Car hire excess insurance

LocalFound 21st May 2017
Hi
We are hiring a car from Glasgow for 6 days trip to Scotland. We booked through Alamo (which they said is enterprise). Now we want to book 0 excess cover.can you please provide some suggestion. Thanks
Community Updates
AskCarCar HireInsurance
10 Comments
We just used Questor for 6 days in Croatia , came to €15 using code MSE 25%.
dhanepud

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09HiWe are hiring a car from Glasgow for 6 days … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09HiWe are hiring a car from Glasgow for 6 days trip to Scotland. We booked through Alamo (which they said is enterprise). Now we want to book 0 excess cover.can you please provide some suggestion. Thanks\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

I used LeisureGuard, but just google this and you will get several companies which offer such cover for around £35 per annum, or about £20-£25 for the 6 days you need for this hire.

I would advise not using the hire companies zero excess cover as it will be very expensive compared to what you can get elsewhere. Another option is obviously not to get the cover at all, I mean how often do you have an accident or dent your car? All depends on your attitude to risk I suppose. I rented cars for a couple of years without taking out zero excess cover, but changed my mind this year, so it seems I've got a bit more nervous about damaging my rental car!
I've used bettersafe.com a few times in the past, seemed good value and had no issues with support.
Insurance4carhire is good too
Bettersafe
Better safe
Has anybody had an accident whilst using one of these excess policies?. If so how did the claim go?
Take pictures of the car before you drive it away, car place in Portugal tried to stiff me for €800 until I showed them a pic of the dent they said I'd done
I have previously used insurance4carhire, but there was one thing I discovered recently with many excess rentals, and that was that the insurance excess only covered rental cars up to 10 years old. I researched many different excess companies, including those recommended on the moneysavingexpert site (and trying to find those pesky small print details took a very long time!) and the only one that covered hire cars older than 10 years was worldwideinsure.com

This was important for me as generally to get a good deal I choose budget cars and many are older than 10 years old which wouldn't be covered in many policies. This may not be an issue if you always pick newer cars! The one I mentioned above does cover cars as long as they are not over 20 years old. The specific policy wording is as follows:

Rental vehicle means any one private car hired under a contract on a hourly, daily or weekly basis from a car
rental company during the period of insurance. The definition of a rental vehicle does not include;
a rental vehicle;
i. with a retail purchase price in excess of £50,000.
ii. which is over 20 years old.
iii. which has not been manufactured for 10 years or more

Just a consideration.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants