Groups
    EXPIRED

Car Insurance

I just passed m driving test, I'm 19 y/o and I would like to know if anyone has any experience/knows of the cheapest (but pretty good) car insurer.

The cheapest I have upto now is the Post Office and it is:

£1555.47 lump sum
    Excess: £250

Monthly: £137.58 for 10 months + £312.69 deposit
    £1688.49

I am pricing on a R reg Ford KA.

27 Comments

my son of 20 past his test last year, and the cheapest for him was tesco, but my advice it to have a look on the web comparison sites, but try tesco first and work from there.

When I passed at 17, (2yrs ago) lloyds tsb were the cheapest at £800!!

Try ]confused.com & check if any of those top quote insurers are in Quidco to save further (need to do a separate quote via Quidco in the latter case).

nat88

When I passed at 17, (2yrs ago) lloyds tsb were the cheapest at £800!!

Welcome to HUKD nat88

Banned

I just used AA and they were the best of the comparison sites.

I found [url]www.moneysupermarket.com/insurance[/url] the best comparison site.

Norwich union do a young persons insurance, but there are driving restrictions. However use the old chestnut and get your parents to put you as a named driver on their insurance.

Banned

i asked this the other week, and people advised me on quinn direct

My first policy when I was 17 was with Endsleigh and they were a lot cheaper than the competition as they offered young person/student discounts. Was a few years ago but might be worth a look anyway. I think I paid something like £1900 for a 3 yr old Vauxhall Astra .

Banned

i was quoted £1400 for my clio 1997 from churchill and im 17

Do Pass Plus (it's count's as 1 years NCB with alot of big name insurance companys)

we these your best ringing around, a company that was the cheapest one year might no be the cheapest the next. i passed my driving test 6 years ago got a H reg fiesta and paid like £800 i also got a quote for £2400 on the same car also did my pass plus, think it knocked about £300 off or 30% something like that

Insurance companies go by firstly your age,females get it cheaper, where you live ive recently moved and my insurance went down how bazzar cause a week after we moved in my partners ladders was stolen off his car. what car you have (apparantly fiat panda is cheapest to insure)

how? where? how much? dus a pass plus scheme cost?

My daughter is 17... her insurance is with Quinn....very cheap!

look no further than kwik fit if your're a young male driver, 0 years no claims worked out as £1300 on a Citroen C2 05 plate, this year 1 years no claims same car £650 bargain and i'm 20

Banned

Try Swift Cover. Is all online, as in you print your documents off yourself, so u don't pay any extra admin costs

Look at the artice on moneysavingexpert good info on there,

moneysavingexpert.com/ins…nce

Try all the sites everyone has diff insurers that are cheaper for them. For example even living in the same house it is not necessay the same insurer will be cheapest for 2 cars.

Also once you have a quote if they are through quidco work out the price diff, then phone them up and lie a bit saying another insurer has offered you a cheaper quote be a little realistic if you quotes are £1000 dont say £500 try £900 or £875 at a push. Don't lie about your car too reduce the price (lots of people do it) if anything does happen and the insurers find out they may not pay out.

Also look at adding older drivers and being a named driver if that makes your insurance cheaper. Check do you need it for SDP or SDP&C or business class etc. Also check what is offered ie courtesy car, legal cover, do you really need your insurance policy to cover you to drive other cars 3rd party. As a new driver this can add quite a lot on, I would recommend legal cover and courtesy car.

Finally remember to check the excess that you will have to pay, don't forget most insurers have a compulsary amount plus the voluntary amount so it could be say £200 compulsary for fire&theft + £400 voluntary. Now if your car is only worth £1000 you are paying a £600 excess is it worth it?

The best way is to spend half a day shopping round. Once you think you have a good quote as someone who has a lot of exp to help you go over so you understand all the parts if you don't know them.

Most driving instructors do PassPlus courses - they are supposed to be 6 hours covering night-time, bad weather, motorways etc and can range in price quite drastically from instructor to instructor. Try the DIA website or ADI forum and you should be able to find someone near you and get prices.
    My hubby is an instructor and passplus registered. He is franchised with the AA and they recommend £4ph more than the going lesson rate but the instructors can charge what they like as long as it's no more than their price. Although working privately he doesn't charge that much as that would make the top price across his areas £27.50ph !!!

Remember most insurance companies will only give money off if you have pass plus if you are going to be first driver. Also if you have had your license over a year it is of no help with almost all the companies. As by then they deem you should have enough road exp to negate a the extra hrs pass plus gives you.

You can't complete pass plus until you have passed your test as one of the lessons is motorway driving and until you have passed you cannt odrive on a motorway.

i think you're a fool not to the passplus. You can do it in a single day and the amount of money you save is insane as a new driver.

There is no reason not to do, unless you like paying more for stuff.

lol, but if u hav 2 be firs driver for the passplus to count then i'm not sure ...

Banned

why dont you get a quote through quidco and them get your insurance through quidco for some money back,

ranjadaganja

Try Swift Cover. Is all online, as in you print your documents off … Try Swift Cover. Is all online, as in you print your documents off yourself, so u don't pay any extra admin costs

i'm 25 and only just passed, quoting a 99 focus 1.4..

just tried swift, over £1200!!! , admiral/direct line quoted me £67 a month for the same cover

Just want hear your opinions on whether protected NCB and legal fees cover are worth having on a car insurance policy?

My quote without either is £422 and the quote with both included is £516. Almost £100 and 25% more!

If I have protected NCB and make a claim, does that mean I'm "stuck" with the current insurer because I paid the protected NCB premium to them and they will be the only one who will "recognise" it.

BTW, these quotes are from Prudential Car Insurance and you can get £130 cash back via Quidco. So my insurance is potentially only £292 or £386 for a 52 Civic Type-R. I'm 28 with 5 years NCB though. :P

Hi I have just finished my pass plus cost me £150 for the six hours Im still looking for a car so don't know if it has saved me yet but Im sure it will It saved my friend £300 on his insurance and some councils you can claim half the cost of your pass plus back L@@k here for details if your local council do so... passplus.org.uk/spo…asp

I am so glad to be a girl, my highest insurance was 550...as a learner in my own car. I think that was through insureandgo...but I highly recommend confused.com...Went down to 320 the next year.

When i passed at 18, my best quote came to £3500. i'm 21 now, and its still £1300. lol.. don't understand how you guys get so cheap quotes?!

greyster

i think you're a fool not to the passplus. You can do it in a single day … i think you're a fool not to the passplus. You can do it in a single day and the amount of money you save is insane as a new driver.There is no reason not to do, unless you like paying more for stuff.

Actually a broad statement which is not accurate. As after I first passed I was not going to be a first driver i.e. was a named driver on another car the pass plus would not have saved me any money therefore I saved the cost of doing it without being penalised.

So the fool might be in not doing the research and just shelling out for things because of what you think you know.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Problem with new double glazed installation1010
      2. Recommend a free reminder app79
      3. BT Sport Vs SkySports23
      4. Replacement LCD for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro22

See more discussions