Groups

car Insurance

hi guys,

my car insurance up for renewal on 4 match. i m with Tesco and my renewal came around £930 but when i went on comparison site same came with Tesco around £866. so i cancelled my auto renewal. now when i am trying to get the quote again keeping all information same on comparison or direct Tesco is quoting £2400. how can a quote be 3 times in 24 hours. cheapest i am getting with some other insurer is £1300. Any ideas...

28 Comments

Normally quotes are valid for a time period , if £866 is acceptable phone tesco .. If not carry on looking .

The nearer you are to renewal date increases premium with some insurers.

I'm with Sky give them a ring for a quote, they're amazing on prices in my eyes. I've just got a quote on a Bmw m3 for £300 fully comp.
    Another one to try depening on the car is Greenlight, they only insure sporty car.

If you can't match it, tell Tesco that you've changed your mind and accept their renewal terms

had exactly the same problem. renewal came through for dearer than the comparison site so cancelled the renewal and guess what turned out to be over double with tesco when I went to take it out. Thinking maybe they do it deliberately. Good luck just go with someone else

nbgrobbo

If you can't match it, tell Tesco that you've changed your mind and … If you can't match it, tell Tesco that you've changed your mind and accept their renewal terms

​That doesn't work I'm afraid.

Original Poster

cliosport65

had exactly the same problem. renewal came through for dearer than the … had exactly the same problem. renewal came through for dearer than the comparison site so cancelled the renewal and guess what turned out to be over double with tesco when I went to take it out. Thinking maybe they do it deliberately. Good luck just go with someone else

​try that but they are not reinstating

Always take the policy to the "pay now" page I have read reports on various forums that when you get to the buy page and it does the final checks you get a different price come up. "Sorry your price has changed".

You should have bought the policy and then cancelled the renewal.

Now you are know what happens, next year you will be able to grab the deal and make it work for you!

this is gonna sound too obvious but whenever ive used comparison sites, i have to enter my email address at the beginning or even sign in, and once the search has finished the site not only saves the cheapest ones but they also email them to me ?
    ive yet to find a comparison site that doesn't do this so i would imagine you should have proof either on the site or in your inbox along with a reference number ?

Original Poster

lollypoplee

this is gonna sound too obvious but whenever ive used comparison sites, i … this is gonna sound too obvious but whenever ive used comparison sites, i have to enter my email address at the beginning or even sign in, and once the search has finished the site not only saves the cheapest ones but they also email them to me ?ive yet to find a comparison site that doesn't do this so i would imagine you should have proof either on the site or in your inbox along with a reference number ?

​yes i got the proof but the problem is that quote was valid for same day so they are not honoring same even though its only 24 hours difference
    Edited by: "shishiragarwal" 8th Feb

Do you have a female relative you can add to the policy, I had my partner and it usually takes a bit off even though she has no intention of ever driving the car.
    Have you tried looking at cashback sites? I normally look at the quotes on price comparison sites then see if the cheapest offer any cashback on tcb or quidco.
    Also don't bundle in legal cover or breakdown, they can be had for a lot cheaper. Not answering your question directly but all ways you could reduce the cost of insurance.

Toon_army

I'm with Sky give them a ring for a quote, they're amazing on prices in … I'm with Sky give them a ring for a quote, they're amazing on prices in my eyes. I've just got a quote on a Bmw m3 for £300 fully comp.Another one to try depening on the car is Greenlight, they only insure sporty car.

+1 Greenlight, they have been great for me the last 5 years, even when I had the car remapped and added another 60bhp and coilovers. (+even If I wanted to have a stage 2 remap it would not effect the cost +another 40bhp). This is on a golf GTi turbo. £300 all in fully comp and protected no claims, I do have over 10yr no claims tho.
    Edited by: "udhuk" 8th Feb

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture

Do you have a female relative you can add to the policy, I had my partner … Do you have a female relative you can add to the policy, I had my partner and it usually takes a bit off even though she has no intention of ever driving the car.Have you tried looking at cashback sites? I normally look at the quotes on price comparison sites then see if the cheapest offer any cashback on tcb or quidco.Also don't bundle in legal cover or breakdown, they can be had for a lot cheaper. Not answering your question directly but all ways you could reduce the cost of insurance.

