Car insurance - any secret places to try out?

Found 28th Sep 2017
So my car insurance is due for renewal, last year paid 320 (cashback included). Now same car, same circumstances only extra year of NCD (4yrs in total) and best I get is 410 (without cashback).
Tried usual MSE stuff (meerkat, gocompare, confused, moneysupermarket, directline, aviva)
tried adrianflux (they were one of the most expensive but was unable to get in touch with the provider they transferred me to)

anything else I should try?
TIA

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

That's cheap, I pay 2 grand bro

No I think you have just about covered it . Of course always go back to your current insurer saying "I've got a quote from xxx for £xxx ,same policy same excess can you match it " ? Then modify your quotes by the TCB/Quidco available and you have done all you can do .

Wish all folks would do the same ,then we might get some sort of loyalty bonus from the insurance companies . Sadly not at the moment . Their business model is to give 20%-30% "introductory discount " to new customers - so if you renew after a year you'll be paying more even if you have an extra years NCB and are a year older .

You simply have to compare every year (as you have done ) and switch every year , same with utilities and home insurance they are all the same .

I feel sorry for those not on the internet (elderly mainly ) who trust their Insurance provider to give them a good deal for their loyalty over many years - they just get ripped off

Try google comparison if you haven't already, same provider but cheaper then money supermarket for me last year

Try direct line, worked out cheapest for me this year

Can't tell you - its a secret place.

Try LV (LiverpoolVictoria) been with them for years now and even with their reminders every year, I still go on their web site to put all my details in again and it nearly always comes back with a few quid cheaper than the reminder they send!

Try putting someone else down as a named driver, this used to save me a good amount when I was younger, I added my mum although she didn't drive the car. They need to have clean license. I found once I hit 30 it didn't make much difference so it depends on your age. I'm on my wife's policy, it bought hers down a decent amount. It's quick and easy to try online too.

I often find Quidco Compare offers cheaper deals than the other comparison websites - worth a try.

Agree with dirty_stan - add an additional driver, someone in the 40-50's, accident free for 5 years with a clean licence.

Original Poster

dirty_stan11 h, 19 m ago

Try putting someone else down as a named driver, this used to save me a …Try putting someone else down as a named driver, this used to save me a good amount when I was younger, I added my mum although she didn't drive the car. They need to have clean license. I found once I hit 30 it didn't make much difference so it depends on your age. I'm on my wife's policy, it bought hers down a decent amount. It's quick and easy to try online too.

that would be nice but I have no one to put down and I'm over 30 for some time now
Edited by: "mattsk" 29th Sep 2017

dirty_stan19 h, 36 m ago

Try putting someone else down as a named driver, this used to save me a …Try putting someone else down as a named driver, this used to save me a good amount when I was younger, I added my mum although she didn't drive the car. They need to have clean license. I found once I hit 30 it didn't make much difference so it depends on your age. I'm on my wife's policy, it bought hers down a decent amount. It's quick and easy to try online too.

No one believes me when I tell them this

Original Poster

4Real20161 h, 25 m ago

No one believes me when I tell them this

This won't work anymore since premium for older drivers have increased by 15-20% in May. And as said earlier wouldn't have anyone to put down. However I've tried to put a random person just to check and it only increased my premium
Edited by: "mattsk" 29th Sep 2017

mattsk30 m ago

This won't work anymore since premium for older drivers have increased by …This won't work anymore since premium for older drivers have increased by 15-20% in May. And as said earlier wouldn't have anyone to put down. However I've tried to put a random person just to check and it only increased my premium

It has nothing to do with premiums, its all about reducing risk for the insurance companies, your not driving the car 100% of the time, that's how it's assessed.

Mine was £500 going up to £600 even wit an extra year, did a quote with esure and it was just under £400, that was cheaper than I found elsewhere.

Have you tried putting down a different job title?
Not a lie, but a variation.
For example, computer supervisor rather than IT manager.

Original Poster

4Real20161 h, 50 m ago

It has nothing to do with premiums, its all about reducing risk for the …It has nothing to do with premiums, its all about reducing risk for the insurance companies, your not driving the car 100% of the time, that's how it's assessed.

stop living in dark ages, petrolprices.com/new…rs/

older drivers always had lower premiums, now suddenly an increase? based on what?

Destard34 m ago

Have you tried putting down a different job title?Not a lie, but a …Have you tried putting down a different job title?Not a lie, but a variation.For example, computer supervisor rather than IT manager.

That's true, I changed mine from food manufacturers to bakery which is true and got about 20% reduction.

mattsk12 h, 2 m ago

stop living in dark ages, …stop living in dark ages, https://www.petrolprices.com/news/insurance-rises-older-drivers/older drivers always had lower premiums, now suddenly an increase? based on what?

First it doesn't have to be an older driver but an experienced driver. Second you still don't get it.

If you feel confident about it go for a higher excess, should bring the price down?🙄
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions