying hard enough (or maybe even open one now if that seems reasonable). At least you should then be able to get some kind of compensation for the unnecessary hassle and inconvenience, and can ask the financial ombudsman to look at it if they don't put it right.

Definitely will do, although I predict a fruitless effort. I questioned their lack of urgency (when they eventually answered) and was hit with the generic COVID/Work from Home response. Could be true, but looking at Trustpilot reviews, they were incompetent prior to this
Just to reiterate what has been said already. If you have informed your own insurer of the incident it will be on your record. When getting quotes for your next policy you still have to declare it and if you don't the insurers computers will know and you risk invalidating your policy. It should not increase the premium but is another hassle which is easy to ignore at your own peril.
I was hit, whilst stationary, thankfully I had my dash cam recording the full incident. The other parties insurer made a direct payment to me so it did not class as me being involved in an accident or claim.
hubcms13/08/2020 19:19

I was hit, whilst stationary, thankfully I had my dash cam recording the …I was hit, whilst stationary, thankfully I had my dash cam recording the full incident. The other parties insurer made a direct payment to me so it did not class as me being involved in an accident or claim.

You still notified your own insurer, though, right?
airbus33013/08/2020 19:11

Just to reiterate what has been said already. If you have informed your …Just to reiterate what has been said already. If you have informed your own insurer of the incident it will be on your record. When getting quotes for your next policy you still have to declare it and if you don't the insurers computers will know and you risk invalidating your policy. It should not increase the premium but is another hassle which is easy to ignore at your own peril.

Mine actually decreased when declaring a non fault accident. Using comparison websites my cheapest quotes were always Hastings, It was £4 cheaper declaring it!
paul_merton13/08/2020 19:23

You still notified your own insurer, though, right?

TBH I cannot remember. However if you weren't in the car and it was parked, and the other insurer repairs the car direct, you wouldn't have made a claim or been involved in an accident. Well that's the way I see it.
hubcms13/08/2020 20:37

TBH I cannot remember. However if you weren't in the car and it was …TBH I cannot remember. However if you weren't in the car and it was parked, and the other insurer repairs the car direct, you wouldn't have made a claim or been involved in an accident. Well that's the way I see it.

You should read your policy in full, as there is often an obligation to report any incidents or damage regardless of whether you make a claim or not (it doesn't matter if you were in it or not, obviously, as you'd still expect the car to be insured while unattended).

Your insurance could be invalidated otherwise, and you may not find out until you actually try to make a claim and they then discover another insurer has a record of the incident that you failed to tell them about.
airbus33013/08/2020 19:11

Just to reiterate what has been said already. If you have informed your …Just to reiterate what has been said already. If you have informed your own insurer of the incident it will be on your record. When getting quotes for your next policy you still have to declare it and if you don't the insurers computers will know and you risk invalidating your policy. It should not increase the premium but is another hassle which is easy to ignore at your own peril.

Yeah just received the following confirmation from my insurer:

“Notification Only
The case has now been closed as Notification Only and therefore we will have no further dealings with the claim.

Your Policy will not be affected, and you will not be liable to pay an excess.”

The other party’s insurance company has appointed a loss adjuster ( or is it called insurance handler?), which is a company called FMG to deal with this. So I’m now just waiting for the appointed repair garage to come for an inspection.
jd614/08/2020 15:31

Yeah just received the following confirmation from my …Yeah just received the following confirmation from my insurer:“Notification Only The case has now been closed as Notification Only and therefore we will have no further dealings with the claim.Your Policy will not be affected, and you will not be liable to pay an excess.”The other party’s insurance company has appointed a loss adjuster ( or is it called insurance handler?), which is a company called FMG to deal with this. So I’m now just waiting for the appointed repair garage to come for an inspection.

Looks like you are on a winner! Just a note, if like many of us you do the compare the market etc. thing for a new quote each year, some, but not all, insurers comparison websites recognise the Notification Only term in their choices for logging a claim on the quote. I've always put it down as a No Fault claim with zero cost claimed in this case and it has never been a broblem.
airbus33014/08/2020 15:40

Looks like you are on a winner! Just a note, if like many of us you do the …Looks like you are on a winner! Just a note, if like many of us you do the compare the market etc. thing for a new quote each year, some, but not all, insurers comparison websites recognise the Notification Only term in their choices for logging a claim on the quote. I've always put it down as a No Fault claim with zero cost claimed in this case and it has never been a broblem.

Yeah thanks for the info and will keep that in mind when time comes for renewal. Feel I got lucky this time not have to spend tons of time chasing/ arguing on this. Hopefully the repair process will be fairly straightforward and don’t have to worry about this anymore.
Hmm, dealing directly with the other party's insurer seems unwise in the general case. They'll be wanting to spend as little as possible to resolve this, and I doubt you'd be able to take them to the ombudsman if you're not happy with the quality of the repair or any other aspect, as you're not even their customer.

Your own insurer is probably also happy with this arrangement, as they don't have to spend any time or money administering the claim for you!

Still, it sounds like a straightforward enough repair.
An expert will be able to to recover paint samples from the damages and will exactly tell that the belong to his car.
Buckyball14/08/2020 18:03

An expert will be able to to recover paint samples from the damages and …An expert will be able to to recover paint samples from the damages and will exactly tell that the belong to his car.

At what cost? It's not proportionate to do that in a case like this.
Post a comment
@
    Text