Groups

car help needed

ok, so my mum left her lights on and guess what yes she has a dead battery.... i have the jumper cables and know how to di it the only question is where can i earth it to be safe what is a good point etc it is a rover 200 thanks in advance dont want to blow em up LOL

10 Comments

Original Poster

http://www.firetrace.co.uk/images/applications/rover200.jpg

Original Poster

BTW this isnt the car just the same engine minus plastic thing that is going round it (in a circle)

Original Poster

so just something big metal and doesnt move then yeah?

renard;4023076

http://www.haynes.co.uk/Press/Releases_HTML/050630_JumpLeadsPR_haynes_press_release.htm

:oops: news to me, I always connect + to + and - to - (has always worked)

ctuk;4023106

:oops: news to me, I akways connect + to + and - to - (has always worked)

. . .. which, as I understand it, is a common misunderstanding but not to be recommended!

Do a Google on 'start car jump leads' or similar, and see all the advice there. :thumbsup:

connect the neg to the manifold bolt on the engine

From the AA website:

Step by step

Before connecting any leads make sure the vehicles are the same voltage and that they're parked with their handbrakes on and ignition off. The vehicles must not touch as this can cause sparks or an explosion.
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Use the red jump lead to connect the positive terminal of the donor vehicle's good battery to the positive terminal of the flat battery.
    [*]Then use the black lead to connect the negative terminal of the good battery to a suitable earthing point on the engine or chassis of the other vehicle. This earthing point must be away from the battery and fuel system.
    [*]With both leads connected wait three minutes for the voltages to equalise before starting either engine.
    [*]Start the engine of the donor car and allow it to run for a minute then, with it still running, start the engine of the other car and leave both running at a fast idle for ten minutes. Do not remove the jump leads while the engines are running as this can cause serious damage to the electronics on either car.

If the jump leads get hot, then avoid a possible fire by switching off both engines and allowing the leads to cool.
    [*]Turn off the ignition on both cars and then disconnect the leads carefully in the reverse order to the way that they were connected. Be careful not to touch the clips against each other or against the car bodywork.
    [*]Start the car that had the dead battery using its own battery power. If it won't start this could indicate a more serious problem with the charging/ignition system that will need investigating by a professional.[/LIST]

Edit - I found the answer I was looking for..

- to earth on car
    is same as (in most cases)
    - to -

The reason you dont do it - to - is because the sparks can cause an explosion as batts leak out hydrogen gas... connecting it to an earthing point is only do get the sparks away from the batt. BUT is a similar possibility of this happening the same as the possibility of an explosion if you used ur mobile phone in the petrol station.. quite possibly..

Original Poster

thought i would give an update it worked YAY my little 1.2 93' clio jumped a 98' 2.6 injection rover LOL with a little bita smoke for some reason
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Fifa 18 web app Now active.44
      2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1930
      3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…3078
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7201356

See more discussions