Car insurance.

Found 11th Oct 2017
hi guys,

ive had insurance from jan 2017 and now im turning 21 in nov. how should i go about getting first car cheapst insurance?

i tried some websites get a quotes and it is mostly showing me £350+ per month for moat small cars? HELP!!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

Go on ALL the compare sites , be truthful , put your excess up to the max you could afford to pay if the worst happens . The excess you have is about the only thing that really significantly affects the amount you pay once your age ,experience , group of car and Postcode is taken into account (and I take it that is fixed ).

Some people have found that adding a "named driver" to your policy can somehow make it cheaper. Try adding your Mum or Dad as a named driver and see if it has any effect on your premiums . Its not "fronting " the policy is still in your name . Best of Luck -just keep comparing .
Edited by: "rogparki" 11th Oct 2017

As stated above get your mum and dad on the insurance. If it's a cheap car put the excess high, it will be irrelevant as it wouldn't be worth claiming anyway in most cases. If it's an expensive car then put an excess that you're happy with.

Also look at telematics as that will save a large chunk on your premium, Bell and Admiral offer a plug and drive product which only needs to be in there for 3 months.

If your parents have a car/cars ask them to do a multi car quote with you as they can just join from their renewal.

If you use low mileage, just put 7-8k down even if you're only doing 3-4k as it makes the insurance cheaper.

Parking on the street is generally cheaper than parking on a drive, however check both if you have a driveway.

Also your occupation is sometimes a big rating factor so try a few that are similar to your job (for example a doorman is really high but you can put bar staff which will be half the cost).

I’d say under £500 per annum for your first Insurance is bloody brilliantly. Most 21 year olds that don’t have a lot of no claims bonus and not many years driving end up paying over £1000...

bluep50 m ago

I’d say under £500 per annum for your first Insurance is bloody br …I’d say under £500 per annum for your first Insurance is bloody brilliantly. Most 21 year olds that don’t have a lot of no claims bonus and not many years driving end up paying over £1000...

£350 per month

Go on the mustard insurance comparison website.
Once you have given your details it only takes seconds to change things , like job title , car by reg. no. etc.
Some of the well known compare sites are blatant rip offs , however the internet allows this as long as someone pays the bill. Use a chuck away email and spare phone no. - some pester like mad.
Once you have a quote call up and try haggle. Beware some broker staff try and get MORE than web quotation ??

Edit you don't mention car value. I would start with a cheap low ins. group car and 3rd party fire and theft.
I don't understand but the insurance industry seems to want people to claim - maybe because they can hide their profits easier ??
Edited by: "zzzz" 12th Oct 2017

zzzz13 m ago

Go on the mustard insurance comparison website.Once you have given your …Go on the mustard insurance comparison website.Once you have given your details it only takes seconds to change things , like job title , car by reg. no. etc.Some of the well known compare sites are blatant rip offs , however the internet allows this as long as someone pays the bill. Use a chuck away email and spare phone no. - some pester like mad.Once you have a quote call up and try haggle. Beware some broker staff try and get MORE than web quotation ??Edit you don't mention car value. I would start with a cheap low ins. group car and 3rd party fire and theft.I don't understand but the insurance industry seems to want people to claim - maybe because they can hide their profits easier ??

times have changed most third party insurance is either just as expensive or more expensive than comprehensive, always worth checking.

Op everything you need is on MSE, not just for insurance but any financial information or advice.

moneysavingexpert.com/car…ers

"most third party insurance is either just as expensive or more expensive than comprehensive"
Yes I know, but I did say 3rd pty F + T
The fact that 3rd party cover is no longer available to most is yet another sign of the insurance industry cartel .

OP what insurance since jan 17 ?? If not in your name you will not get any NCB.
Edited by: "zzzz" 12th Oct 2017

OneGloveOnTheFence3 h, 49 m ago

£350 per month

When I first read the post I thought that's good, until I saw per month.

shadey122 h, 47 m ago

When I first read the post I thought that's good, until I saw per month.

Urgh. Sorry. Me too. I thought that’s lower than mine.

Don't know if it's still around but I did pass plus which gave me 1 years NCB. Was well worth the money
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions