Car infested with spider mites, thanks to B&Q!

Found 19th Aug 2014
I bought 4 bags of B&Q bark chippings and a multi purpose compost yesterday from the local branch and when I got home I noticed little insects crawling all over the bark chips bags, I didn't know what they are but they do look like spider mites, not sure if spider mites like bark chippings or it was from the compost. Anyway after an hour in the car to get home I now have a the problem of how to get rid of these little critter out as they have migrated from the bark chippings/compost bags to all over my car!!!

I thought of releasing a insect fogger in the car but then realised that might set fire to the car lol... suggestions?
Community Updates
MiscCar
29 Comments
Maybe give your car a good clean out and hoover and spray with some repellent is what i would do anyway.
Use something like inspect spray and leave all of the doors shut. Once it has been in for 'x' amount of time make sure you air the car fully before using it.
I will do that, just need a good hoover as mines doesn't suck well and trying to get into the crevices where they like to hide is a bit of a pain, and insect spray doesn't bode well with my grandparents one of them have a breathing problem and I need the car to ferry them back and forth etc.
Spikeywikey

I will do that, just need a good hoover as mines doesn't suck well and … I will do that, just need a good hoover as mines doesn't suck well and trying to get into the crevices where they like to hide is a bit of a pain, and insect spray doesn't bode well with my grandparents one of them have a breathing problem and I need the car to ferry them back and forth etc.

May want to leave the hoover in the garage for a few days afterwards!
leave the car parked in the sun for a few hours
Take it to your neared petrol station and use one of the Car Vacs there - that way your vac wont get contaminated
Yuck!
I would take it to be professionally valeted then send the bill to B&Q head office!
AnnaMak

Yuck!I would take it to be professionally valeted then send the bill to … Yuck!I would take it to be professionally valeted then send the bill to B&Q head office!

do you think its b&q fault the op used an unsuitable vehicle to pick up garden supplies?
whatsThePoint

do you think its b&q fault the op used an unsuitable vehicle to pick up … do you think its b&q fault the op used an unsuitable vehicle to pick up garden supplies?

and what vehicle would you have suggested to use? Either would have got infected!?

I think it is B&Qs fault for selling the infected product, no?
AnnaMak

and what vehicle would you have suggested to use? Either would have got … and what vehicle would you have suggested to use? Either would have got infected!?I think it is B&Qs fault for selling the infected product, no?

do you see gardeners driving around in cars or pick-ups ?

would you rather they doubled the price to make sure no naturedly occurring insects were in anything they supplied?
whatsThePoint

do you see gardeners driving around in cars or pick-ups ?would you rather … do you see gardeners driving around in cars or pick-ups ?would you rather they doubled the price to make sure no naturedly occurring insects were in anything they supplied?

Do you work for B&Q by any chance?

Do you know the % of B&Q customers who are professionals only/ trade?
Most are not and use their own vehicles.

It is a responsibility of any retailer to have safe product!
Tesco also sells garden suppliers, do you think Tesco would sell any if only people in special vehicles would buy it from them!?
AnnaMak

Do you work for B&Q by any chance?Do you know the % of B&Q customers who … Do you work for B&Q by any chance?Do you know the % of B&Q customers who are professionals only/ trade?Most are not and use their own vehicles. It is a responsibility of any retailer to have safe product!Tesco also sells garden suppliers, do you think Tesco would sell any if only people in special vehicles would buy it from them!?

how is the product unsafe?

just because you can put a bag of compost in a car that doesn't make it the best way to transport it
whatsThePoint

how is the product unsafe?just because you can put a bag of compost in a … how is the product unsafe?just because you can put a bag of compost in a car that doesn't make it the best way to transport it

compost is in a properly sealed bag so nothing can escape or get in

Also it could be anything in that bag brought from any country in the world that escaped from it
Edited by: "AnnaMak" 19th Aug 2014
AnnaMak

Do you work for B&Q by any chance?Do you know the % of B&Q customers who … Do you work for B&Q by any chance?Do you know the % of B&Q customers who are professionals only/ trade?Most are not and use their own vehicles. It is a responsibility of any retailer to have safe product!Tesco also sells garden suppliers, do you think Tesco would sell any if only people in special vehicles would buy it from them!?

What's not safe about the 'spider mites'? Last time I checked I don't recall them being dangerous / venomous?
AnnaMak

compost is in a properly sealed bag so nothing can escape or get in

so now you are blaming the op for buying compost with damaged packaging
ipswich78

What's not safe about the 'spider mites'? Last time I checked I don't … What's not safe about the 'spider mites'? Last time I checked I don't recall them being dangerous / venomous?

We don't know for sure what it is, or what it could have been :P
AnnaMak

We don't know for sure what it is, or what it could have been :P

Good point! They might not be 'spider mites' and be something different altogether... Ooooh I wonder.
whatsThePoint

so now you are blaming the op for buying compost with damaged packaging

He didn't buy compost, he bought bark chippings which are likely to have holes in packaging, so anything could get in and it is the responsibility of B&Q to make sure their product is safe and good condition. I don't believe that extra infestation of whatever is good condition, do you!?
AnnaMak

He didn't buy compost, he bought bark chippings which are likely to have … He didn't buy compost, he bought bark chippings which are likely to have holes in packaging, so anything could get in and it is the responsibility of B&Q to make sure their product is safe and good condition. I don't believe that extra infestation of whatever is good condition, do you!?

so now you're saying they nicked the compost
AnnaMak

He didn't buy compost, he bought bark chippings which are likely to have … He didn't buy compost, he bought bark chippings which are likely to have holes in packaging, so anything could get in and it is the responsibility of B&Q to make sure their product is safe and good condition. I don't believe that extra infestation of whatever is good condition, do you!?

Unless the packaging is 100% sealed you simply cannot stop something getting in if it really wants to. We're talking about little tincy spiders here not an infestation of tarantulas!
ipswich78

Unless the packaging is 100% sealed you simply cannot stop something … Unless the packaging is 100% sealed you simply cannot stop something getting in if it really wants to. We're talking about little tincy spiders here not an infestation of tarantulas!

Would you have said the same if this would have happened to you?
AnnaMak

as you can't even see the op said compost in the opening line, I'm sure you wouldn't be worried as they'd go unnoticed anyway
AnnaMak

Yeah I would actually. I take responsibility for my own actions and don't always look to pass the blame on elsewhere (note this isn't aimed at the op). If you buy something to be used outside you take suitable precautions when you transport it. Ideally you would look to use a trailer / sealed container.

Edited by: "ipswich78" 19th Aug 2014
Sell the car and buy a new one. You could buy one that looks like a boat........I'll sell you one!
Spikeywikey

I will do that, just need a good hoover as mine doesn't suck well and … I will do that, just need a good hoover as mine doesn't suck well and trying to get into the crevices where they like to hide is a bit of a pain, and insect spray doesn't bode well with my grandparents one of them have a breathing problem and I need the car to ferry them back and forth etc.

excuse me?
you can buy sprays and powders for killing mites at Pets at Home, they are used for hutches and chicken coops so your gran should be OK

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, after a day at work and then a good couple of hours vacuuming the car and wiping down surfaces I think I done what I can to get rid of them.

mikey_d

you can buy sprays and powders for killing mites at Pets at Home, they … you can buy sprays and powders for killing mites at Pets at Home, they are used for hutches and chicken coops so your gran should be OK

What are the brands/names of these, as I might get one if they are safe to use around people.

Spikeywikey

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, after a day at work and then a … Thanks for the comments and suggestions, after a day at work and then a good couple of hours vacuuming the car and wiping down surfaces I think I done what I can to get rid of them. What are the brands/names of these, as I might get one if they are safe to use around people.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/searchterm?searchTerm=mite

check out the instructions to see what is safe, we use the poultry one for the chicken coop
AnnaMak

Yuck!I would take it to be professionally valeted then send the bill to … Yuck!I would take it to be professionally valeted then send the bill to B&Q head office!

Yes, I would also advise sending the bill to B&Q. It's not your fault this happened.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants