Car insurance

Posted 14th Jun 2020
It is that time of the year again, car insurance renewal. I would like to ask the community what is the most important thing to consider when you renew your car insurance? Is it the price? Familiar brands? Legal protection? Breakdown cover? Protection from uninsured drivers (if I have legal cover, wouldn't that help me to go after the uninsured driver?). I'm asking is because I didn't make a claim this year but my premium still went up. So time to look around I guess.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Your insurance will go up until you phone them and they will magic a discount once you tell them how much you can get it by a comparison site....
26 Comments
Price , all policies offer legal etc..
Have a look at Bymiles.
Second year with them now.
You pay a fully comp parked fee including protected bonus and hire car etc.
Then a per mile charge capped at 150 miles a day.
9y no claims on a Peugeot 5008, First year in London was £171.00 + 3.2p a mile
I got £20.00 credit to join and in total I paid £42.59 for mileage.
You are billed like a mobile contract at the end of the month for mileage.
If you get a referral you both get £50 credit.
Second year is £215 plus 4.5p a mile. doing 3000 miles it will be around £350 for the year
Even when you do not make a claim your policy always increases. You should go onto a comparison website and the few that don’t appear on comparison websites (direct line etc) to see what your best quote is. I tend to go with a company that I have heard of. I also go back to my insurance company to give them a chance to price match, and yes it does work I have been with the AA insurance for a few years now and they have price matched every time. Hope this helps
You put a miles tracker in your cars OBD2 port to track milage.
Also shows were the car is if stolen
I open a new one with Tesco car insurance it was cheaper doing it that way than renewing it
I do 6 vehicles a year for the whole household which is a lot of time spent finding the cheapest/best cover. All I have learnt is that there is little predictability for vehicle insurance. Sometimes the renewal quote is best, sometimes a screen scraper saves you 00's. Black Boxes only reduce price sometimes. Details like occupation can be tweaked to reduce the price. Declaring a low annual mileage sometimes increases the premium! The latest small print weeze is some policies specifically say if you have an accident while over the DD limit cover is cancelled. Its a minefield.
Your insurance will go up until you phone them and they will magic a discount once you tell them how much you can get it by a comparison site....
Apparently the best time to look is 20-26 dats before renewing. I go through Money Saving Expert as they have an order of comparison sites for best results.
Just tried the Mymiles site for a quote on Focus with me and son as drivers. Sadly no good if you have a driver under 25. Approx. twice as expensive as my current renewal.
bigwheels14/06/2020 08:07

Have a look at Bymiles.Second year with them now.You pay a fully comp …Have a look at Bymiles.Second year with them now.You pay a fully comp parked fee including protected bonus and hire car etc.Then a per mile charge capped at 150 miles a day.9y no claims on a Peugeot 5008, First year in London was £171.00 + 3.2p a mileI got £20.00 credit to join and in total I paid £42.59 for mileage.You are billed like a mobile contract at the end of the month for mileage.If you get a referral you both get £50 credit.Second year is £215 plus 4.5p a mile. doing 3000 miles it will be around £350 for the year

Sorry but at 350 o can get 10k and business with direct line for me and my partner on one car....
mtsk14/06/2020 09:17

Sorry but at 350 o can get 10k and business with direct line for me and my …Sorry but at 350 o can get 10k and business with direct line for me and my partner on one car....

So could I at my old address, But SE postcode is a killer.
suejb214/06/2020 09:02

Apparently the best time to look is 20-26 dats before renewing. I go …Apparently the best time to look is 20-26 dats before renewing. I go through Money Saving Expert as they have an order of comparison sites for best results.

100% this. I saved an absolute fortune because I followed MSE advice. Well worth it moneysavingexpert.com/car…ce/
I’m with aviva....have been the last couple of years as always have the cheapest renewal quote every year for me...that’s what I look for with my car insurance is a cheaper price annually.
bigwheels14/06/2020 08:10

You put a miles tracker in your cars OBD2 port to track milage.Also shows …You put a miles tracker in your cars OBD2 port to track milage.Also shows were the car is if stolen

That obd tracker will be thrown out the window the minute its stolen, the car is started via the same port if they dont steal the keys.
They will find it even if they steal the keys unless they're not good at their craft, my old work place ( car hire ) used to put 2 trackers in high value cars, one behind glove box for easy finding to trick the thieves into thinking theyve found it and another very well hidden in rear side panels. Many of the cars were stolen and both trackers removed shortly after, they have some kind of locating device
clarryd14/06/2020 08:10

