Car insurance

Found 29th Sep 2017
Hi, my car insurance is due to renew on 15th October, however my current company are apparently not taking on new business or renewing any policies from 1st January 2017,so I am in search of a new provider.

My cheapest quote so far is coming up with Go Skippy, however reviews online are not the best. Just wondering has anyone here had a policy with them or have a review of their own? Or if anyone has any good reviews for other providers that I can check out?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
For the sake of a few quid go with a more reputable firm or you could regret it down the line. Just use the comparison sites. If you go the cinema a lot then the money you save with meerkat movies on comparethemarket.com could pay for your policy
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I've been on all of the comparison sites this morning, they all came back with the same quotes. My second cheapest quote is with Debenhams, tbh I didn't even know they did insurance. The higher reviewed companies are at least £40pm more expensive and an extra £100+ upfront
lilymac4 m ago

Thanks for the reply. I've been on all of the comparison sites this …Thanks for the reply. I've been on all of the comparison sites this morning, they all came back with the same quotes. My second cheapest quote is with Debenhams, tbh I didn't even know they did insurance. The higher reviewed companies are at least £40pm more expensive and an extra £100+ upfront

go to MSE and follow the steps
also once you get a quote you are happy with go to quidco/topcashback and see if you can get few quid extra. remember tho that you need to go directly via quidco/TCB and put the details again otherwise it will not work
I've had the same problem in the past - mainly when trying to find insurers for my kids as most of the major (household names) insurers do not offer competitive quotes for young people.

I found it very difficult to get honest reviews of an insurance company online - as most people will only make a comment if they have had a "disappointing" experience. Since you don't know who the complainant is nor their expectations I think you have to take them all with a pinch of salt. Most car insurers have bad reviews online - google "xxxx review" to see.

We've ended up using lesser known insurance companies (with supposed bad reviews) and never had a problem. Fortunately we've never had to make a claim (other than windscreens) - so I guess that has simplified our experience somewhat.
lilymac23 m ago

Thanks for the reply. I've been on all of the comparison sites this …Thanks for the reply. I've been on all of the comparison sites this morning, they all came back with the same quotes. My second cheapest quote is with Debenhams, tbh I didn't even know they did insurance. The higher reviewed companies are at least £40pm more expensive and an extra £100+ upfront

Try Quidco Comparison if you have not already. Also put an additional driver on your insurance if you can - a parent perhaps who has been claim free for 5 years and has a clean license.
Edited by: "Van1973" 29th Sep 2017
Original Poster
mattsk20 m ago

go to MSE and follow the steps also once you get a quote you are happy …go to MSE and follow the steps also once you get a quote you are happy with go to quidco/topcashback and see if you can get few quid extra. remember tho that you need to go directly via quidco/TCB and put the details again otherwise it will not work

Thank you, just checked out mse but I'd already tried everything they'd suggested lol
Original Poster
Van197310 m ago

I've had the same problem in the past - mainly when trying to find …I've had the same problem in the past - mainly when trying to find insurers for my kids as most of the major (household names) insurers do not offer competitive quotes for young people.I found it very difficult to get honest reviews of an insurance company online - as most people will only make a comment if they have had a "disappointing" experience. Since you don't know who the complainant is nor their expectations I think you have to take them all with a pinch of salt. Most car insurers have bad reviews online - google "xxxx review" to see.We've ended up using lesser known insurance companies (with supposed bad reviews) and never had a problem. Fortunately we've never had to make a claim (other than windscreens) - so I guess that has simplified our experience somewhat.

This is usually how I look at things too, also, quite a few of the bad reviews were from people who hadn't sent their ncb proof in on time and had their policy cancelled! My last insurer (octagon) had even worse reviews than go skippy but I've had an easy enough two years with them, and I've had to make a claim, never had a problem with them. Hastings were a few quid more a month but they didn't offer as much for their policy in terms of courtesy car, personal accident cover etc
I have two weeks left to find something, will have to keep searching
Original Poster
Van19738 m ago

Try Quidco Comparison if you have not already. Also put an additional …Try Quidco Comparison if you have not already. Also put an additional driver on your insurance if you can - a parent perhaps who has been claim free for 5 years and has a clean license.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else that drives (madness!) so the additional driver thing is a no go 😔 tried quidco comparison and for the exact same policy with go skippy came back £20 more per month than the quote with compare the market lol
lilymac10 m ago

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else that drives (madness!) so the …Unfortunately I don't know anyone else that drives (madness!) so the additional driver thing is a no go 😔 tried quidco comparison and for the exact same policy with go skippy came back £20 more per month than the quote with compare the market lol

Did you use the Comparison section on Quidco - not the link to Go Skippy ... quidco.com/qui…car I often find Quidco Comparison cheapest - especially for younger drivers.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone who has used Go Skippy comments on here. If you can't find anyone cheaper I personally would be happy to go with them - £40/month is a lot of money!
Original Poster
Van19738 m ago

Did you use the Comparison section on Quidco - not the link to Go Skippy …Did you use the Comparison section on Quidco - not the link to Go Skippy ... https://www.quidco.com/quidco-compare/insurance/car I often find Quidco Comparison cheapest - especially for younger drivers.It'll be interesting to see if anyone who has used Go Skippy comments on here. If you can't find anyone cheaper I personally would be happy to go with them - £40/month is a lot of money!

Yes it was the quidco comparison. I have a few friends who have said they've had no problems with go skippy so we shall see how it goes
lilymac19 m ago

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else that drives (madness!) so the …Unfortunately I don't know anyone else that drives (madness!) so the additional driver thing is a no go 😔 tried quidco comparison and for the exact same policy with go skippy came back £20 more per month than the quote with compare the market lol

Just add a friend on there it doesn't matter if they're never going to drive it. Also say you are cohabiting and the named driver is your partner. That can literally save you 50% in some cases. This information is something they have no way of clarifying and offers the best reduction in price.
I personally go on go compare and find a reputable company and then see if they offer cashback, if they do I go directly to there site and redo the quote and get the cashback. If a smaller firm is cheaper but let's say morethan is £30 more expensive but they offer £60 cash back I go with the better company solely for peace of mind of them not going bust and having to risk paying again for insurance.
The longer you leave it to renew or take out a policy the price goes up so try and buy a few weeks before or they have you by the boll**ks. Just my thoughts
Go Skippy are a broker as are Hastings , AA etc . Your insurance will be with an underwriter so any broker will be "safe" . I presume the reviews are for customer service not for selling a duff product .

Trouble is we never know how good /helpful a broker is until we need to claim and by then its too late as we have already bought the insurance . Go Skippy have been around a long time so I shouldn't worry about them .
Original Poster
Thanks all for your help
I've checked all the cashback and none of them make up for the higher policy cost iykwim. Go skippy is looking like my only option really.
I didn't realise the cost goes up the closer to renewal, thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah all the reviews were mainly customer service, though I did pop on their live chat earlier to ask a few questions and the lady was really nice and helpful.
Original Poster
Well, I've just gone back onto compare the market to double check all my details were correct and accidentally pressed get quotes. Now the go skippy quote has doubled even though I've not changed any of my details and it won't let me retrieve the earlier quote
Problem with comparison sites if the date for renewal or when you want policy to start from, if you are late sorting out renewal and need it in a couple of days, you are going to get screwed on prices.

To get best price always give it minimum of 2 weeks before you want policy to start.

You may find it better to go with a company who have decent cooling off period. Take out policy, pay first initial payment then go back onto site and requote yourself but make have the policy start date well in advance. Look at policy just taken, look at how long max you have to cancel and use the last day as start of your new policy.

You will find you can save over £100+ this way. When you dont give enough time before start date insurers take full advantage, happened with us on new house, strung out process and ended up agreeing exchange and completion date within 2 days notice and did both on same day, went to insure property, it was loads. Moved in, another comparison giving a good 3 weeks start date and saved £200
Edited by: "charleaward81" 29th Sep 2017
But welcome to the world of rip Off Insurances. They are more expensive this year than ever due to Government meddling rules in order to kerb scammers and those driving without Licences and Insurance, which gave way to insurance companies adding a set wack ontop of every legit drivers premium

Owning our other car for last 5 years we only managed one year to save anything and it was literally only £20. Been driving nearly 2 decades and never claimed once
lilymac36 m ago

Well, I've just gone back onto compare the market to double check all my …Well, I've just gone back onto compare the market to double check all my details were correct and accidentally pressed get quotes. Now the go skippy quote has doubled even though I've not changed any of my details and it won't let me retrieve the earlier quote

Have you not had an email from compare the market with Go Skippy identified as the cheapest option? If so that price should still be attainable. If not - is there a quote history on the site?
the cheaper quote should still be in your quote history
Original Poster
Van197325 m ago

Have you not had an email from compare the market with Go Skippy …Have you not had an email from compare the market with Go Skippy identified as the cheapest option? If so that price should still be attainable. If not - is there a quote history on the site?

Yeah I had the email and when I click on it to buy it takes me to the more expensive quote. I looked for the earlier quote in my history on compare the market and its only got the more expensive one and one I did a few weeks ago. Baffled!
Original Poster
However I've found the quote from one of the other comparison sites and that was roughly the same price though it had a higher excess which it wouldn't let me change 😔 so I've purchased that. Though on checking the documents it says I passed my test on 29.9.2011 when I put the correct date of 12.10.2011. So now I'm probably going to get charged for changing that
Original Poster
charleaward8139 m ago

Problem with comparison sites if the date for renewal or when you want …Problem with comparison sites if the date for renewal or when you want policy to start from, if you are late sorting out renewal and need it in a couple of days, you are going to get screwed on prices.To get best price always give it minimum of 2 weeks before you want policy to start.You may find it better to go with a company who have decent cooling off period. Take out policy, pay first initial payment then go back onto site and requote yourself but make have the policy start date well in advance. Look at policy just taken, look at how long max you have to cancel and use the last day as start of your new policy.You will find you can save over £100+ this way. When you dont give enough time before start date insurers take full advantage, happened with us on new house, strung out process and ended up agreeing exchange and completion date within 2 days notice and did both on same day, went to insure property, it was loads. Moved in, another comparison giving a good 3 weeks start date and saved £200

I might try this, thanks! It's crazy how expensive it is, I've only been driving for 6 years and it's only gone down £20 since then, when I passed I had a much faster/sportier/boy racer type car and now I've got a tiny 1.5 Nissan Note. It must be the area I live that's knocking it up
All the quotes I've ever had (off comparison sites ) say the quote is valid for 4-6 weeks , are you sure you didn't alter your or the cars details ? I have certainly never experienced that before .

Hastings come up best for me , last year they sent me their renewal quote - I compared ,beat it by 20% plus £50 cashback - and guess who the better quote was from ? Yes Hastings , same cover same car but a lot cheaper as I was a "new " customer .
Edited by: "rogparki" 29th Sep 2017
Original Poster
rogparki19 m ago

All the quotes I've ever had (off comparison sites ) say the quote is …All the quotes I've ever had (off comparison sites ) say the quote is valid for 4-6 weeks , are you sure you didn't alter your or the cars details ? I have certainly never experienced that before .Hastings come up best for me , last year they sent me their renewal quote - I compared ,beat it by 20% plus £50 cashback - and guess who the better quote was from ? Yes Hastings , same cover same car but a lot cheaper as I was a "new " customer .

Yes definitely didn't change anything, just hit the "get quote" button at the end. It has really Baffled me!

Does anyone know/remember when they changed the driving licenses back in 2013,did they send out new photo cards to drivers? Have just had a look at mine and it has the date on the back when I passed in 2011 but on the front where it says valid from it says 2013. This is baffling me too now!
lilymac15 h, 12 m ago

Yes definitely didn't change anything, just hit the "get quote" button at …Yes definitely didn't change anything, just hit the "get quote" button at the end. It has really Baffled me! Does anyone know/remember when they changed the driving licenses back in 2013,did they send out new photo cards to drivers? Have just had a look at mine and it has the date on the back when I passed in 2011 but on the front where it says valid from it says 2013. This is baffling me too now!

I'm sure if you call them they will honour any previous quote. You also could try deleting your cookies and retry or perhaps use a different browser. As for cashback, I found that the quotes always moved up by the same amount as the cashback I could earn when I went via quidco so didn't bother
lilymac18 h, 6 m ago

Well, I've just gone back onto compare the market to double check all my …Well, I've just gone back onto compare the market to double check all my details were correct and accidentally pressed get quotes. Now the go skippy quote has doubled even though I've not changed any of my details and it won't let me retrieve the earlier quote

It may be related to the photo itself they hold. The photocards are only valid for a period of 10 years after that you have to renew your photo
lilymac23 h, 35 m ago

Debenhams is the same as Go Skippy so is Asda car insurance all underwritten by Southern rock of Gibralter, The other firm involved is Elden insurance of Bristol. I insured with Debenhams last month and what a palaver of e-maling your licence and then you had to go onto the DVLA site and get a code that you had to sent to them for them to check your licence history. And if there are any mistakes they make you pay extra plus some people have then had their insurance cancelled by them and in doing so they then find it harder to get insurance with someone else because they have had been refused by another insurance company. Also their policy wont cover you to drive any other car under third party. Tell you the truth i wish i had not bothered insuring with them.
Original Poster
Just to update, I bit the bullet and purchased with go skippy. Documents came through with the wrong date on for when I passed my test buy after popping on to live chat it was all sorted, emailed a picture of my license and no claims proof and got a response after ten minutes to say it had all been sorted.

Just waiting for a call back now about the earlier quote as I tried again this morning and it came back even cheaper 😭 just waiting to see if I can get it changed without incurring a charge as atm my policy has £450 excess but the cheaper one has £175.

All in all though so far it's been a breeze.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants