Car Insurance.

Posted 11th Dec 2019
So I am unlucky enough to work in a social club so that makes my insurance rocket up a bit.
I'm 33 and this is my first car, it's a KA.

Any other ways of putting my job down that would be cheaper on insurance?

Thanks all.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

39 Comments
Age and address are the biggest factors, not occupation.
Maybe put the industry down as restaurant? Depends if they sell food
zuizide12/12/2019 00:25

Maybe put the industry down as restaurant? Depends if they sell food

We sell cobs on weekends
adamderak12/12/2019 00:03

Age and address are the biggest factors, not occupation.

My age and address doesn't change when I'm searching for insurance. But when I look at different jobs then it does. So job is biggest factor to me.
Jay08028612/12/2019 00:45

My age and address doesn't change when I'm searching for insurance. But …My age and address doesn't change when I'm searching for insurance. But when I look at different jobs then it does. So job is biggest factor to me.

Do you use your car to get to/from work, as part of any business activities for your employment, or do you leave it at home & walk (or travel by public transport) to work?
What quotes are you getting?
Sacredarts12/12/2019 01:10

What quotes are you getting?

£1011 with sales assistant ( for example )
£1300 with bar job.
Jay08028612/12/2019 01:12

£1011 with sales assistant ( for example )£1300 with bar job.

Ideally how much would you be willing to pay
You’ll have to play around with the job role to see if you can get anything cheaper. Another thing that impacts the price is how many miles you’ll be driving the car each year.
Although that’s a really good price considering it’s your first car. Also try a quote with direct line and other independent websites that aren’t on comparison websites since the sometimes give a competitive price.
Edited by: "Sacredarts" 12th Dec 2019
fanpages12/12/2019 01:03

Do you use your car to get to/from work, as part of any business …Do you use your car to get to/from work, as part of any business activities for your employment, or do you leave it at home & walk (or travel by public transport) to work?

Will probably drive to work now. It's a 2 mile walk and I would usually walk.
Sacredarts12/12/2019 01:13

Ideally how much would you be willing to pay

£1011 I've put down 3000 miles. I wouldn't expect to do more than that.
Also Admiral is the cheapest by far. There sister company is 2nd cheapest and they are around £200 more. Everything else just seems silly tbf.
Jay08028612/12/2019 01:17

Also Admiral is the cheapest by far. There sister company is 2nd cheapest …Also Admiral is the cheapest by far. There sister company is 2nd cheapest and they are around £200 more. Everything else just seems silly tbf.

Don't forget to check Aviva, Direct Line and Zurich - they're not listed on comparison sites and in some cases can be a lot cheaper.
fanpages12/12/2019 01:03

Do you use your car to get to/from work, as part of any business …Do you use your car to get to/from work, as part of any business activities for your employment, or do you leave it at home & walk (or travel by public transport) to work?

Jay08028612/12/2019 01:14

Will probably drive to work now. It's a 2 mile walk and I would usually …Will probably drive to work now. It's a 2 mile walk and I would usually walk.

However, if you do not, & you leave your car at home (because why wouldn't you if your place of employment is only two minutes away?), the car will not be outside or closer to a social club while you are at work &, hence, this may reduce the risk of it being damaged, or stolen.

Do you have a garage or off-road parking at home? If so, have you stated that your vehicle will be parked either off-road or in the garage overnight?
fanpages12/12/2019 01:32

However, if you do not, & you leave your car at home (because why wouldn't …However, if you do not, & you leave your car at home (because why wouldn't you if your place of employment is only two minutes away?), the car will not be outside or closer to a social club while you are at work &, hence, this may reduce the risk of it being damaged, or stolen.Do you have a garage or off-road parking at home? If so, have you stated that your vehicle will be parked either off-road or in the garage overnight?

Yeah I've got a drive it will be on.
SDP and SDPC makes a £70 difference. Which doesn't seem a lot considering it would parked where drunk people would be!
Illusionary12/12/2019 01:23

Don't forget to check Aviva, Direct Line and Zurich - they're not listed …Don't forget to check Aviva, Direct Line and Zurich - they're not listed on comparison sites and in some cases can be a lot cheaper.

Aviva and Direct Line doubled the quote from Admiral. Crazy!
Jay08028612/12/2019 01:57

Yeah I've got a drive it will be on.SDP and SDPC makes a £70 difference. …Yeah I've got a drive it will be on.SDP and SDPC makes a £70 difference. Which doesn't seem a lot considering it would parked where drunk people would be!

If £70 isn't a lot to you, then go ahead & commute to work.

How much is the excess for every time somebody breaks a side window, or removes a door mirror, or smashes a headlight?
fanpages12/12/2019 02:12

If £70 isn't a lot to you, then go ahead & commute to work.How much is the …If £70 isn't a lot to you, then go ahead & commute to work.How much is the excess for every time somebody breaks a side window, or removes a door mirror, or smashes a headlight?

Who said £70 wasn't a lot to me?
Jay08028612/12/2019 02:15

Who said £70 wasn't a lot to me?

I'd walk two minutes/miles [whatever] to work & two minutes/miles [pah] home again if it meant saving £70 (& not worrying as much about my car while I was working).

You didn't dismiss the idea, hence I thought you had £70 to spend.
Edited by: "fanpages" 12th Dec 2019
fanpages12/12/2019 02:20

I'd walk two minutes to work & two minutes home again if it meant saving …I'd walk two minutes to work & two minutes home again if it meant saving £70 (& not worrying as much about my car while I was working).You didn't dismiss the idea, hence I thought you had £70 to spend.

I would happily walk 2 minutes to work. But I can't walk 2 miles in 2 minutes.
Jay08028612/12/2019 02:27

I would happily walk 2 minutes to work. But I can't walk 2 miles in 2 …I would happily walk 2 minutes to work. But I can't walk 2 miles in 2 minutes.

Amateur.

Is a 4-mile 'round trip every working day worth £70, if that is a lot to you?

I'll let you decide.
Look and see if any of the insurers give a discount with a pass plus certificate. If so then check how much that would cost you to get. Even if it’s break even might be worth getting.

As for 3,000miles per year, is less than 58 miles per week. I don’t think that limit is very accurate. Possible but with a first car the novelty will likely have you doing more. Try 6,000 the difference will possibly be less.

Do you work late nights?
Is your job actually bar work mainly or any other tasks like waiting/clearing tables, event management etc?
Don’t lie, it will invalidate your insurance. However picking a role that covers your work closely is normally regarded as fine.

Do you have a parent/partner you can add. If you aren’t the sole driver, it can lower premiums even if they are not a frequent user. Do not put them as the main driver though, that will invalidate the policy.
I know it won’t help u now but in future get your insurance quotes 21 days before it’s due. It works out a lot cheaper. Also Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday are better days to get quotes. I assume this is due to the claims received at weekends.
Usually cheapest companies are admiral, elephant & Hastings direct.
Identify as a 27 year old female instead and price will probably plummet
.MUFC.12/12/2019 08:05

Identify as a 27 year old female instead and price will probably plummet

I already act like one so maybe it's a good idea.
Did you try the insurers that install a 'black box'?
If you go this route, check the t&c's as some restrict the time of day you can drive.
I'm a bit surprised with your premiums, I would guess that your Ka is a pre 2009 one which is Group 10 insurance, later ones are 3-4 which are cheaper to insure. We got caught out buying a cheap Fiesta which was old, but was in a much higher insurance group than its new version.
Try adding someone else as a second driver who had had a full license for some time, a parent for example
Bar steward.
If you have done a quote for 3000 miles, then that is likely increasing your price. The Goldilocks zone for mileage is 7-8000 miles, this is because if you’re driving very little you are statistically a higher risk driver.

Also add someone else on your policy, it would be best at your age to have a partner on there. If you haven’t got a partner or a partner that drives, try adding parents/friends on a quote (I wouldn’t add any more than 2 additional drivers).

Regarding your occupation, if you are bar staff then there isn’t much you can change that to. Make sure you add commuting to your policy if it’s being used to travel to work (this doesn’t normally change it much).

Also if you have house insurance (buildings/contents or both), get a multicover quote with Admiral. They will just quote it to join on the house insurance renewal (so no need to cancel). Make sure you get them to quote it off your best online quote for the car though.
Sacredarts12/12/2019 01:14

You’ll have to play around with the job role to see if you can get a …You’ll have to play around with the job role to see if you can get anything cheaper. Another thing that impacts the price is how many miles you’ll be driving the car each year.Although that’s a really good price considering it’s your first car. Also try a quote with direct line and other independent websites that aren’t on comparison websites since the sometimes give a competitive price.

My first year at 25 was £750 so £1300 doesn't seem great at 33.

I normally but 5000 miles but end up doing about 3000.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 12th Dec 2019
Have you tried the AA for insurance?

I was with Admiral for many years and moved to the AA as they beat Admirals renewal quote by about £80.

Fully comp and SDP but my AA terms state that SDP includes travelling to and from place of work.
You can try and have a look through cash back websites like Quidco etc. you can often get quite a good deal of cash back but it is important to read the terms and conditions to make sure you will get it. Every little helps..
Presumably you sorted the insurance as your other posts say you're now driving the new car?
Illusionary12/12/2019 01:23

Don't forget to check Aviva, Direct Line and Zurich - they're not listed …Don't forget to check Aviva, Direct Line and Zurich - they're not listed on comparison sites and in some cases can be a lot cheaper.

Plus Tesco Bank
fanpages12/12/2019 02:20

I'd walk two minutes/miles [whatever] to work & two minutes/miles [pah] …I'd walk two minutes/miles [whatever] to work & two minutes/miles [pah] home again if it meant saving £70 (& not worrying as much about my car while I was working).You didn't dismiss the idea, hence I thought you had £70 to spend.

Big difference between 2 min walk n 2 miles, especially in poor weather.
Oneday7712/12/2019 07:09

Look and see if any of the insurers give a discount with a pass plus …Look and see if any of the insurers give a discount with a pass plus certificate. If so then check how much that would cost you to get. Even if it’s break even might be worth getting. As for 3,000miles per year, is less than 58 miles per week. I don’t think that limit is very accurate. Possible but with a first car the novelty will likely have you doing more. Try 6,000 the difference will possibly be less. Do you work late nights? Is your job actually bar work mainly or any other tasks like waiting/clearing tables, event management etc? Don’t lie, it will invalidate your insurance. However picking a role that covers your work closely is normally regarded as fine. Do you have a parent/partner you can add. If you aren’t the sole driver, it can lower premiums even if they are not a frequent user. Do not put them as the main driver though, that will invalidate the policy.

It would most likely lower premium for some where between 4-6k mileage bit sure if it's ok if you drive less.
MynameisM12/12/2019 17:42

Big difference between 2 min walk n 2 miles, especially in poor weather.

Yes, we discussed that in the early hours of this morning. Thanks for playing, though.
Try by miles insurance, A family member got a good price. You pay like £500 start cost and then around 10 p per mile.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions