Groups

Car help/ advice please

So I have fiesta 2004, had no problems till today, parked it, got out... Decided to move it more forward... Then nothing, I put keys in, nothing happened at all, just like sitting in a dead car. Sat there five minutes then the immobiliser light flashed and car started. Happened two more times on way home after being parked up, again started after 5 mins. Just got home, parked, turned car off, tried to turn on & it won't (probs 4 another 5 mins) also my central locking seems to of vanished! Any ideas what it could be before I take to a garage tomorrow?

17 Comments

So it's not dependent on where you park it? If not, then sounds like radio interference is unlikely.

Do you have a spare key? Try swapping it. Sounds like the RFID chip is playing up.

Our 2002 focus had probs a while back i would go out and when i went to start the car a warning light came on and made a beeping noise and nothing.. car wouldnt start not a sound! Left a bit and tried it abit later and it worked.. this happened 4 times but *touch wood* hasnt happened for about 2 months .. didnt do anything to it, i put it down to something eletrical as we had had tonnes of rain. The 4 times ours did it was spread over a couple of weeks, yours seems alot closer together and the fact your central locking has gone ... all in all ive not got a clue

Original Poster

No I don't have a spare key nothing happens at all, it's as though I'm just sat in a car with the engine off & I have no idea why central locking has stopped working too

Original Poster

Hmm strange, I haven't drove it since a few days ago but it started fine this morning, and when I stopped around lunchtime :-/

Original Poster

Battery is new, can't be that & surely some stuff would work? I put my key in & turn it and not a thing happens, not even a click!

Original Poster

Thanks tinkerbell, il get the battery tested tomorrow. & I'm with the aa yea, but I'm home now, I just know il look a pleb when they get here as the car will start lol

Check the battery terminals are tight. Loose terminals would give same symptoms. Next time car is 'dead', switch on headlamps and see if they work and if they are bright or dim.

If the batteries dead the radio and the lights wont turn on . .

Main reason for it not starting would be blown spark plugs, or starting intermittently would again be spark plugs, also check the oil level if thats extremely low then the car might have trouble starting

Again hope it helps

It sounds like it could be some loose or broken wiring, probably the battery (as mentioned above) or immobiliser system. You would need to get it checked out to be certain. After selling cars for over 5 years I have come across this problem several times, and loose battery connection has been the most common cause.

It sounds like it could be some loose or broken wiring, probably the … It sounds like it could be some loose or broken wiring, probably the battery (as mentioned above) or immobiliser system. You would need to get it checked out to be certain. After selling cars for over 5 years I have come across this problem several times, and loose battery connection has been the most common cause.

But if lights and all that come on it cant be the battery surely? Itd be more likely it would be the spark plugs ?

^^ it's more likely to be fixed after 5 months.
    Edited by: "greg_68" 4th Feb 2011

It's a possibility, but when the OP said the immobiliser came on after a few mins, then it started, is what sways me more to electrical fault.

We're all speculating really, there are a number of things it could be. Best thing to do would be to take it to a independent garage (not a robbing main dealer) and get the fault diagnosed.
    Edited by: "martyn_3000" 4th Feb 2011

So do we know why someone has resurrected a 5 month old thread lol.

Wouldn't of bothered answering if I knew it was that old.

Intrigued to know what the fault was though...

martyn_3000

So do we know why someone has resurrected a 5 month old thread … So do we know why someone has resurrected a 5 month old thread lol.Wouldn't of bothered answering if I knew it was that old.Intrigued to know what the fault was though...

she's a woman she wouldn't be able to tell you even if she knew, your truly Richard Keys.

greg_68

she's a woman she wouldn't be able to tell you even if she knew, your … she's a woman she wouldn't be able to tell you even if she knew, your truly Richard Keys.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45603000/jpg/_45603216_-1.jpg

Original Poster

Needed a new battery- for the person who thinks I wouldn't know!

Banned

*katie*

Needed a new battery- for the person who thinks I wouldn't know!

so you knew that or a mechanic told you that lol?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism46
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846214
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6551247
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764314

See more discussions