Car Insurance

Posted 7th Apr
I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this one. I recently bought a new car and switched my comprehensive insurance over to it as my old car stopped working. That old car has now been fixed and is at the garage awaiting collection. My understanding is that although I have 3rd party to drive any car the car needs to have valid insurance in order for me to drive it. This leaves me with only the option of a temporary policy while I "dispose" of the car. Is my understanding correct or can it actually be driven just using the 3rd party on my comprehensive policy?

Many Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Even if you are allowed to drive other cars, the other car still has to be insured with its own policy for you to drive it
You need a policy on that car. You can only drive cars 3rd party where they have an insurance policy on them already.

Depends who your insurance is with they sometimes allow you to temporally insurance a second car for up to 30 days, but you can usually only drive 1 at a time
Thanks guys this was my understanding too. I'll have to fork out for a day or week policy.
"...policyholder is also insured to drive other vehicles not belonging to the policyholder, with owner's permission and insured for roadrisks elsewhere..." is the typical wording.
Continuous insurance regs may require an uninsured vehicle to have SORN.
Why not ask if the garage will deliver it back to you? That way it’s covered by their trade insurance.
*Be aware though, if you don’t have a driveway, leaving an uninsured car on the road will be an offence.
Another option would be to see if the garage are happy to keep it there for a week or so while you try to sell it.
But in answer to your original question, no, the car needs a policy of its own.
The car must have a policy on it for your third party cover to be valid. Try swiftcover.
Thanks for your answers guys. Much appreciated.
Phone your existing insurer and see what they offer. The worst they will say is no.

For quickness in the whole process. Will you get much for the car, would webuyanybagofboltsandripyouoff be of use?
Most insurers will offer short term cover for a second car at low cost to allow for your situation. Cost me £35 for a month when I last swapped cars. Ring your insurer, explain and ask what they can offer.
Edited by: "mas99" 7th Apr
mas9926 m ago

Most insurers will offer short term cover for a second car at low cost to …Most insurers will offer short term cover for a second car at low cost to allow for your situation. Cost me £35 for a month when I last swapped cars. Ring your insurer, explain and ask what they can offer.

Wil do thanks for this.
AndyRoyd2 h, 15 m ago

"...policyholder is also insured to drive other vehicles not belonging to …"...policyholder is also insured to drive other vehicles not belonging to the policyholder, with owner's permission and insured for roadrisks elsewhere..." is the typical wording.Continuous insurance regs may require an uninsured vehicle to have SORN.

A lot of policies these days, although fully comprehensive, do not cover the policyholder to drive other vehicles.

Information correct about the second car needing to have a policy.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 7th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions