Car Hire Excess insurance - Great value £15.75 policy just saved me over £1000

Found 19th Oct 2012
I would like to recommend this company for car hire excess insurance. I have used them for about 5 car rentals and have had to make 2 claims.

carhire-excess-insurance.com

A European 7 day policy costs £15.75 which is much cheaper than the hire car company will charge you at the hire desk. The only downside is that the hire car company will charge your credit card for the excess and then you have to make a claim through the insurance company.

I was rammed by a mad French woman in Monaco and when I got home I received a 1300 Euro charge for the damage. I submitted my claim forms and have received a full refund, the only delay was in getting the damage report and invoice for repairs from the French hire car company. I emailed the documents to the insurance company on Tuesday and have received notification of payment today which I think is great service. What a relief,
Community Updates
MiscCarCar HireInsurance
19 Comments
A different question. Since you claimed 2 times out of the 5 car hire insurance rentals. Would you need to report that when registering or renewing your yearly car insurance? Would your yearly car insurance premium increase because you made claims in your car hire insurance rentals?
Original Poster
I did think about that when I was filling in the claim form but I don't really know the answer I suppose I will have to ask next time I insure. They do normally ask if you have had any accidents or claims in the last 3 years I don't know if this would flag up on their database or not, the insurance was dealt with by AXA.
You've crashed 2 cars out of 5.... !!
melcarroll

I did think about that when I was filling in the claim form but I don't … I did think about that when I was filling in the claim form but I don't really know the answer I suppose I will have to ask next time I insure. They do normally ask if you have had any accidents or claims in the last 3 years I don't know if this would flag up on their database or not, the insurance was dealt with by AXA.

Ya but the sound of it, you will need to report your 2 car hire claims. If something happens and your yearly car insurer found its not reported, they will do everything to not pay you if something happens next time.
You would need to tell any insurance company of previous accidents / claims. Don't think because it was a hire car or it was a company car /truck it won't matter. The question is always asked if you have ever had an accident or claim in the last x years. put no and you will get insured ok but try and make a claim and they will / could use that against you as you failed to tell the truth.
You're **** at driving.
Original Poster
kev_u8701r

You're **** at driving.

Quite possibly, but the first claim was a wing mirror knocked off by a passing car when the car was parked I wasn't even in it and the second was someone ramming in the back of me when I stopped at a Zebra crossing. So I think I was just unlucky.
Original Poster
punkstoner1

Claims on two hires out of five.Bad luck dude........I use … Claims on two hires out of five.Bad luck dude........I use http://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/It's about £55 for a year, worldwide cover and includes "close to home" rentals. Covers unlimited rentals....

This company also do annual policies for £45 Europe or £55 worldwide.
Original Poster
Ellie Phant

You would need to tell any insurance company of previous accidents / … You would need to tell any insurance company of previous accidents / claims. Don't think because it was a hire car or it was a company car /truck it won't matter. The question is always asked if you have ever had an accident or claim in the last x years. put no and you will get insured ok but try and make a claim and they will / could use that against you as you failed to tell the truth.

Don't worry I will own up. At least I don't have 2 claims to declare and a bill for 1300 Euros to pay.
melcarroll

Quite possibly, but the first claim was a wing mirror knocked off by a … Quite possibly, but the first claim was a wing mirror knocked off by a passing car when the car was parked I wasn't even in it and the second was someone ramming in the back of me when I stopped at a Zebra crossing. So I think I was just unlucky.

Now I'm wondering why are you responsible for both of the accidents? I am assuming the first was a hit and run, but what about being hit from behind? Why would your insurer be willing to pay for an accident that's clearly the other party's fault?
Edited by: "Slash" 19th Oct 2012
Much better to use a company like economycarhire.co.uk you avoid paying the excess anyway for what is around the same price as the others...
I have to say...can I join in the fun. Bloggers promoting sites all linked to generate traffic. How obvious is it that one is trying to plug the excess insurance website and the other is plugging in the rental car broker that is using same company that provides insurance excess.

They type of comments you make about a car hire excess product all sound like they are coming from a marketing brief.

I challenge you to present the valid documentation which says you claimed via AXA 2 times successfully and that you received payment in the amount of time that you did. Post it when you have results and prove me wrong about these products.
Original Poster
Slash

Now I'm wondering why are you responsible for both of the accidents? I am … Now I'm wondering why are you responsible for both of the accidents? I am assuming the first was a hit and run, but what about being hit from behind? Why would your insurer be willing to pay for an accident that's clearly the other party's fault?

I gave the hire car company all the details of the other party I took photos, I even had a witness and did a full statement but they still charge the excess then it is up to you to try and get it back I suppose I am an easier target than the other driver. In France you are supposed to both fill in an accident form and sign it, but I didn't have a form in the car and the driver said she didn't know what we were supposed to do.... so they were not sure if they would be able to claim as I didn't have a signed statement from her. Even with your own car insurance you have to pay the excess when it is not your fault then your insurance company get it back from the other persons insurer and refund you.
Original Poster
punkstoner1

And you had to pay a 1200 excess? The hire company I use would never … And you had to pay a 1200 excess? The hire company I use would never dream of doing that to me in a million years. **** disgusting. I presume you had the 3rd party's details?

Believe me I am a avid money saver I check every website for the best price with the best terms and factor in the cost of the extra excess insurance. Most people ask me to find a deal for them when they need anything like this.
I must of drove at least 20 vehicles abroad without crashing any

Car insurance excess.......meh.
Original Poster
MasterDisaster

I have to say...can I join in the fun. Bloggers promoting sites all … I have to say...can I join in the fun. Bloggers promoting sites all linked to generate traffic. How obvious is it that one is trying to plug the excess insurance website and the other is plugging in the rental car broker that is using same company that provides insurance excess.They type of comments you make about a car hire excess product all sound like they are coming from a marketing brief.I challenge you to present the valid documentation which says you claimed via AXA 2 times successfully and that you received payment in the amount of time that you did. Post it when you have results and prove me wrong about these products.

Yawn......... I just like to let people know when I have good service, it is your choice whether you believe me or not. I was going to post the email but it doesn't prove anything because anyone can type an email. If you check my other posts I have posted about other good service or products I have purchased. Thanks for the compliment about writing a marketing brief maybe I should change careers

Original Poster
transit

I must of drove at least 20 vehicles abroad without crashing any 8)Car … I must of drove at least 20 vehicles abroad without crashing any 8)Car insurance excess.......meh.

I hope you realise you have jinxed yourself now drive very carefully.
melcarroll

I hope you realise you have jinxed yourself now drive very carefully.

Just let me know when you're going abroad and i'll stay at home. X)
Original Poster
MasterDisaster

I have to say...can I join in the fun. Bloggers promoting sites all … I have to say...can I join in the fun. Bloggers promoting sites all linked to generate traffic. How obvious is it that one is trying to plug the excess insurance website and the other is plugging in the rental car broker that is using same company that provides insurance excess.They type of comments you make about a car hire excess product all sound like they are coming from a marketing brief.I challenge you to present the valid documentation which says you claimed via AXA 2 times successfully and that you received payment in the amount of time that you did. Post it when you have results and prove me wrong about these products.

I have just realised you think I am saying the claim only took 3 days to sort. That is not true the accident was in August and it took over 2 months to get the info from National car hire (not the excess insurance peoples fault). So the claim company had everything from me in the middle of August but could not process the claim until the info came from the hire car company. However as soon as I sent that through it was only 3 days to agree settlement does that sound more realistic to you?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions