Car Haggle Experts Required

Posted 12th Oct
Hi all,

Looking to buy a used car roughly around the 17 plate and have always sucked at haggling.

Any tips or advice you guys could give me.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Don't take "No Deal" of the table when negotiating, otherwise the salesman will have his way with you.
Obviously UK politicians have never purchased a car
jg21312/10/2019 11:35

Don't take "No Deal" of the table when negotiating, otherwise the salesman …Don't take "No Deal" of the table when negotiating, otherwise the salesman will have his way with you.

Edited by: "jimbob1286" 12th Oct
35 Comments
Most dealers now won’t haggle on price and walked away from many a deal last year. Kept getting told that in the internet age the cars are priced to sell and saw this across the country. They deal in the finance side and try and buy with cash they just don’t want to haggle.

Some will knock £100 off if you tell them you are old school and won’t pay the screen price many will just let you walk away.

make sure you check out Motorpoint we bought from them after seeing comments on here and seeing they had changed their business model. Car direct from the manufacturer about £5k less than a car with more mileage at a dealer.
Edited by: "eslick" 12th Oct
Cash. Always cash. Don’t have the cash? Take out a loan. PCP interest rates are never worth it.

Don’t be too keen. Make it look like you are just browsing, that you like x car but it is too end of your budget.

If you get to the stage of offering, then offer 15% lower than the asking price. They won’t accept, try to meet them at 10.

Buy towards the end of the month - ideally when they have sales/events on or any sign that they are really trying to sell that month.

Don’t be afraid to walk away. It’s a negotiation technique sometimes. Don’t be pressured into anything.

Don’t bother listening when they try to sweeten the deal with all the unwanted extras. If you want certain extras, agree a price and then request them
eslick12/10/2019 11:30

Most dealers now won’t haggle on price and walked away from many a deal l …Most dealers now won’t haggle on price and walked away from many a deal last year. Kept getting told that in the internet age the cars are priced to sell and saw this across the country. They deal in the finance side and try and buy with cash they just don’t want to haggle.Some will knock £100 off if you tell them you are old school and won’t pay the screen price many will just let you walk away.make sure you check out Motorpoint we bought from them after seeing comments on here and seeing they had changed their business model. Car direct from the manufacturer about £5k less than a car with more mileage at a dealer.

Thank you was hoping I could get a little bit off.
Don't take "No Deal" of the table when negotiating, otherwise the salesman will have his way with you.
Jordztar12/10/2019 11:30

Cash. Always cash. Don’t have the cash? Take out a loan. PCP interest r …Cash. Always cash. Don’t have the cash? Take out a loan. PCP interest rates are never worth it.Don’t be too keen. Make it look like you are just browsing, that you like x car but it is too end of your budget.If you get to the stage of offering, then offer 15% lower than the asking price. They won’t accept, try to meet them at 10.Buy towards the end of the month - ideally when they have sales/events on or any sign that they are really trying to sell that month.Don’t be afraid to walk away. It’s a negotiation technique sometimes. Don’t be pressured into anything.Don’t bother listening when they try to sweeten the deal with all the unwanted extras. If you want certain extras, agree a price and then request them

Thanks for the reply, I would be paying cash for it. Would asking say a main dealership to fit it with new tyres be something they could do?
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 12th Oct
eslick12/10/2019 11:30

Most dealers now won’t haggle on price and walked away from many a deal l …Most dealers now won’t haggle on price and walked away from many a deal last year. Kept getting told that in the internet age the cars are priced to sell and saw this across the country. They deal in the finance side and try and buy with cash they just don’t want to haggle.Some will knock £100 off if you tell them you are old school and won’t pay the screen price many will just let you walk away.make sure you check out Motorpoint we bought from them after seeing comments on here and seeing they had changed their business model. Car direct from the manufacturer about £5k less than a car with more mileage at a dealer.

I’ve never had problems knocking dealers down
_Whatever_12/10/2019 11:35

Thanks for the reply, I would be paying cash for it. Would asking say a …Thanks for the reply, I would be paying cash for it. Would asking say a main dealership to fit it with new tyres be something they could do?

You could, but ask yourself is it worth it. Generally the tread should be decent anyway. It all depends on the car and how much a tyre costs tbf.
The prices at dealers are usually slightly bumped up as they know most people finance the car and therefore don't care if its 500 or 1000 more expensive than the going rate.

If its a huge dealer, you might be able to haggle a full tank of fuel or a service plan.

If its a smaller dealer, theres no harm in asking if theres movement on the price, if not, say you'll think about it and walk away.

Don't take "No Deal" of the table when negotiating, otherwise the salesman …Don't take "No Deal" of the table when negotiating, otherwise the salesman will have his way with you.

Edited by: "jimbob1286" 12th Oct
Jordztar12/10/2019 11:39

You could, but ask yourself is it worth it. Generally the tread should be …You could, but ask yourself is it worth it. Generally the tread should be decent anyway. It all depends on the car and how much a tyre costs tbf.

Yeah makes sense. Guess it all depends when I go see the cars.
J4GG412/10/2019 11:39

The prices at dealers are usually slightly bumped up as they know most …The prices at dealers are usually slightly bumped up as they know most people finance the car and therefore don't care if its 500 or 1000 more expensive than the going rate.If its a huge dealer, you might be able to haggle a full tank of fuel or a service plan.If its a smaller dealer, theres no harm in asking if theres movement on the price, if not, say you'll think about it and walk away.

Thank you, a service plan would be decent. But heard you are more likely to get deals if you are financing it through the dealership.l as opposed to cash buyers
_Whatever_12/10/2019 11:41

Yeah makes sense. Guess it all depends when I go see the cars.

Go somewhere with multiple dealerships. Start with the one you are interested in, walk away. Go to others for practice.

Later that day return to the one you started with. Try and get the attention of somebody that looks experienced and a good salesman - they will hopefully have a higher authority and have hit their targets.

Be confident. Don’t be overkeen.
jimbob128612/10/2019 11:41

In politics, you don't buy, period.
A deal is made for personal gain, not national gain, because the maths to calculate personal gain is doable whereas that for national gain is horrendously complicated maths which is beyond the ability of politicians without bring socio economic mathematicians to the frontline.
Edit:-
A person gain could be as simple as what it takes to be "in power".
Edited by: "splender" 12th Oct
Jordztar12/10/2019 11:30

Cash. Always cash. Don’t have the cash? Take out a loan. PCP interest r …Cash. Always cash. Don’t have the cash? Take out a loan. PCP interest rates are never worth it.Don’t be too keen. Make it look like you are just browsing, that you like x car but it is too end of your budget.If you get to the stage of offering, then offer 15% lower than the asking price. They won’t accept, try to meet them at 10.Buy towards the end of the month - ideally when they have sales/events on or any sign that they are really trying to sell that month.Don’t be afraid to walk away. It’s a negotiation technique sometimes. Don’t be pressured into anything.Don’t bother listening when they try to sweeten the deal with all the unwanted extras. If you want certain extras, agree a price and then request them

CREDIT CARD. ALWAYS make some kind of payment by credit card.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 12th Oct
Pay part payment with cc for protection and I agree go to other dealers, from there you will have a better understanding of what you can get and what you can push for. Then go back to the one you want the car from.
I found the same car at 3 dealers for £15000 ish I cant remember for sure., Went to the first one and tried to haggle. They did not want to at all.
Went to the second after leaving number at first.
Second gave £200 off plus mats and boot liner.
I said I need to check with the wife and went outside.
Rang third dealer and asked for best price with mats and bootliner if I bought it today and said that second dealer was doing it for £14700 with mats etc.
Third dealer came back with £14350 with mats etc.
So I went back inside to dealer two and told them. After 10 mins with his boss they did the deal @ £14350 with mats and boot liner.
Mine was a pre reg with 8 mile on it after I test drove it, Got about 47-48 % off new price.
_Whatever_12/10/2019 11:35

Thanks for the reply, I would be paying cash for it. Would asking say a …Thanks for the reply, I would be paying cash for it. Would asking say a main dealership to fit it with new tyres be something they could do?

Why would you want new tyres on a ‘17 plate. You really want cash left in you pocket.
I would take someone else with you and agree the price you want to pay between the 2 of you and that way you can both ‘work’ on the dealer.
And as others have suggested, part pay with credit card for further protection.
Toptrumpet12/10/2019 12:46

Why would you want new tyres on a ‘17 plate. You really want cash left in y …Why would you want new tyres on a ‘17 plate. You really want cash left in you pocket.I would take someone else with you and agree the price you want to pay between the 2 of you and that way you can both ‘work’ on the dealer.And as others have suggested, part pay with credit card for further protection.

Sorry I meant for them to throw them into the price. Not to add it as an extra purchase. Appreciate the advice regarding credit card as I would not of done that.
_Whatever_12/10/2019 13:00

Sorry I meant for them to throw them into the price. Not to add it as an …Sorry I meant for them to throw them into the price. Not to add it as an extra purchase. Appreciate the advice regarding credit card as I would not of done that.

Just remember, you’ve got what the dealer really wants - CASH.
There really is strength in numbers, so take someone with you, even if they just stand there with their hands in their pockets.
I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before, but I can't find it here, and more worryingly I can't remember the answer.

One is always going to get the very best deal on a car if they agree to finance being supplied by the dealer. My thinking is to negotiate a good deal whilst taking out finance and then clearing the finance under a cooling off period within days.

Is that procedure possible?
Toptrumpet12/10/2019 13:04

Just remember, you’ve got what the dealer really wants - CASH.There really …Just remember, you’ve got what the dealer really wants - CASH.There really is strength in numbers, so take someone with you, even if they just stand there with their hands in their pockets.

I think now days they want to load you up with finance, Thats ok if you get the car cheaper.
Take out the finance which starts the day you pick up the car, take delivery get home and pay off the finance.
14 day cooling off period. Should be fee free and no interest. Mate did it with his new merc.
Jordztar12/10/2019 11:38

I’ve never had problems knocking dealers down

Have you bought recently the last couple of years it’s changed, was ready to travel
throughout the country and the number who were willing to negotiate more than £100 was zero and never had issues in 30 odd years of buying cars.
We were in that situation a few months ago, also paying cash. We got £500 off the price, new tyres and a couple of little scratches fixed
That was a main dealership. Found motorpoint and those places promised a lot (they'd fix scratches for example) and then wouldn't
Go for a car that’s been on their website for months. Go at the end of the month. Get really close to agreeing a deal then walk away. Wait til they phone you the next day and you’ll find negotiating much easier
deleted1410297
Arnold clark and the other one evans or something, you have no bargaining power there.
_Whatever_12/10/2019 11:42

But heard you are more likely to get deals if you are financing it through …But heard you are more likely to get deals if you are financing it through the dealership.l as opposed to cash buyers

That's definitely the case with new cars, not so sure about used though.

As stupid as it seems, if you have the cash to pay for a brand new car outright, the cheapest way to do it is often to take out the dealer's finance then settle it immediately.
eslick12/10/2019 13:38

Have you bought recently the last couple of years it’s changed, was ready t …Have you bought recently the last couple of years it’s changed, was ready to travelthroughout the country and the number who were willing to negotiate more than £100 was zero and never had issues in 30 odd years of buying cars.

Yup! Knocked 900+ off my Mazda and 600 odd plus accessories/extras from my fiancées VW. It took me a few hours, but worth it. Though some of that time also involved deciding on what car/brand to haggle with.
spoo12/10/2019 14:45

That's definitely the case with new cars, not so sure about used though.As …That's definitely the case with new cars, not so sure about used though.As stupid as it seems, if you have the cash to pay for a brand new car outright, the cheapest way to do it is often to take out the dealer's finance then settle it immediately.

Why take out the finance first? I’m guessing to get stuff like servicing and gap insurance included for x amount of years?
Jordztar12/10/2019 14:52

Why take out the finance first? I’m guessing to get stuff like servicing a …Why take out the finance first? I’m guessing to get stuff like servicing and gap insurance included for x amount of years?

Dealers will give deals on finance as they build in the profit into that, we had dealers who just went quiet when we said cash.
eslick12/10/2019 14:55

Dealers will give deals on finance as they build in the profit into that, …Dealers will give deals on finance as they build in the profit into that, we had dealers who just went quiet when we said cash.

Just what I was about to say

It's down to the fact finance companies pay the dealers commission for every finance package they sell.

Not sure if it's true but I did read somewhere that dealers actually make more money from selling the finance than the cars themselves.
OllieSt12/10/2019 13:06

I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before, but I can't find it here, …I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before, but I can't find it here, and more worryingly I can't remember the answer.One is always going to get the very best deal on a car if they agree to finance being supplied by the dealer. My thinking is to negotiate a good deal whilst taking out finance and then clearing the finance under a cooling off period within days.Is that procedure possible?

I've seen it mentioned numerous times in deals from DrivetheDeal etc, and yes, I believe it's allowed. Frowned upon buy the dealers as I believe they may lose their commission from the finance company, but I believe there's nothing they can do to stop you.

lol that only works when you have something to offer
deeky12/10/2019 22:37

I've seen it mentioned numerous times in deals from DrivetheDeal etc, and …I've seen it mentioned numerous times in deals from DrivetheDeal etc, and yes, I believe it's allowed. Frowned upon buy the dealers as I believe they may lose their commission from the finance company, but I believe there's nothing they can do to stop you.

Weirdly a Peugeot salesman actually suggested doing exactly this when my mum was looking. This was 2-3 years ago so they may be less keen now...
Drive to you local car auction and buy it there (E.G British car auctions).

I have brought around 8 cars from car auctions and my dad has bought around 32 cars over the last 20 years. we have not had an issue any with of them. if you know what you are looking for. we normally go for cars just under there warranty (normally a month or 2 left) and or cars being sold from a dealership or a company.

most car shops hold on to 2nd hand cars on there forecourt for 6 months before sending them to the car auction and also remember 80% of people buying at these places are dealers to put them on there forecourts.

a personal buyer can always out bid a dealer as they want the car under book price (sure personal users pay more auction costs)

2 years ago i bought a ASX top of the range(limited edition) for 7k the dealer i out bidded said he would of put it on his forecourt for 9.5k. (this car was being sold by a another dealership (main dealership))
I took to the car to my main dealer to look at some car stuff (was missing a bit of plastic to cover one foot of the front seat). the sale mans just said he just put that car like mines through the auction and i was like i am the lucky guy that bought it.
P.S this dealership was the one that sold the car from new and done all the servicing on it .

P.S the money you save you can put away incase you have any issues/maintenance/ buy your self a warranty (seen people do this but i never under stand why people buy a warranty)
Edited by: "Mackan" 15th Oct
deleted141029712/10/2019 14:07

Arnold clark and the other one evans or something, you have no bargaining …Arnold clark and the other one evans or something, you have no bargaining power there.

Sorry FUAARRKK, got to disagree with you on that point.
I was trading in my car (Fiesta) against a newer car (Insignia) at Arnold Clark. We did a test drive and he priced up the Fiesta. During the negotiations inside the dealership the salesman asked me how much 'difference' I was prepared to pay.
He wouldn't accept my figure which was about £1,000 less than he was prepared to accept, so I left.
By the time I got home (5 miles away) my phone was ringing. It was the salesman who "after speaking with his Manager" was now prepared to accept my offer.
I am sure they still made a very healthy profit on the deal but they'd have you believe they are making hardly anything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants