Car Hire Italy (Pisa)

Found 9th MayEdited by:"agentjont"
Anyone have any advice or experience on hiring a car over in Italy? Flying to Pisa and need a car for 4 days to drive to a wedding and then explore a bit.

Any companies to avoid? Goldcar seem to be coming up with the best price for the size car we need with a 1 year old infant. Expecting to rent a car seat from them too.

Any advice welcome!

EDIT: Also, do people always pay for the extra chunk where it covers pretty much all damage? I did this when I hired a vehicle in NZ because I knew I was going offload - what a place to explore! But how strict have you found companies with damage like paint chips etc?
Community Updates
AskHome & Living
11 Comments
Avoid Goldcar. They will push you to get an extra cover once there and if you don’t take it, make sure you mark every single small scratch on the check in paper or they will charge you hundreds of euros. If you get a third party insurance you will have all the troubles to get the money back. Check Goldcar reviews on google. Terrible company to deal with. Hopefully someone will suggest you a good local alternative. Good luck
Car hire is a lot better now. Companies have cleaned up and cars are more reliable so small firms can be used

1. As Sydney871 says, read MSE and have a look at honestjohn.co.uk for advice as well
2. Buy excess insurance here before going. I pay £45 for a years cover
3. Seriously; be prepared to buy a car seat to throw away after the holiday. It may well be cheaper than hiring (unless you need an ISO fix seat by law).
4. Same goes for satnav.
5. Check the laws in Italy and anywhere else you drive. Fines and points now follow you home and the police make the agent do the hard work or pay the fine so they comply. I drove down a tram only street in Rome.

But most of all when driving away/back

6. At pickup, place the car in sunlight and video every panel + wheels. Check the tyres (INC THE SPARE). Spend time doing this so your record is complete with close ups that note ANY damage. Put a finger on the damage for sizing. If they see you doing this, they remember it. Add it to the pre hire paperwork and get them to sign it. I cant dtress this enough. Its your proof they damage pre existed your hire.
7. On return, video the whole car again, preferably in the presence of the agent. Your phone video is time stamped well enough to be used in a court of law.
8. Avoid key drop returns. Make them inspect the vehicle as well as letting them know you have before and after videos.

9. Renting on airport carries an airport surcharge. Downtown carries a premium. You may well save money renting in resort or a nearby garage.
10. Fill up the tank before returning it. They charge a fortune to do it for you.
11. Pay by UK credit card. You can hold the credit card company equally liable for defects (S75 rules)

(I worked in the euro HQ of one of the largest names for 6 years and rented their cars all over europe when on business)
Edited by: "ccnp" 9th May
Wow some great advice already.
Easyjet allow two large items for infants apparently so may just take our own car seat for the bub.
Ill keep in mind all that was said.

What is excess cover? Is that where I’d pay the costs of any claimed damage and then be reimbursed by the cover I purchased before travelling?
I've used Goldcar several times with no issues at all. The key thing is to take out their complete insurance, not some cheaper independant policy to cover the excess. I had a brand new Captur last month fully insured for £19 a day, I used the Click'n'go thing, so walk up, tap the app to open the car and away you go. No queues.
I'm not unaware of their reputation on the internet, so I always triple check the car/wheels/screen for damage and take photos. But, there again, I have had more arguments with Europcar over damage than I care to remember.
As for driving in Italy, no big issues. The cities can be daunting, but no worse than Birmingham or Manchester. Beware of the old historic towns and satnav directions. Often streets are poorly mapped or impassable.
Edited by: "airbus330" 9th May
As you exit the doors of Pisa airport, turn right and all the main car rental places are a short walk in that direction. There is a shuttle bus, but it'll be much quicker to walk the extra 400 metres than to wait for the bus.

Before you drive away, save your location on the sat-nav, it'll make it easier to drive back when you return the car.

We used Europcar, the woman that checked our car on return just had a quick look, nothing too close.

Lots of tolls on the autostrada, but the machines are easy to operate and you can change the language.

Buon viaggio.
Avoid goldcar. Horrendous queues and everyone forced to take out their extortionate excess insurance which triples the original quote.
Just to clarify my earlier post. I ment to say take Goldcars own comprehensive insurance out when booking the car on the Goldcar website. If you get persuaded to take it at the airport, then it is very expensive.
Edited by: "airbus330" 10th May
airbus33047 m ago

Just to clarify my earlier post. I ment to say take Goldcars own …Just to clarify my earlier post. I ment to say take Goldcars own comprehensive insurance out when booking the car on the Goldcar website. If you get persuaded to take it at the airport, then it is very expensive.

dubious insurance by the looks of it. What does 'possible damage is covered' mean? I couldnt find anything to explain this.

33773311-cJaDO.jpg
chocci1 h, 26 m ago

dubious insurance by the looks of it. What does 'possible damage is …dubious insurance by the looks of it. What does 'possible damage is covered' mean? I couldnt find anything to explain this.[Image]

Here you go:
Also, 4 days small car, all inc. no queueing is 172 euro in May.
Its not 'dubious' its the policy they want you to take to make money. The translation from a Spanish website is the issue here. Look, I'm not saying Goldcar are the best out there, but it is very noticeable that the high level of complaints are from people who have tried to cut corners with cheaper insurance options. What I am saying, is that if Goldcar gives you the best quote WITH all the in-house insurances, then, in my experience, they are fine.
33773851-5uxcw.jpg
Don't drive to Uk standards, driving laws are treated as more of a vague suggestion than enforced law.

Random Lane changes and tailgating are perfectly normal, abundant use of the horn is also normal. If there is a gap in the traffic expect it to be filled.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants