Groups

Car help please :)

Ok, I cannot find my car keys anywhere. My question is, If I cannot find them after turning the house upside down again, how much is it likely to cost me to get new ones?

I have an old Renault Clio

Rep for any help

60 Comments

Have you checked the car door for the keys?

check the car in case you left them in there sorry cant help about new keys

u sure no-ones stolen them.........or you lost em outside of your house?

keep an eye on the car until you do find em or get a replacement

Original Poster

transit;6757969

Have you checked the car door for the keys?

Yeah, even checked to see if I had locked them inside, nothing :-(

I had a few bags last night and I don't know if I dropped them on the way into the house, or if the little one has gotten them and 'placed' them somewhere hidden!

Original Poster

ttwcd;6757976

check the car in case you left them in there sorry cant help about new … check the car in case you left them in there sorry cant help about new keys

Check there :-(

fps_d0minat0r;6757980

u sure no-ones stolen them.........or you lost em outside of your … u sure no-ones stolen them.........or you lost em outside of your house?keep an eye on the car until you do find em or get a replacement

I wish someone would just bloody steal the car, I might have dropped them but nothing has been handed in anywhere near and there is no site of them anywhere

check the bin, im serious

Original Poster

cribert;6758011

check the bin, im serious

I have :oops:

EDIT - not the outside bins though, but I watched them getting emptied this morning

with the little one check the washing maching, toy box or oven hope you find them i bet they turn up when least expected

you must be related to my wife:whistling:

was it shopping bags? check the empty bags, check where you keep you fruit everywhere!

sorry did you get bags out of the boot check the boot or under car

I used to live with someone that would throw money and keys in the bin...Put her phone and keys in the freezer when packing away food etc.....make a cup of tea...chill out for 5 mins...walk out and back into the house and just trace your steps.

Cost of replacement of course depends on the car - if it has built in immobiliser transponder it can get very pricey for a replacement :-(

Original Poster

ttwcd;6758039

with the little one check the washing maching, toy box or oven hope you … with the little one check the washing maching, toy box or oven hope you find them i bet they turn up when least expected

Have checked all of those places! I wish they would hurry up and turn up, I don't want to go out in the cold....

barky;6758045

you must be related to my wife:whistling:

:lol:

cribert;6758056

was it shopping bags? check the empty bags, check where you keep you … was it shopping bags? check the empty bags, check where you keep you fruit everywhere!

Checked the empty bags, nothing, I think I have checked the whole house, I had to come sit down before I just ripped the place apart!

damn! have u not got a spare?

Original Poster

ttwcd;6758061

sorry did you get bags out of the boot check the boot or under car

I checked the boot, and under it!

akme;6758066

I used to live with someone that would throw money and keys in the … I used to live with someone that would throw money and keys in the bin...Put her phone and keys in the freezer when packing away food etc.....make a cup of tea...chill out for 5 mins...walk out and back into the house and just trace your steps.

I am just trying to chill out now, it was last night last time I had the keys, feel like I have searched the whole house :cry:

aardvarking;6758067

Cost of replacement of course depends on the car - if it has built in … Cost of replacement of course depends on the car - if it has built in immobiliser transponder it can get very pricey for a replacement :-(

It's an old car, an S reg so hopefully it isn't that fancy!

If you do not know the serial number of the key, a tag is usually added onto the key ring when the car is new then probably the only way to get new ones is via the main dealer, who should be able to trace back using the cars Reg No. A new key cut at a high street locksmiths will be between £40 and £90 dependent if it's remote locking or not, and that will just be for the metal key, not for the remote lock part, so you would have to use it manually in the lock.

At a main dealer you could be looking at double that. If it's an old old clio, you might be better off getting a complete ignition switch with keys from a scrapyard.

Original Poster

cribert;6758079

damn! have u not got a spare?

No :cry:

Taken from another forum

"I have lost my renault clio key (with the clicker), only now have the spare key. I have asked at the Renault garage, and they say it will cost about £80.00 for a replacement."

Do you not have a spare set?

Original Poster

MrGrumpyman;6758095

If you do not know the serial number of the key, a tag is usually added … If you do not know the serial number of the key, a tag is usually added onto the key ring when the car is new then probably the only way to get new ones is via the main dealer, who should be able to trace back using the cars Reg No. A new key cut at a high street locksmiths will be between £40 and £90 dependent if it's remote locking or not, and that will just be for the metal key, not for the remote lock part, so you would have to use it manually in the lock.At a main dealer you could be looking at double that. If it's an old old clio, you might be better off getting a complete ignition switch with keys from a scrapyard.

I didn't understand a whole lot of that but I might phone the garage and speak to them, thank you :-D

akme;6758108

Taken from another forum "I have lost my renault clio key (with the … Taken from another forum "I have lost my renault clio key (with the clicker), only now have the spare key. I have asked at the Renault garage, and they say it will cost about £80.00 for a replacement."

akme;6758135

oh and once you find them..may i point out this old classic for future … oh and once you find them..may i point out this old classic for future problemshttp://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/sonic-keyfinder-keyring-p-1345.html

pghstochaj;6758139

Do you not have a spare set?

No

my sister has lost her car keys for a old astra but it has a chip in the key and she said it was gonna be £180 for a new set!

Original Poster

leilahfun;6758236

my sister has lost her car keys for a old astra but it has a chip in the … my sister has lost her car keys for a old astra but it has a chip in the key and she said it was gonna be £180 for a new set!

:cry:

an impromptu bonfire could be the only solution;-);-)

DISCLAIMER; for legal reasons i do not condone arson.

Original Poster

transit;6758311

an impromptu bonfire could be the only solution;-);-)DISCLAIMER; for … an impromptu bonfire could be the only solution;-);-)DISCLAIMER; for legal reasons i do not condone arson.

:lol:

Found my car keys in the freezer once after searching everywhere:oops: Worth a look if you haven`t already been there. Good luck,hope you get them.:thumbsup:xx

munnski;6758170

I didn't understand a whole lot of that but I might phone the garage and … I didn't understand a whole lot of that but I might phone the garage and speak to them, thank you :-DThanks :-DNo

You need to speak to Renault, I don't know whether that generation of system allowed further keys to be added without at least one original. Some manfuacturers allowed for it using the VIN number and proof of ownership, some didn't.

Original Poster

rosie2008;6758333

Found my car keys in the freezer once after searching everywhere:oops: … Found my car keys in the freezer once after searching everywhere:oops: Worth a look if you haven`t already been there. Good luck,hope you get them.:thumbsup:xx

I have looked there :oops: ( even though I hadn't been in the freezer! ) Thank you xx

pghstochaj;6758341

You need to speak to Renault, I don't know whether that generation of … You need to speak to Renault, I don't know whether that generation of system allowed further keys to be added without at least one original. Some manfuacturers allowed for it using the VIN number and proof of ownership, some didn't.

Aren't Renault just rip-offs when it comes to replacing things:? Wouldn't I be better speaking to a garage if I cannot find them?

munnski;6758294

:cry:

sorry, my sister has been walking everywhere for the past few weeks as she cant afford a new set yet, plus not sure if the car is worth the money that its gonna cost to replace them. Hopefully they will turn up soon, with littleones they could be anywhere i know my little girl will walk of with mine at the first chance she can!

This won't help with your car keys but years ago i lost my keys to the house while i was out. I had a three month old baby that had now run out of milk and nappies so i had to get in desperately. I retraced my steps about three times over, had my mother in laws house turned upside down. In the end i had to get a locksmith to let me in. I sat down with relief just grateful to be in my house when the bottom of my coat clunked on the wooden bit of the sofa. I felt the coat and my flippin keys had slipped through a hole in my lining, i'd had them all the time !

munnski;6758365

I have looked there :oops: ( even though I hadn't been in the freezer! ) … I have looked there :oops: ( even though I hadn't been in the freezer! ) Thank you xxAren't Renault just rip-offs when it comes to replacing things:? Wouldn't I be better speaking to a garage if I cannot find them?

Only as much as every other dealership. Unfortunately you have quite a specific problem - you don't have a set of keys to clone the immobiliser chip from nor do you have a pattern for the key cutting. If you had a spare, a locksmith may have been able to help.

It will be expensive, it's just whether it's £100 or £1000 that is the difference.

[QUOTE=munnski;6758365]I have looked there :oops: ( even though I hadn't been in the freezer! ) Thank you xx

It was a little visitor that put mine in the freezer:giggle: She was about 2 at the time. lol. I would never have looked in there but found them by accident when I went in for something:-D

as you say its an old renault clio i take it your key didnt have the blipper in the fob ? if it didnt & it was a plain old car key then it might be a trip to the scrap yard for a second hand lock set, if it did have the blipper in the fob then thats not going to be so cheap as it controls the immobilser to the vehicle.

Haven`t read right through hun, so dont know if anyone has mentioned your insurance? just wondering if your insurance would pay for your replacement car keys?

queenlush;6758392

This won't help with your car keys but years ago i lost my keys to the … This won't help with your car keys but years ago i lost my keys to the house while i was out. I had a three month old baby that had now run out of milk and nappies so i had to get in desperately. I retraced my steps about three times over, had my mother in laws house turned upside down. In the end i had to get a locksmith to let me in. I sat down with relief just grateful to be in my house when the bottom of my coat clunked on the wooden bit of the sofa. I felt the coat and my flippin keys had slipped through a hole in my lining, i'd had them all the time !

My husband phoned frantically from the abroad saying he couldn't find his car keys, rang everywhere he had been, check in desks etc., tipped his case upside down, emptied everything out, checked pockets, thought he may have left them the ignition in the car on the car park or slammed them in the boot, but no. On arriving back in England had to leave car and got a lift back from the airport (80 miles), got home, opened his case to show me they werent there and ta da there they were on top. Red face, apologies etc., Moral ... check, check and double check. Good luck

richp;6758452

as you say its an old renault clio i take it your key didnt have the … as you say its an old renault clio i take it your key didnt have the blipper in the fob ? if it didnt & it was a plain old car key then it might be a trip to the scrap yard for a second hand lock set, if it did have the blipper in the fob then thats not going to be so cheap as it controls the immobilser to the vehicle.

It certainly will have an immobiliser chip, it was an EU directive requirement from 1998 and Renault complied with this long before. Any new lock set would need either a new ECU or immobiliser ECU.

By "blipper" you normally mean remote central locking I assume? It is unlikely to be fitted (but model specific) and this would just add a further level of difficulty.

Another option is to ring the AA or RAC(assuming you have breakdown cover),
    tell them youve locked yourself out of the car,they will get in via the old coat hanger and at least then you can be sure you havent locked the keys inside,maybe the boot even?

pghstochaj;6758499

It certainly will have an immobiliser chip, it was an EU directive … It certainly will have an immobiliser chip, it was an EU directive requirement from 1998 and Renault complied with this long before. Any new lock set would need either a new ECU or immobiliser ECU.By "blipper" you normally mean remote central locking I assume? It is unlikely to be fitted (but model specific) and this would just add a further level of difficulty.

we've had the older renaults come through the workshop with just a standard key, no IR blipper, (the type aimed at the IR reader at the top of the roof by the interior/sunroof handle area.)

Original Poster

I am not sure what you mean by blipper? There was no central locking in the car and it was only opened manually...... :?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial711
      2. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay716
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764336
      4. word association Game72744172

See more discussions