Even when you do not make a claim your policy always increases. You should …Even when you do not make a claim your policy always increases. You should go onto a comparison website and the few that don’t appear on comparison websites (direct line etc) to see what your best quote is. I tend to go with a company that I have heard of. I also go back to my insurance company to give them a chance to price match, and yes it does work I have been with the AA insurance for a few years now and they have price matched every time. Hope this helps

I do this apart from giving my current insurance a chance to match / better the quote.

It annoys me that they haven’t given me their best quote in the first instance and will then usually only match an offer from a competitor so I just switch to the best offer an when they ask why at cancellation just tell them that their quote was beaten
Bobster-cyw14/06/2020 09:37

I do this apart from giving my current insurance a chance to match / …I do this apart from giving my current insurance a chance to match / better the quote.It annoys me that they haven’t given me their best quote in the first instance and will then usually only match an offer from a competitor so I just switch to the best offer an when they ask why at cancellation just tell them that their quote was beaten

Glad someone else does the same, their chance to do the right thing and keep my business was once they sent the renewal quote out, after that they have zero chance of renewal
bigwheels14/06/2020 08:07

Have a look at Bymiles.Second year with them now.You pay a fully comp …Have a look at Bymiles.Second year with them now.You pay a fully comp parked fee including protected bonus and hire car etc.Then a per mile charge capped at 150 miles a day.9y no claims on a Peugeot 5008, First year in London was £171.00 + 3.2p a mileI got £20.00 credit to join and in total I paid £42.59 for mileage.You are billed like a mobile contract at the end of the month for mileage.If you get a referral you both get £50 credit.Second year is £215 plus 4.5p a mile. doing 3000 miles it will be around £350 for the year

That sounds like the worst insurance ever. Imagine not knowing how much your insurance is going to cost. Based on your figures I would have to pay £360 on top of the £215 just for doing 8,000 miles per year. Which isn't even a lot of mileage. No thanks. May be good if you do 1000 miles per year but for your average Joe that's ridiculous
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 14th Jun
I got Tesco car insurance for 195 the year
MonkeyMan9014/06/2020 10:22

That sounds like the worst insurance ever. Imagine not knowing how much …That sounds like the worst insurance ever. Imagine not knowing how much your insurance is going to cost. Based on your figures I would have to pay £360 on top of the £215 just for doing 8,000 miles per year. Which isn't even a lot of mileage. No thanks. May be good if you do 1000 miles per year but for your average Joe that's ridiculous

Its good for low milage drivers, My quotes for an SE postcode were £720 with 3000miles or £750 with 8000miles.
Those were the best quotes I could get after a whole day online following MSE tips.
I'm thinking the lowest price, because car insurance is car insurance?
Everyone's situation is different, not sure if they are applicable to you
Insurance is cheaper around 3 weeks before renewal rather then leaving it till last min.
s_dusara14/06/2020 07:59

Price , all policies offer legal etc..

Thats so not true, almost all dont include that now
niconelove14/06/2020 17:56

Thats so not true, almost all dont include that now

"Offer" and "include" are two dissimilar terms.
Mark_Hickman14/06/2020 09:30

That obd tracker will be thrown out the window the minute its stolen, the …That obd tracker will be thrown out the window the minute its stolen, the car is started via the same port if they dont steal the keys.They will find it even if they steal the keys unless they're not good at their craft, my old work place ( car hire ) used to put 2 trackers in high value cars, one behind glove box for easy finding to trick the thieves into thinking theyve found it and another very well hidden in rear side panels. Many of the cars were stolen and both trackers removed shortly after, they have some kind of locating device

My Aviva quote is twice as much as anyone else despite being retired with 50 years NCD doing 2,000 miles per year and parking on my drive.
I quoted around for the first time in years on my houser insurance (silly me) and got better cover for half the price (and cacashback).....WIN,WIN!
rimalpatel00714/06/2020 16:41

Everyone's situation is different, not sure if they are applicable to you

I agree but car insurance is car insurance right? Cover to payout to yourself and the other party in the event of an accident?
Post a comment
@
    Text