​i am afraid thats all tried

Go Martins Money website, there is a load of different comparison sites to try. Mine went up with Tesco as well even though they did a great deal last year. Interestingly I added myself to my daughters insurance, I'm 52 and she is a first year driver aged 18 and it knocked off £600.

try 'elephant' have always been cheapest for us

Try NFU, they let you pay monthly and don't charge a ridiculous premium.

try quotemehappy if you haven't, beat my tesco renewal even with staff discount

developers

The nearer you are to renewal date increases premium with some insurers.

Just try changing the start date by a week later. Bet you save!

always do it in incognito mode
    the funny thing is that if you change the DOB by 1 day(!!!!) the premiums can be so much different that it doesnt make sense.
    Edited by: "mattsk" 8th Feb

Try looking for the same deals but through topcashback,

udhuk

+1 Greenlight, they have been great for me the last 5 years, even when I … +1 Greenlight, they have been great for me the last 5 years, even when I had the car remapped and added another 60bhp and coilovers. (+even If I wanted to have a stage 2 remap it would not effect the cost +another 40bhp). This is on a golf GTi turbo. £300 all in fully comp and protected no claims, I do have over 10yr no claims tho.

I left them for sky as they wouldn't insure me on a c63 or m3. They say you need Rwd experience!
    Give them a ring, say your a member on edition38 you'll get discount.
    Had a few Golf 25th Anni's over the years stll love the mk4 if that's what yours is? Or maybe the mk5

Toon_army

I left them for sky as they wouldn't insure me on a c63 or m3. They say … I left them for sky as they wouldn't insure me on a c63 or m3. They say you need Rwd experience!Give them a ring, say your a member on edition38 you'll get discount.Had a few Golf 25th Anni's over the years stll love the mk4 if that's what yours is? Or maybe the mk5

Good tip cheers and yes it's a mk4 AUM engine + K03s turbo. I'm really a mk1 & mk2 fan, had many many mk2's over the years. This is my first mk4 (gutless till the remap! now goes like stink lol)

I can understand the rwd experiance bit, a mate has just got a merc (his first rwd) and he gave it a boot full and swapped ends/direction last week and ended in a hedge lol.

Did you try Adrian Flux?

Edited by: "udhuk" 9th Feb

Original Poster

mattsokolinski

always do it in incognito modethe funny thing is that if you change the … always do it in incognito modethe funny thing is that if you change the DOB by 1 day(!!!!) the premiums can be so much different that it doesnt make sense.

yes i just make 1 day difference of my DOB and now its coming just £753 with Tesco only. Can i buy it and call them to change my DOB again? will that increase premium again? What are my rights of cancellation then as my policy wont start until 4 march

it definetely looks like Tesco is playing some kind of tricks as 1 day cant make insurance premium difference of £2400
    Edited by: "shishiragarwal" 9th Feb

mod

Spammed your duplicate thread shishiragarwal as this thread is active and you can comment in it

Original Poster

andywedge

Spammed your duplicate thread shishiragarwal as this thread is active and … Spammed your duplicate thread shishiragarwal as this thread is active and you can comment in it

​ok it was giving me error before

Original Poster

finally able to get it for £862 with Tesco only. thanks for all help

Try all the comparison sites and add very experienced drivers if you can . my dd added me and her dad to the ins and it dropped by about £150 quid!

shishiragarwal

finally able to get it for £862 with Tesco only. thanks for all help

glad you got it sorted
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Speccing a gaming pc22
      2. Kitchen tap replacement11
      3. Do you use a case on your iPhone?1212
      4. advice needed on dumbell weight training please33

See more discussions