Groups

Car Head Gasket?

How long will a car with a blown head gasket last? There is a lot of that gunk under the oil cap and the car drinks a lot of water.

15 Comments

im not a car expert but I wouldn't imagine long few weeks, couple months.

if you take it to a garage they can replace a head gasket pretty inexpensively

Is it a banger? If so then pour that tac in that seals blown head gaskets. Don't use it on a good engine though,get it fixed

as above, if its not worth the 'proper' repair likely to cost a few hundred, try 'steel seal' - about £30 and they claim to give you your money back if it doesnt work

nothing to lose

Original Poster

wayners

Is it a banger? If so then pour that tac in that seals blown head … Is it a banger? If so then pour that tac in that seals blown head gaskets. Don't use it on a good engine though,get it fixed

Yeah, 2007 Corsa.

Oh. Close call. Worth spending a few hundred on? Or It's a bottle of tac and fingers crossed
    Edited by: "wayners" 15th May

It will start going like a steam train

If the HG has gone the oil on the dip stick will turn white and the engine will start to over heat. Check for obvious signs of leaks else where like rad and hoses. If you have plenty of antifreeze in, say the red one, then the leaks would be obvious , red! Radweld and other sealants for head gaskets are really only a temporary fix.
    If it is the HG it is better to arrange to get it sorted now rather than left stranded, then towed home and then left without a motor that drives.

Fix it now if you're going to. If it blows completely you'll warp the head and might as well write the car off then.

I replaced it myself for about £40 on mk3 Astra a few years ago, amazingly it even worked afterwards

If to much water gets into the cylinder it will hydraulic and bend a conrod, then it's scrap.Get it fixed before its to late.

are you sure its a head gasket?
    corsas are well known for gunk on the oil filler cap even with a good head gasket.Have you checked for a leaking hose or rad.

david_wavid

Yeah, 2007 Corsa.

2007 a banger really, cars last longer than 10 years.

Vauxhall are known for emulsification in the oil cap. Are you sure youve not jst got a leak? Is it overheating and are you getting heat through your heater

eslick

2007 a banger really, cars last longer than 10 years.

Depends on the car vauxhalls dont hold value at all really.

Corsa's are well known to have head gasket issues temp fix it and trade it in
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Electricity69
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…48
      3. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)59
      4. iPhone charging cable.917

See more discussions