Car Hire help - advice needed quickly

A close friend of mine has left it late in booking a hire car, requiring it Thursday in France. She is planning on visiting relatives in secret and needs the car to reach them from the airport. She is also visiting with her sister. Their ages are 23 and 27.

Whilst cost is obviously important, it is not the critical factor. It is more that neither of them hold a credit card, and all hire car companies seem to require a credit card for the deposit when arriving at the airport. Is this true? Is a credit card the only way? Is there any companies that would accept a debit card?

Any advice or pointers appreciated, as you can imagine they are organising this ASAP!

5 Comments

Not sure about France.....but in America (yes I appreciate the difference!!!) they wouldnt let my dad drive the hire car.....even though he had both parts of his (clean) licence, offered his debit cards, offered cash, and offered my uncles credit card details (who was there with us, and was the other person meant to be named on the car insurance)....they still declined soooooo good luck

Original Poster

lil_tiger;7431292

Not sure about France.....but in America (yes I appreciate the … Not sure about France.....but in America (yes I appreciate the difference!!!) they wouldnt let my dad drive the hire car.....even though he had both parts of his (clean) licence, offered his debit cards, offered cash, and offered my uncles credit card details (who was there with us, and was the other person meant to be named on the car insurance)....they still declined soooooo good luck

Not a good sign that. Wonder what is so special about a credit card instead of a debit card. I can understand why cash wouldn't be accepted incase of any recurring costs but there is a link with a debit card.

highguyuk;7431459

Not a good sign that. Wonder what is so special about a credit card … Not a good sign that. Wonder what is so special about a credit card instead of a debit card. I can understand why cash wouldn't be accepted incase of any recurring costs but there is a link with a debit card.

nah its nothing to do with the costs.....debit cards need authorisation to take a certain amount from the account.....so theres more risk, if you steal the car they will have a hard time recurring costs as they would still need your authorisation to debit your account. With credit cards you can pre-authorise them to take any justified amount (like in hotel rooms, its the same, they prefer you to leave CC details so when you have left they can charge you for minibar/roomservice etc).

I hate the society where people who borrow money (yes I understand there are other benefits of CC's but thats the main point of them....buy now pay later etc) get more respect than people who buy/spend to the level they can afford in the first place :x

To late now but for next time.
A pre payment credit card would do the trick.

Look here

moneysavingexpert.com/car…rds

Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I think they’ve admitted defeat. Gave Holiday Autos a ring as it states on their website some of their “rental partners” would accept cash or cheques – but their staff say otherwise.

There is other options, if only there were time. She left it to her sister to organise, and she did nothing until now. Unreliable!

Have left some rep for you all…
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2341
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763841
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415114079
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846060

See more discussions